Questions from a prospective EMS Convert

AlexOregon

Hi all-

I'm thinking about taking the plunge into an EMS career and have a few questions. I'm working as a graphic designer now, but am not passionate about art & design, which incidentally makes this career seem unappealing in the longterm. When I chose to get my degree in graphic design (as a beer-drinking college student) I thought it would be "fun" and "easy". It is both of those things, but entirely meaningless as an adult!

Some of the desires I think I would satisfy by working in EMS are: I want to feel like I'm making an impact in my community. I want to be challenged physically, mentally & emotionally. I would enjoy navigating chaos with a team while everyone else is running away. I want my work to feel "real," which is really a relative term to the work I'm doing now, which certainly does not feel "real" to me.

So a few questions for the seasoned EMS workers around here…

1. What aspects of being an EMT/Paramedic are you most passionate about? Are they the same things you THOUGHT you'd be passionate about when you started?

2. If you changed careers- do you regret leaving your "stable" job for something more tumultuous? Was working in EMS as rewarding as you had hoped it would be?

3. Do a lot of people burn out?

4. For the married folk out there- how has working in EMS challenged or strengthened your marriage? My husband and I are not trying to have kids anytime soon, but I imagine things will still change if I'm switching into such a demanding line of work.

5. Am I crazy?

Thanks for your help!!!

Alex

Edited by AlexOregon

Hi all-

I'm thinking about taking the plunge into an EMS career and have a few questions. I'm working as a graphic designer now, but am not passionate about art & design, which incidentally makes this career seem unappealing in the longterm. When I chose to get my degree in graphic design (as a beer-drinking college student) I thought it would be "fun" and "easy". It is both of those things, but entirely meaningless as an adult!

Some of the desires I think I would satisfy by working in EMS are: I want to feel like I'm making an impact in my community. I want to be challenged physically, mentally & emotionally. I would enjoy navigating chaos with a team while everyone else is running away. I want my work to feel "real," which is really a relative term to the work I'm doing now, which certainly does not feel "real" to me.

1. What aspects of being an EMT/Paramedic are you most passionate about? Are they the same things you THOUGHT you'd be passionate about when you started?

2. If you changed careers- do you regret leaving your "stable" job for something more tumultuous? Was working in EMS as rewarding as you had hoped it would be?

4. For the married folk out there- how has working in EMS challenged or strengthened your marriage? My husband and I are not trying to have kids anytime soon, but I imagine things will still change if I'm switching into such a demanding line of work.

5. Am I crazy?

Thanks for your help!!!

Alex

Welcome to the City. Great to have you.

I am relatively new to EMS my self so maybe I can help answer your questions.

I got into EMS to help people. I had no illusions of being a hero or what you see on TV. I just wanted to be their in peoples time of need and help. I still feel that way today and I do feel I do help people and have an impact on their lives. BUT one thing that changed since then is I now realize at that moment I am helping someone to them I am their hero. You get into peoples lives briefly but at the worst time of their life, noone calls us if they are OK (remember if they called THEY feel its necessary not you). So to them aty that moment you are like a hero to them. It has made my job more rewarding knowing that. It helps keep a smile on my face when the world comes down around you.

EMS is a second job for me and I am still in my "stable" job so I cant answer that. I can say that adding EMS as a second job did make me realize my stable job is boring LOL but I wouldnt leave it.

Burnout does happen. The easiest way it does is letting everything get under your skin and turning into a bitter EMT. I know a few that have and its not pretty. If its not a major trauma they feel they are not needed and take it out on everyone around them including patients. Its always a good idea to have an escape, something you do when not on duty to forget everything. Just decompress. A good thing to remeber is to talk about it. Be it with a professional councilr, a priest, whoever just get it outside of you and out there.

I am recently married and can say the marriage changed a little but I dont think for the worse. Their is bound to be days when it seems EMS is more important to you then your loved one as they see it. Their will be missed holidays, birthdays, anniversires and the like. Schedueling in EMS is a beotch, at least in my area. It has strengthened our marriage in other areas. When she see its getting to me, she is a rock and a shoulder to cry on. I dont get into details with her but let her know what I am feeling inside. This has helped us open new lines of communication with each other which, I feel, is always a good thing. Sometimes I see how proud she is of me in her eyes. It makes me feel proud

No. Your not crazy.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Hi and welcome. I am a current paramedic in Georgia at Grady. I have been in EMS for going on 16 years and have been in almost every aspect. I started out while in high school. I still love it. Some of us do burn out it happens. We see some of the worse of the worse and stupid of the stupid. At on minute we can be sitting still then screaming across town to a stubbed toe or worse yet a child in cardiac arrest. We have to remember that we got into this for the peolp. Oh and also we don't get paid that much. But seeing that one person who was dead literally then we walk thru the door and start our job and they turn around and start talking to us after treatment. Now about family life kinda depends on what your significant other does. I met my wife in EMS. So she understands the holdovers or early mornings. Soo its just having to understand that sometimes we don't want to talk or we want just to just scream.

Now if you are still interested I have my cardiac strip books at home and I will be more tbhan happy to print some from my everyday encounters. Just email me fireflightmedic1@gmail.com

Welcome! I think it's great that you are considering a position in this field and am impressed that you are doing a little research before you make the big leap. I started out as a first responder and have had the fantastic opportunity to work up the different levels which, I believe, has given me a fairly good vantage point. I recently graduated and am now working for a rural 911 service...which I really like.

To answer your questions:

I like that I have an opportunity to make a difference for someone who is in need. I don't have any misgivings about saving lives, but rather believe that even if I am holding the hand of the person who will die regardless of what I do...then I have made a small difference along the way. It may be for them or for their loved one. Even on a "simple" transfer, the thanks I get for my compassion is what makes it good. So far, it's what I expected when I started.

I not only changed careers, but I went back to school at the ripe ol' age of 43. In a few short weeks, I will be 46. Even with the 48 hour shifts...I have no regrets. I get in there and do the best I can and, if my best comes up a little short, I do more studying and research so coming up short doesn't happen again. Rewarding? Yes, so far.

Can't speak to that...I see too many junkies. (I'm referring to trauma junkies who thrive on this business.)

I'm married with a grown daughter...so I don't have to worry about the kid part. But, it is challenging to maintain a work-life balance. But, it can be done. You just learn early on what the expectations are and that the job is just what it is...emergency medical services. This means that in addition to my regular shift, I'm required to work a certain number of extra shifts as vacancies demand and that if there is any kind of disaster that I could be called in at a moments notice. Of course, I have a wonderful spouse who wants me to do what makes me happy. This makes me happy. I just make sure that, if at all possible, I don't work weekends if I don't have to so that he and I can be together...and then we maximize what other time we do have.

5. Am I crazy?

Someone wrote above "no, you aren't crazy". I think that you have to be a little crazy...and that is totally okay!

I started out as a first responder doing volunteer work for special events. As time progressed, I took a paid position doing transfers and special events. There finally came a point when I decided that I would make the final step and become a paramedic. No regrets. I'm tired when I get off shift...that's certain. But, no regrets.

If you have any questions you'd like to take offline, feel free to holler. toni_crippen@suddenlink.net

Toni

Welcome!!

I just got my basic and my national registry passed. I went to school in high school at a vo tech which started me into the health field, then I took a phlebotomy course, then medical assisting and now my basic. I am going to go back and get my paramedic. I chose EMS because it is never the same. I thought about going to nursing school and I did so many clinicals throughout my senior year in high school and medical assisting and decided that it wasn'y for me. I actually got accepted into a nursing program and turned it down to do my basic. I think you have to be a bit of an adrenaline junkie and a little crazy. I just want to help people. I know there will be days that I want to scream and I will probably see things that make me want to yak but if you have your heart into it anything is possible.

Good luck!

PS sorry for the horrible punctuation lol

Patient care and medicine.. its what I wanted and it is still what drives me.

Working EMS is totally rewarding to me. I do not regret leaving my old job. For me, it is everything I dreamed of and then some

Yes

Will widen the cracks in any marriage. Very difficult to have a family with the long hours, arduous shifts and high levels of stress.

5. Am I crazy?

I don't know, but it really helps in this job.

I am most passionate about helping people many time in their worse state. These thoughts are the same for the most part since ~2 years ago as I stated my EMS career. Sometimes it is the same or even the same patient which can get to you. I know that they still called me and want my help.

Well I never really changed career but I do find work in EMS decently rewarding. It is not the biggest $ maker but it pays the bills and people look up to you and expect your compassion and help.

I personally have not seen too many get burned out. Mainly it comes down to attitude and keeping it positive even when you feel used, abused, and are getting the short end of the stick. If I no longer enjoy my career than I will be looking for another as you are.

Well I have been in EMS just as long as I have been married so we are quite use to it. One challenge it puts on us is less time together. I work nights due to seniority with the company being a tad bit low so I don't see the wife as much and she has to spend a lot of nights alone. She is a nurse so it helps with her understanding the jobs ups and downs. I don't find the career that demanding that you can't have kids however medic class would be. I would suggest if you are seriously thinking about EMS that you get your paramedic. I also work every other weekend and many holidays.

5. Am I crazy?

See the above post :P I am not license to make this determination lol

Good luck in whatever you decide. Getting your EMT-B isn't too difficult and really doesn't take long. The down side is that you don't make much $. But it is a great way to get your feet wet and see if you would like to continue and possibly further your career by considering paramedic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.