MVC's on the interstate

The other month I was heading north on I93 heading back to NH from RI, its a route I always take and I know it very well. It was about midnight and I saw a car with MA plates cut across three lanes of empty highway and cut off the only other car infront of me sending it into median guard rail. I saw the whole thing happen from about 100 feet back in the left lane. So I cut across and stoped about 100 feet ahead of the wreck.

I get out of my car and check out the werck and well no suprise the smell of cheep beer is everywhere. The guy seems to be fine with the exception of a large cut on his head. I call it into 911 just to get cut off by the 911 dispatcher as soon as I give her the mile marker, location and what happend. So after about 10 mins the state police showed up and arrested the guy and waited for EMS.

It just suprises me that not a soul from the many passing cars cared to stop or even slow down to look at the wreck. That just pisses me off in my opinion to high heck. I belive the best thing in life you can do is to help someone. Yet not a single soul cared to stop or even slow down to see if this guy was all right besides me. I keep alot of emergency stuff in my car just in case I come across a emergency and I know all of it will come in handy someday and just maybe help someone in need. I dont know if just Massachusetts or bad luck I just hope I dont crash my car there.

The question I ask all you fine folks is if you saw the same thing and no one was on the scene would you stop to help till the Emergency serivces got there?

Edited by +medic
  • Like 1

You will start a sh!t storm with this post.

However, unless I'm required to by law (there are a few places) No I will not.

IF another car comes plowing into that mess, who's going to pay my health/home bills ?

Who's going to take care of my family?

You have no barrier of protection, no one slowing down traffic, if it was at night no visibility on your person(reflectors anso class2 whatever the heck we're required to wear now.) No thanks.

• Like 1

The other month I was heading north on I93 heading back to NH from RI, its a route I always take and I know it very well. It was about midnight and I saw a car with MA plates cut across three lanes of empty highway and cut off the only other car infront of me sending it into median guard rail. I saw the whole thing happen from about 100 feet back in the left lane. So I cut across and stoped about 100 feet ahead of the wreck.

I get out of my car and check out the werck and well no suprise the smell of cheep beer is everywhere. The guy seems to be fine with the exception of a large cut on his head. I call it into 911 just to get cut off by the 911 dispatcher as soon as I give her the mile marker, location and what happend. So after about 10 mins the state police showed up and arrested the guy and waited for EMS.

It just suprises me that not a soul from the many passing cars cared to stop or even slow down to look at the wreck. That just pisses me off in my opinion to high heck. I belive the best thing in life you can do is to help someone. Yet not a single soul cared to stop or even slow down to see if this guy was all right besides me. I keep alot of emergency stuff in my car just in case I come across a emergency and I know all of it will come in handy someday and just maybe help someone in need. I dont know if just Massachusetts or bad luck I just hope I dont crash my car there.

The question I ask all you fine folks is if you saw the same thing and no one was on the scene would you stop to help till the Emergency serivces got there?

I have stopped and helped people from accidents all over this great country so yes i would have stopped and helped. If I get hurt helping than thats what my health insurance is for but at least i will have the satisfaction of helping.

• Like 2

You will start a sh!t storm with this post.

However, unless I'm required to by law (there are a few places) No I will not.

IF another car comes plowing into that mess, who's going to pay my health/home bills ?

Who's going to take care of my family?

You have no barrier of protection, no one slowing down traffic, if it was at night no visibility on your person(reflectors anso class2 whatever the heck we're required to wear now.) No thanks.

You make a good point and I respect that but its something I have always wonderd.

Maybe its just me but while I lived in England people just were kind and stoped to help. To me it just seems like common sense and a form of respect if no one elce is there.

I know it sounds stupid but yes I keep a reflective vest in my car since while I was stationed in the UK all cars were required to have them in the passenger compartment.

I apologize ahead of time for the impending shit storm that may start. I honestly was not intending to start anything or what not.

You make a good point and I respect that but its something I have always wonderd.

Maybe its just me but while I lived in England people just were kind and stoped to help. To me it just seems like common sense and a form of respect if no one elce is there.

I know it sounds stupid but yes I keep a reflective vest in my car since while I was stationed in the UK all cars were required to have them in the passenger compartment.

I apologize ahead of time for the impending shit storm that may start. I honestly was not intending to start anything or what not.

I have stopped off duty twice in my career. Once witness traumatic arrest. Did my immediate CPR help? No dead is dead, but that was not something I could drive away from.

Second I was on a date at an ice skating rink, (This Ice skating rink was in my primary area of response at one of my jobs) someone fell backwards nice open laceration to the back of their head, and someone with a rental skate with no skills rammed into her, with the front of his skate going into the top of the pt's head. I took no immediate action just moved myself to the side, when the EMT's working the rink showed they didn't have a clue and asked the patient to stand up I shoved them out of the way, took over patient care. Told them to call 9-1-1 and I maintained the patient and began minor care prior to the units arrival. I will admit there is a certain 'cool' factor that was involved here since I was on a date.

I don't see car accidents in the realm of my stopping. There is too much that can happen to me to hurt me long term as I mentioned earlier.

Is it a little cold hearted? Maybe, but besides trying to calm a patient and holding c-spine what can you do for these patients?

Please note: I'm not saying I would not call the accidents in to 9-1-I

• Like 1

Barring a few rare circumstances, I wouldn't stop at a car crash either. Especially if I didn't witness the accident and there are other people already stopped, I see no reason how my presence there on the side of the highway would do any good at all.

• Like 2

There is not much to do at a wreck off duty. I, as an interstate/highway driver, would rather that cars pass me and keep the flow of traffic moving out of respect for the other drivers that have places to be. Slowing down, stopping, causing congestion and confusion do not help much. Add that to their inability to positively help the situation, and I say they can keep on truckin'...

The only time I could see stopping to help is if there are extreme temperatures. Offering a vehicle for air conditioning would be a nice gesture.

• Like 2

Unless I know the person involved in the wreck I'm not stopping. I don't carry a kit or supplies to be used on other people, just me.

Sometimes knowing the person is more of a reason to not stop and help :D:thumbsup:

There is a clear line of demarcation in the training and education continuum amongst EMS providers, which pops up every so often. It usually involves the "would you stop?" discussions. :rolleyes:

Edited by scott33

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.