Newbie to the forums

emsfool

:wave: Just wanted to say hello. I am hopefully starting the paramedic program this fall or next spring. From just browsing around I hope if I have questions you guys and gals can help me answer them. :)

:wave: Just wanted to say hello. I am hopefully starting the paramedic program this fall or next spring. From just browsing around I hope if I have questions you guys and gals can help me answer them. :)

Welcome!!

Where are you from?

Why did you choose EMS as a career?

I am from North Carolina, I chose EMS as my career because I love to help people. I also love the fact that no matter what call you go on they are never the same. Ems does not get boring.

Wanna bet?

Phil, you are spot on

EMS does get boring when you are working for a non-emergency transfer service that all you do is transfer gramma betty from the nursing home to the hospital or hospital to the nursing home

When all you do for the entire day is do multiple dialysis transfers or patient transfers

When you spend the entire day in your ambulance on a street corner and only catch one call and it's a transfer from the hospital to the nursing home across the street.

When you spend 90% of your time sitting in a recliner or couch watching tv waiting for the call that never comes.

Every call you run is different but to say it never gets boring, you just haven't worked in enough places to make that assumption.

but we are truly glad to see you here on the forums. Ask lots of questions and listen and dont' get upset if the answers you get are not what you want to hear. There are many members here that have forgotten more EMS info than I have remembered.

Good luck on your career.

Phil, you are spot on

EMS does get boring when you are working for a non-emergency transfer service that all you do is transfer gramma betty from the nursing home to the hospital or hospital to the nursing home

When all you do for the entire day is do multiple dialysis transfers or patient transfers

When you spend the entire day in your ambulance on a street corner and only catch one call and it's a transfer from the hospital to the nursing home across the street.

When you spend 90% of your time sitting in a recliner or couch watching tv waiting for the call that never comes.

Then once every few months you get that one job where you truly do make a difference and it makes you remember just how much you love doing this, it makes wading through all the bread and butter jobs and the bullshit worth it.

Then once every few months you get that one job where you truly do make a difference and it makes you remember just how much you love doing this, it makes wading through all the bread and butter jobs and the bullshit worth it.

Absolutely, I didn't get to mention that.

Case in point - about 13 years ago

Was working for a small service, running about 1200 calls a year for 2 ambulances.

Had a two week period where all I did on the ambulance was nursing home transfers, interfacility transfers and the like. Seemed like every time I was up for transfer I was running one and the emergency 911 truck always seemed to get the good calls.

last call of the week, call on a chest pain. Get there, work her up for chest pain, no ekg changes, nothing big or anything like that right? walked her downstairs to the cot, put her in the ambulance and when we were backing out of the driveway she coded.

2 defibs later she's back and conscious. Transport emergency to the ER. She codes again in the ER. and then I get to take her to the city since no helicopter would fly that night. She codes 3 more times in the ambulance and was still being coded as we arrive to the hospital.

They get her back AGAIN.

Fast forward 5 days later. I call her home to get an update on her and a lady answered. I asked how Mrs J was doing and the lady on the phone says "Well this is Mrs J" I about fell out of my seat. I asked her how she was doing and she said "Aside from your partner breaking my sternum, I'm doing very well" Turns out she got an implantable defib and told me that had we not have been there and had it not been for all my treatment of her, she'd be dead.

She just passed away this past year, peacefully at home. I actually went to her funeral. I felt good that I helped her have additional years with her family. I know I'm not responsible for that but I helped make it happen.

that is the good part of EMS.

She just passed away

Welcome, emsfool. I'll echo the others here- depending on where you work, EMS can and will become routine. Even in an emergency service, often times the calls can become monotonous.

You need to dig a bit deeper as to why you want to remain and advance in this profession. Wanting to help folks is a pat answer, but as long as you understand that in the vast majority of cases- even with advanced training, your idea of helping someone may be very different than the realities of the job. You could have certifications up and down your arm, yet you end up doing interfacility transfers or calls for a 20 year old's sore toe on a 911 service.

Depending on where you work, you may have platoon work, you will have autonomy, unless you are a supervisor, you will certainly not be flying a desk, and you never do know what may happen next.

I have around 30 years in the business, have worked my way up from a Red Cross volunteer in a rural area, to a street level provider, been in management, taught EMS and university classes, and made various trips up and down between those jobs. I enjoy using my brain and problem solving bigger issues that affect the street level providers, but the thing that really gets my blood pumping is street work. When you get a "good call"- it doesn't have to be glamorous, blood and guts, or a ROSC save on an arrest, but simply one where your presence/gesture/actions made someone's situation a bit better- it makes all the BS worthwhile. Seeing a kid going from hysterics to smiling and happy simply because you acted like a goof and made her laugh- that's what it's all about.

The big drawback- and one I cannot overstate- this is a physically and psychologically demanding profession. It WILL take a toll on your body. COUNT on it. I am living proof.

As I sit here, I am recovering from my 2nd MI, with a 2nd stent placed 5 days ago now. I also nearly left this world this- went into V-tach for about 4 minutes until they shocked me back to the living. I have also yet to reach my 50th birthday.

The erratic hours, sleep deprivation, the poor eating habits, the stress, the poor lifestyle choices of the past, adrenaline surges and dumps, years of wear and tear- all are taking their toll. Did EMS cause all my problems? Of course not- I am the unfortunate recipient of bad genes on my dad's side of the family, but the lifestyle the profession causes certainly does not help.

I also cannot imagine doing anything else, but my circumstances may force me to reconsider.

I have no idea how old you are, your family situation, what your background is, your education, or where you live. I would strongly suggest you find a back up plan- another career you can step into if at some point, EMS becomes an untenable option.

Good luck in your career.

I am from North Carolina, I chose EMS as my career because I love to help people. I also love the fact that no matter what call you go on they are never the same. Ems does not get boring.

Where in the Tarheel are you located? There are a few of us in the City from NC. I'm in Pitt County and we have others from Wayne, Wake and a few others.

True, no two calls are identical. They may have similarities, but identical, very rarely. EMS was once described to me as "extended periods of boredom, interrupted by moments of sure terror." While not entirely true, the quote has some merit, depending on the service you work in.

Welcome to EMT City! You will find a wealth of information here and don't be afraid to ask questions. We were all in your shoes at one time. There are a great number of highly educated, well seasoned providers who are willing to share their experiences and knowledge with you!

Herbie brings up a great point. If EMS is truly what you want to do, then embrace it. If you want to use EMS as a stepping stone to further your medical career, than pursue that career. What ever you decide, you have come to a great place for reference.