Just got EMT-B cert and drivers license

WZhen

Hi I recently just received the two required documents to become an EMT. I live in NYC and I am curious on how I can get a job as an EMT? I know I can apply for FDNY but since I have no experience at all, is there anyother place in NYC (preferably queens) that will hire rookies?

thanks,

W Zhen

1) What is your age?

2) When did you get your drivers license?

3) Do you have a yellow pages to look up private ambulance services phone numbers to ask if they are hiring anyone without experience?

4) Don't restrict yourself to Queens, try Brooklyn or Manhattan.

5) Regrettably, you're going to run into my old mantra, of "Don't go in the water until you learn how to swim".

6) If you are able to, if only for the field experience, try an unpaid Volunteer Ambulance Service. PM me with your area of Queens, and I'll give you a couple of VAS names, possibly including one where you live.

Welcome aboard, both to EMT City, and the ranks of NY State EMT-Bs living in NYC.

thanks for the response ;-)

1) What is your age? I will be 23y/o in september

2) When did you get your drivers license? July 2010, so I have very little experience driving as well.....

3) Do you have a yellow pages to look up private ambulance services phone numbers to ask if they are hiring anyone without experience? Sadly I never used yellow pages....

I live in flushing new york btw, so I'm assuming I have to Volunteer b4 I can get hired. How long do I have to volunteer usually b4 I can be considered to be on the payroll?

thanks again

If you're in Flushing, there's the Flushing Community Volunteer Ambulance Corps, web page http://www.freewebs.com/fcvac/

Nobody gets paid, so don't count on any volunteer ambulance giving you anything except experience.

As for going for the FDNY EMS Command, remember that they're looking more for Fire Fighters, even if they take you on as an EMT or Paramedic. Look up possible employment (getting paid!) at http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/home2.shtml

Most of the private services in the NYC area are inter facility transfer type services. There's more chance of Emergency calls with the volunteers but ultimately, the choice of which to try and join belongs to our original poster.

Most of the private services in the NYC area are inter facility transfer type services. There's more chance of Emergency calls with the volunteers but ultimately, the choice of which to try and join belongs to our original poster.

well at the end of the day, making some $$$ is important. Currently umemployed, I would like to volunteer but being broke just sucks :-(. Can you guys recommend me some good private services in the NYC area. Thanks :-)

• 1 month later...

Hello and welcome

I just got a new job in the Boston area as an IFT-BLS EMT with a local service so I understand where you’re both coming from. Before I was a US EMT I was a British EMT while I was in the Air Force stationed in the UK. Once I got out I got my US EMT cert and well here I am.

As a new EMT-B you’re looking at mostly Inter Facility Transport work with a privet Ambulance service, volly work or hospital ED work. You will be very hard pressed to find paying 911 EMS work as a basic but as a 911 volly you will find the connections you need to get jobs later down the line as your experience grows.

EMS is 90% boredom and 10% excitement so strap in for the long haul. But in all honestly being an EMT is allot of fun as long as you’re willing to learn and grow your knowledge base to be a good patient provider.

A few things:

1. In the NYC Area, there is really no such thing asa Good Private Ambulance Service, there are jsut degrees of bad.

They usually, treat their employees like crap, make you work long hours usually with little notice, pay close to minimum wage, and have barely enought equipment to be Part 800 compliant..

As for volunteering, if you do, there is usually no move up to paid level. You volunteer, and put that on your resume and eventually someone will TAKE A CHANCE ON YOU, if you know what i mean...

As for driving,, whomever recommended that you just go private and learn to drive,,,, many private companies and even some volunteer companies want drivers to either:

1. Be at least 21 years old, or

2. Be licensed for a set period of time, usually 1-3 years before they let you drive..... this is an INSURANCE company REQUIREMENT.

Whatever you decide good luck, apply for FDNY*EMS right away because that is the best paying EMT job in the NYC area right now.

good luck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.