WEMT course

Hi Forum,

I am a non US citizen operating in hostile environments and thinking of getting some US medical quals on leave. First is NREMT-B.

To take the hassle/cost out of hotels/daily travel etc was thinking one of those live-in 1 month WEMT courses would be the way to go.

As to certificates/reg, the NREMT-B(or however its said, you know what I mean I hope) is all I am really after. The wilderness/remote aspect is just icing on the cake(or maybe useless fluff?) and somewhere to live.

Main question is do the groups like NOLs, solo, WMA etc indeed lead to the whole NREMT thing?

Also has anyone heard of www.remotemedical.com and their WEMT course in WA? as their website indicates they seem to have nice lodgings... :)

Thanks for any opinions on my masterplan

K

Edited by kthanid

Would the W in WEMT be "Wilderness"? Also, what is/are "NOLs, solo, and WMA"?

You mention you work in "hostile environments". Do you mean Hazardous Materials, bullets flying around, or "Mother Nature" trying to kill you? If the first, get some additional training in "Haz-Tec", if the second, "Combat Medic" style training might be the order of the day. If it's the "great outdoors", survivalist training probably would be a good idea, especially in ultra-cold regions.

If you expect to be working in areas where environmental conditions (mountaintop or deep forest) will make it be hours until you can move a patient to a helicopter medevac landing zone, "Wilderness EMT" would be appropriate. By the same thought, if working in a livestock or agricultural area, "Farm-Medic" is a good possibility.

I was trained in an urban area, have only worked in, and expect to continue only working in such environments. For me, "Wilderness" and "Farm-Medic" would only be nice things on my resume, but would be necessary, as I see it, were I to change over to such areas. However, the basic EMT training remains the same for all.

Hope that information helps.

Also, welcome to EMT City!

being a graduate of the NOLS WMI WEMT course... it is fantastic. Can't really speak to their EMT-B but I know of one other member of the site who did their EMT-B +1 which gave them their WEMT and NREMT-B.

I took it through Landmark Learning in Cullowhee, NC. They are an affiliate of NOLS and the program director there is great. You can stay in one of the cabins there with a bunk or tent it near the classroom. Beautiful part of the country in the smokey mountains and a neat little town with some awesome bars.

PM me if you need more info.

I've purchased equipment from Remote Med, but never looked into it any farther. Our WEMT course was sponsored by the University of Pennsylvania at Pittsburgh. I'm pretty sure it was a WEMSI course, b/c that's where the card came from. I wish they had a short refresher, b/c it's just too expensive to take the course twice. Gives a lot of supplemental knowledge, so you can better utilize your outside of the box thinking. Better if you take the advanced course. But you have to be in an area with set protocols, so you aren't acting under your state protocols, and thus violating the Scope of Practice. Most places where you would use WEMT, however, you don't need to worry about fine lines.

Hey welcome to the city, try not to double post/cross post.

You will get better help with more information, where are you coming from, what are your harsh conditions, what do you want to accomplish by becoming an EMT etc...

I am working in Afghanistan.As to what I do and why I want the EMT-B I am happy to tell you but it won't make any difference to my two main questions.

1. Do the WEMT groups such as Solo, NOLS, WMA etc who claim to offer an NREMT approved course, actually do so?

2. Has anyone heard of RMI?

I'll break it down. I want an NREMT-B cert and I want somewhere to live(as in on campus, or live-in facility with lodgings) while I do it.

Therefore my best option is.....?

PS thanks Kate and 4c6 for your info.

K

I am working in Afghanistan.As to what I do and why I want the EMT-B I am happy to tell you but it won't make any difference to my two main questions.

1. Do the WEMT groups such as Solo, NOLS, WMA etc who claim to offer an NREMT approved course, actually do so?

2. Has anyone heard of RMI?

I'll break it down. I want an NREMT-B cert and I want somewhere to live(as in on campus, or live-in facility with lodgings) while I do it.

Therefore my best option is.....?

PS thanks Kate and 4c6 for your info.

K

Where are you and who you work for? You can PM me...

EMT B is available at several bases there and quite doable depending on who you work for...FYI.

No problem.. WMI is under NOLS so they technically are one in the same. NOLS= National Outdoor Leadership School WMI= Wilderness Medicine Institute run by NOLS....

WMI does actually get you through NREMT as far as I know. E-mail the program directors though wmi@nols.edu

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/outlines/wemtoutline.shtml

If you go down to day 20 it include NREMT testing.

Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.