Thoughts on death and dying

Just Plain Ruff

If there is an afterlife... if there is a higher power governing over us... I would like to believe that the experience would be different for every person. I would like to think that each after-life experience be unique to each individual. Everyone is unique in their own way, everyone believes in a different way. Why not have a post life production that is tailored to the individual? I have lived a life far different from anyone else on this board... as has everyone else. We all have taken different journey's and have metabolized that information differently from each other. I would like to think that each one of our moments of passage be just as personalized as our lives have been.

I would like to have Ruff's version come true for him... I would like Splenac's version to happen for him... I would like 4C6's Ass to glow brilliantly into the hereafter. We all lived differently, why would we pass on in the same way? Seems like that would be a rip-off.

If you believe in the Catholic's version of God, I hope that you see Him when it is your time. If you are a Buddhist, I hope that you keep coming back until you get it right. I would want everyone to get what they expected.

I am not a religious man. Spirituality is not one of my strong traits. I believe in Pro's and Con's. I hope that at the end of the line that the good deeds I have done outweigh the errors in judgments that I have committed. I don't believe in wiping the slate clean. I hope that whatever higher power awaits me takes the full picture of my efforts and is able to confidently say, "this guy did more good than bad, he's alright in my book." I want to be rewarded for my positive traits, but at the same time made accountable for my negative ones.

So... to answer your question Ruff. I think that it will be different for each one of us... with any luck. :)

• Like 1

Here are some famous people and their responses when they were told they had not long to live.

Source - David Jeremiah

We have it all wrong about death. We think it's to be dreaded, feared, and fretted about.

But when Francis of Assisi was told by his doctor that he hadn't long to live, he threw up his arms and shouted, "Welcome Sister Death! To me she is the gate of life." He immediately asked his friends to sing a hymn, and news of his exuberance spread through the city.

When the hymnist Frances Ridley Havergal was told by her doctor she hadn't long to live, she replied, "I thought so, but if I am going it is too good to be true!"

Missionary Adoniram Judson, realizing he was dying, said "I go with the gladness of a boy bounding away from school. I feel so strong in Christ."

The apostle Paul said, "We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord" (2 Corinthians 5:8). Because of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, we know that our Redeemer lives; and because He lives, we have eternal life through Him. And that makes all the difference.

In the words of William Shakespeare:

Cowards die many times before they are dead. The valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders which I yet have heard it seems to me most strange that man should fear, seeing that death - a necessary end - will come when it will come.

In the words of William Shakespeare:

Cowards die many times before they are dead. The valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders which I yet have heard it seems to me most strange that man should fear, seeing that death - a necessary end - will come when it will come.

I was putting together a list of other famous peoples responses to death or their response when they were told they were dying.

I'll get that out soon. The one posted by you was on that list. I can take it off.

thanks for the info.

I was putting together a list of other famous peoples responses to death or their response when they were told they were dying.

I'll get that out soon. The one posted by you was on that list. I can take it off.

thanks for the info.

Before you get too carried away with deathbed quotes...ensure their accuracy. There are many quotes which were created years after one's death by people loosely associated with the dead who had a theist agenda. Consider that your warning..if it is inaccurate, I will get ya! :):)

As an aside AK - your signature line "don't pray in our school and I won't think in your church" betrays a lack of biblical understanding and an ignorance of some of the best thinking in Western thought on theological matters. To make this as fundamentalist as I can, I refer you to 1 Thessalonians 5:21 (New International Version) which states "Test everything. Hold on to the good."

This injunction specifically refers to spiritual matters, but is a good philosophy for everything and is more congruent with what I know about you than your signature line.

I am surprised at you and in general, the uniformed populace which makes the totally unfounded assumption that faith = stupid.

As an aside AK - your signature line "don't pray in our school and I won't think in your church" betrays a lack of biblical understanding and an ignorance of some of the best thinking in Western thought on theological matters. To make this as fundamentalist as I can, I refer you to 1 Thessalonians 5:21 (New International Version) which states "Test everything. Hold on to the good."

This injunction specifically refers to spiritual matters, but is a good philosophy for everything and is more congruent with what I know about you than your signature line.

I am surprised at you and in general, the uniformed populace which makes the totally unfounded assumption that faith = stupid.

Its merely a retort for those who think that atheism = immoral/evil/bad. :)

And you assume I am part of the uninformed populace, yet know nothing of me. Faith does require an abandonment of logic and that is something I simply can not give up. Besides, if there were a god, don't you think she would be impressed that I am using the logic and reason she gifted me with to seek truth, wisdom and understanding?

Not to derail the thread, sorry Ruffles...we can start a new one or take this to PM...your call, but back on track from here.

Before you get too carried away with deathbed quotes...ensure their accuracy. There are many quotes which were created years after one's death by people loosely associated with the dead who had a theist agenda. Consider that your warning..if it is inaccurate, I will get ya! :):)

Hey, I know you will keep me honest.

That is the reason I will put a disclaimer on the future post saying that the quotes I have gathered I believe to be actually uttered by those who utter it but I cannot guarantee each and everyone of their authenticity.

I will endeavor to get them all right and attributed correctly.

I don't guarantee that I will nail everyone of them. I will give it the college try if you know what I mean.

Hey, I know you will keep me honest.

That is the reason I will put a disclaimer on the future post saying that the quotes I have gathered I believe to be actually uttered by those who utter it but I cannot guarantee each and everyone of their authenticity.

I will endeavor to get them all right and attributed correctly.

I don't guarantee that I will nail everyone of them. I will give it the college try if you know what I mean.

Ok..well be sure to scratch off Voltaire, Thomas Paine and if you quote any Kings of France make sure it is one with a number that actually existed and even then the quote is wrong according to historical reports.