• Greg Biffle
    • Rusty Wallace
    • Mark Martin
    • Jeremy Mayfield
    • Kurt Busch
    • Carl Edwards
    • Ryan Newman
    • Jeff Gordon

Some guy making a lot of left turns. I don't watch NASCAR.

Hey, there are two races each year where they have to make right turns. They are also making those left turns at almost 200mph with only a few inches between them and every car around them.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

???????????

What's NASCAR????????

Being from Alaska I guess we can forgive you for not knowing what NASCAR is. North American Stock Car Auto Racing. It's the most popular stock car racing series in the world.

Where's the choice for "Who Cares?" :lol:

I never understood how racing could be a "sport" when all yo do is drive straight and turn left. But that's just me.

I do love the highlights on ESPN for the crashes though. Does that make me a bad person?

Devin

I used to feel the same way, until I started watching and realize what is actually involved. While I would not classify it as a "sport" it is just as physically intense, if not more, as most sports. Imagine driving your ambulance code 3 at almost 200mph for 500 miles. Imagine the amount of mental concentration it takes to avoid getting into one of those crashes (hey, eveyone loves to watch a good crash, anyone who tells you they don't is lying). Unlike those athletes in the traditional sports, the drivers don't get many breaks. They are running on adrenaline for hours on end. It's not like football or baseball (if you consider that a sport) where you have a few seconds of play followed by a longer lull in the action. There are no time outs, no half time show, no 7th inning stretch. Once it starts, with very few exceptions it goes till it's over. I'm not trying to convert anyone, but just respect the fact that there is more to it than just go fast, turn left and that is just as physically and more mentally demanding than traditional sports.

Let's be honest, here. A lot of race fans don't go to see the fancy cars, root on the drivers, or to get that tobacco juice down the back of their necks.

They go to see someone crash spectacularly!

There are those who do go for the first bunch of reasons, too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.