85 or 99? What to do?

Which test to take?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

Actually most LPN's are not collegiate level thus the wording LPN or in some states LVN ( pratical or vocational), yes in some states ones whom finish the first year of the RN program, maybe eligible to sit in the LPN/ NCLEX boards. As well most LPN programs have internal anatomy & physiology, math, etc similar to most of the Paramedic programs, thus the comparison of LPN = Paramedic in pay, education level. Most of the Paramedic programs consist like the LPN program 14 months in length.

That is why it is so important for the change in paradigm thinking of placing the Paramedic level in a collegiate level setting. To have equal to and require the same level of education for the Paramedic as an RN.

EMT I/99 is just an excuse for the system not to pay, recognize and establish EMS systems properly. Half or partial systems should be removed, there is no excuse not to perform a full program if there is so much similarities. I even question why anyone would want to participate in such programs, unless they are in a program to continue on. Multiple levels and acronyms of EMT's does nothing but promote dilution of the system and allows fragmentation for professional development, pay and patient care.

If anything is worth doing .. then do it right, if not don't it all and allow someone else that will perform it correctly.

R/r 911

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridryder 911, I guess I stand corrected. All of the LPN programs that I have known were college level. Then again, I only know those programs specific to my area of the country. brock8024, it looks like you can disregard my prior post. :oops:

Take care,

chbare.

Yeah, LPN programs for the most part have routinely been vocational, it was not until recently (10 years) they too have been shifting to some college level. This is nice to see the change as well. But overall many are still either vocational or private business schools listed or named as a college, but are really still a business or trade school.

This is why labor and professional organizations list Paramedics as skilled labor and technically trained, not educated, the same as an LPN. This again, the importance of removing our education from such institutions and being placed in a collegiate level setting.

As one that deals with many vocational programs and their educational philosophy, I can assure the EMT I/99 is just right up their alley. The main purposes is to fulfill the need and immediate fix of the community. Although this is a nice intention, this has repercussions of a profession and extenuating problems later.

It really does not mater where one receives the patch from, however the opportunities and requirements for that speciality and as well general education is better provided at a collegiate setting. This is the only way we as a profession will gain the well deserved respect, pay, and career development.

R/r 911

Ridryder911, that is too bad. I thought LPN education was more college level, I am disappointed to hear that there are still many vocational type programs. (I really thought this was phasing out) Most of the LPN's that I work with have a year of college under their belt, then again, it is a big country. I wish people could see that you can train anybody to do anything, but education is a different animal. That is the beauty of professional education programs. (MD, RN, etc.) (*Good professional education programs.) You are educated first, then after you are educated and have a solid foundation, you can receive that training in skills and procedures. In any event, this has gotten way off topic. Regardless of my feelings toward EMT-I training, I cannot deny that passing EMT-I/99 is an achievement, and I am quite sure that Rezq304 has worked hard. I do wish Rezq304 all of the luck in the world on passing the written exam.

Take care,

chbare.

Once again thanks CHBare. Yes, I feel that I've worked hard and actually went above and beyond my program when I felt it necessary. Luckily, I'm one of those people that has to know WHY things happen rather than just knowing what will happen. i'm big into Pathophysiology. unfortunately, I have not yet gotten to attend an A/P class other than your basic intro level, but I definitely plan of working one into my curriculum on my way to a Bachelor's in EMS. I must say though, i found Biology to be VERY useful, even if at first it didn't seem as if it would apply to my field.

Just a little background into the program I'm attending. It is a two year associate's program toward Paramedic. EMT-I/99 is just a one year stop for those that feel they would benefit from the field experience. Also, I agree with Rid that Virginia's multi-level certification is diluting the work force with "cheaper labor" for lack of a better term. While I can understand that some people have reasoned to stop at I/99, I don't feel it is helping the workforce. Man, I feel like I'm just following behind Rid and beating the same drum. Anyway, back to point. EMT-I is a nice level to have, but it should not be the ultimate goal.

Maryland is also a "I-99" state....an NREMT-I 99 can obtain a MD CRT card and operate as a "medic" Anne Arundel Co... and I believe Montgomery Co. allows ALS providers to be either I 99 or P's,, but the standing orders and some of the skills sets are different.. this is because as stated volunteers can obtain I-99 more easily than P....

that having been said,, if you have a choice take the I 99 i dont know if any many areas still recognize I-85 as it is 20 + yrs old.... I know VA and MD do not unless you were originally certified as such prior to 99....

And like someone else said,,,, I is a good start, but strive for EMT-P or CC-EMT-P the higher the better in some cases ,,, the more clinical knowledge you have the better clinician you will be.