Finally I have good news.

mrsbull

I FINALLY got a job!!! For those of you who know something about me I have not worked a "real" job in the last 11 mos. (With the exception of a movie I was makeup artist on and standby EMS) Unable to find a job here mostly, but I also was ill for 6 mos too with pancreatic issues. But money is/still will be tight but it will be easier to breathe and bills will be paid. The money is not what I would like but it is a job for now. So that makes me happy!

Well Tuesday I was looking on Craigslist (yea I know) and I found a job I wanted to apply for. I made arrangements to go fill out an app the next day. I was hired before I even finished my application. I am working as an EMT on the top of Pikes Peak (Americas Mountain). I started yesterday, tomorrow on the Peak. The same place where "America The Beautiful" was either written or inspired. I will be able to go up to to the summit for free (a 35$ save) Being on there daily will likely get OLD after a while. This also means for me I can get on the SAR team here. Yaay!!

This is what I love to do and working in EMS in such a beautiful area is even better. The weather conditions will be TERRIBLE at times. Times I will not even be able to get down the mountain. The Cog Rail will be my only way of transportation. (Costs 33 bucks for visitors) So It will be interesting to say the least. The summit is 14,110 feet with cliffs up to 3,000 feet (I think) in areas. So mostly I will be doing altitude sickness and some heart,falls and etc.

Anyone who works/worked on a mtn or has exp with altitude issues, please let me know what else I can expect.

My SOPs are WEIRD!! No meds up there via Med Control (altitude reasons I suppose) except O2. Pts must have own meds and my skills are limited. I will not even carry an epi pen, nitro (reasons unknown). Which is stupid because the rangers will take pts down and rescue can be up to an 1 1/2 depending on weather for als. If ANYONE has any info as to why this would be a SOP please let me know. I am from Colorado but am not a Mountain Girl so I am not too familiar with meds and effectiveness in altitude.

I asked about not doing something when I am supposed to. She said Med control knows and not to worry. If someone has issues with this protocol then to take it up with Med Control She also stated the company has DEEP pockets and Medical Lawyers.

Congrats!

I would figure that the limits in the protocals are to limit liability. Not sure. Maybe you can talk to the doc who's the med control at some point to get more information.

Good luck!

Congrats!

I would figure that the limits in the protocals are to limit liability. Not sure. Maybe you can talk to the doc who's the med control at some point to get more information.

Good luck!

Thanks!!

I may do that today. I am not working today. The Med Control is Dr Gifford at Memorial so I am a bit surprised that she feels that way.

Congrats! Finding a job here in CO is a pain right now so I'm glad you found something :D

It HAS been a struggle here in CO to find a job. Even tho the $ is not great but It beats working at Mc Donalds. Even tho their pay is likely more lol... Who knows...

I am just happy I et to work and work somewhere so pretty. Funny thing is there is at LEAST 2 of us on the summit, up to 7 at times. But EMS is supposed to meet the Cog Trains at the top and do a sweep assessment of tourists getting off the train. That should be fun!! (No sarcasm it should be fun :icecream::thumbsup: watching them get acclimated)

Edited to erase a double post.

Edited by mrsbull

During your 'down time', I'd be wiliing to bet that there are some great opportunities for panoramic pictures of the area!

Congrats on the job, it sounds like it might develop into a nature photography hobby too..win/win!

Your reference makes me think you personally know the main OLMC doctor. When you find out why she wants you to limit practices of your skills level, let us know by this string?

(I'm presuming it is all the Paramedics on this task she is not allowing to do full state protocols, and not just you, as that would be stranger than the limiting in the first place)

Richard yes it is all EMTs on the mountain not just me.

I have met her. She saved my DD actually when the RN who did not look at my DDs allergy bracelet and administered Rocephin (allergic to it) and DD went into anaphalaxys at a young 8 mos.

Make sure you brush up on altitude sickness. When I summited Pikes peak many tourists were having early symptoms relieved with O2 and a quick ride down. This summer at even lower altitude in the Rocky mountain national park had one have a heart attack probably because altitude sickness was missed. Thankfully all I was doing was vacationing and not involved in any of it.

Congrats sounds like you are on top of the world in more than one way.

Make sure you brush up on altitude sickness. When I summited Pikes peak many tourists were having early symptoms relieved with O2 and a quick ride down. This summer at even lower altitude in the Rocky mountain national park had one have a heart attack probably because altitude sickness was missed. Thankfully all I was doing was vacationing and not involved in any of it.

Congrats sounds like you are on top of the world in more than one way.

Thanks!!

I am not finding a lot online about altitude sickness. Mostly to check vitals (DUH) get a sat level apply o2 (amount varies for sat level) and monitor for worse SOB and CP n/v (very common) Needless to say that vomit covering sawdust type stuff will be on my person at ALL times lol. Re asses in 15-30 mins. Mostly things I know and common sense type stuff.

I will keep looking.

edited cause I cant spell UGH lol.

Edited by mrsbull