Documentary on Women Working in EMS

SweatshopMedia

Dwayne the "knee jerk" is because some of us see the danger in contacting an unknown person. This guy could be a predator that gets gullible people looking for their 15 minutes of fame and attacks them. This is a scam used by many a sick individual. You can find old news report of perverts advertising for actresses, models, etc then raping and even killing them.

So he lists some supposed credits and supposed websites. It is easy to make fake websites that seem to support your claims. Oh and if I search the name I might find that name is a producer. But hey there is no way we know that is actually who you are contacting here. So perhaps his method throws up red flags.

I hope he is legit. If done right would be neat. But sadly if a producer he will show the single mom looking for a new baby daddy. He will portray the single moms as easy. Why because it sex sells. Look at the reality shows. they do all they can to get strangers to sleep with each other.

To the OP if you are real I apologize, but I hope you see where I am coming from. I do not want any of my friends to get hurt. I do hope if you are legit you will get some of us experienced providers involved behind the seems to help make sure that you do portray our profession in a positive light.

I think our profession is an example of how women are integrated into the workplace. I agree with Richard- 30 years ago when I started, I also had a husband and wife team who taught my first EMTB (then called A) class. I have no idea what happened to them, but maybe 1/4 of my class was female, even back then.

Dons Nomex suit and gets ready for flames...

Like any business or job, I don't care if you are a transgendered, one eyed midget, if you can do the job, more power to you, That said, for years, I DID see a difference in the job performance of women.

Example- Until the last 10 years or so, I only used 2 man stretchers- the old Ferno/Washington's. Whenever I worked with a woman, there WAS a difference. Most women- yes, there are exceptions- do not have the upper body strength of a man(even a smaller man), which is exactly what you need when loading that stretcher into an ambulance. As a youngster, it wasn't a big deal- you compensated for it, wrestled the rear wheels of the cot into the rig by yourself because your partner simply could not do it. As I put in more time, the shoulders and back began to protest, and I would rue the days when I would have a female partner. Carrying gear- same issue. I realized I was jeopardizing my health and well being.

When we finally got the "1 man" cots, it was a gift from the heavens. It equalized the playing field and the physical differences between the sexes on the job were severely reduced.

Look- I am a short guy who knows that a pro basketball or football career would have been a silly career choice. It's neither unfair, nor discriminatory, it's just reality. Like Clint Eastwood said- "A man (or woman ) needs to know his limitations." Why is this such a bad thing?

Same issue with being a firefighter. I've seen women who are phenomenal at their job, and I've seen many others who are clearly not qualified. Carrying an SCBA, a tool belt, a saw, a pike pole, a hand pump- they simply cannot do the job. Instead of accepting the limitations and differences between everyone, the standards were lowered and accommodations were made for women. That is wrong. Lowering standards does not level the playing field for anyone, it creates an artificial "equality" that helps nobody.

Again, I think our business is way ahead of the curve in terms of women in the workplace, and if this documentary shows that, then I'm all for it.

The last time I remember any type documentary of "The Women Of..." it was a Public Broadcasting Company (PBS) show on a unit of exclusively Lesbian Women in the Israeli Defense Force.

The last time I remember any type documentary of "The Women Of..." it was a Public Broadcasting Company (PBS) show on a unit of exclusively Lesbian Women in the Israeli Defense Force.

I think I saw that too. Wasn't it on Cinemax, late night???:dribble:

I think I saw that too. Wasn't it on Cinemax, late night???:dribble:

No. I don't have cable or "Sat-dish", all I have is antennas for broadcast. thus, no Cinemax.

Also, as stated, I saw it on PBS Channel Thirteen WNET.

Dwayne the "knee jerk" is because some of us see the danger in contacting an unknown person. This guy could be a predator that gets gullible people looking for their 15 minutes of fame and attacks them. This is a scam used by many a sick individual. You can find old news report of perverts advertising for actresses, models, etc then raping and even killing them.

So he lists some supposed credits and supposed websites. It is easy to make fake websites that seem to support your claims. Oh and if I search the name I might find that name is a producer. But hey there is no way we know that is actually who you are contacting here. So perhaps his method throws up red flags.

I hope he is legit. If done right would be neat. But sadly if a producer he will show the single mom looking for a new baby daddy. He will portray the single moms as easy. Why because it sex sells. Look at the reality shows. they do all they can to get strangers to sleep with each other.

To the OP if you are real I apologize, but I hope you see where I am coming from. I do not want any of my friends to get hurt. I do hope if you are legit you will get some of us experienced providers involved behind the seems to help make sure that you do portray our profession in a positive light.

Yeah man, I see your point. I wasn't really thinking of it along those lines....

Thanks for your response.

Dwayne

I happen to think this isn't a bad idea at all. So many of our kids don't really know what they want to do when they grow up that this could help them to see what is out there especially if it is represented well. This would be great for many types of jobs out there.

The other positive thing I see coming out of a documentary like this is for those...like me...who have a mid-life career change and aren't sure if they can do this. I see posts all the time from people wanting to know "do you think I can do this...because I'm not so sure".

I hope this project works out.

I happen to think this isn't a bad idea at all. So many of our kids don't really know what they want to do when they grow up that this could help them to see what is out there especially if it is represented well. This would be great for many types of jobs out there.

The other positive thing I see coming out of a documentary like this is for those...like me...who have a mid-life career change and aren't sure if they can do this. I see posts all the time from people wanting to know "do you think I can do this...because I'm not so sure".

I hope this project works out.

I agree if done right could be a good resource. But based on what little info lots of red flags.

Wait, there are chicks in EMS? When did that happen? The whole gigs bound to go to hell in a hand-basket now...I swear...

HEY NOW~~

I see tons more single women in EMS, and they have my friggin' respect, I'll tell you that. I'm not exactly sure how you care for kids, pay the bills, make it to little league, shop, argue with the ex husband, get almost no sleep what soever, and still come into work looking hot, and with a good attitude. I just really don't get that... Hey I still look HOT!! YOU SAID SO LMAO!! :)

Do single dads do as much? I would guess so, though I hope to never find out.... Ditto!! Just dont be a jackass!!

Nate, not the response you'd expected I'm guessing, though might be if you're familiar with EMS. It would have been significantly better had you responded to some of the questions, such as they were, instead of posting your request and then disappearing. Though I'm confident that many of the girls here likely gave you a call. (shake what yer momma gave ya Nate!!)

I hope your project is centered on respect and recognition of the ladies that do this thing we do, I hope your intent is healthy for them and for EMS, and if so, I hope it flies. Good to hear. (although the MRS may kick yer butt if you said anything different!!_:)

Dwayne

OK that said (my responses) I have read no further than Dwaynes post. Off to read more!