Happy EMS Week

Happy 2010 EMS Week!!!

Just wondering, what are you doing for EMS Week this year?

We have a Gourney Rodeo, gift card drawings, BINGO, Ice Cream Social :icecream:

lunch with fire (not sure how I am gonna eat around a fire :D ), pancake breakfast, and lunch at several ERs. We may also wear EMS Week T-Shirts rather than our usually uniform.

Going to the Rodeo here in just a bit, really not a 100 percent sure what I am getting into but I figured what the heck. Not sure how much of the other stuff I will actually be involved with as I work the graveyard shift but it is nice to have to opportunity.

Have fun out there and enjoy the week.

• Like 1

All the hospital based crews, that are always at said hospital, steal - err take all the free stuff with in an hour of it being put out. Therefore, there's nothing left for those who transport there. So, I have yet to get anything for EMS week, unless I bought it myself. Didn't this year, still waiting for EMS to be recognized, waiting for that banner across the front page of the paper-like firemen get in October. Those who wait, really don't get shit, so I don't know who's getting spoiled. It's just another Monday here.

If anything, one may describe it as depressing, rather than fun. Tiring, maybe? I think I'm headed for my tri-annual burn out.

For me I'm unfortunately working for most of it.

My service's EMS Week Committee is doing the following:

- Participating in a big kick off event in Downtown Toronto w/ 8 other services. Showing off trucks, staff and equipment for the public.

- EMS Family day at a local community centre with BBQ, CPR and AED awareness, displays, children's activities and a sponsored free skate in the rink

- Lunch and Learn for other regional staff: Non-ems regional staff get to come for a free lunch and learn CPR from our Paramedics.

- Displays at local malls and public buildings with staff and vehicles on hand to teach the public

- A large TV segment on TO's Breakfast Television this morning at one of our stations. I only caught some of it, but what I saw was a reporter wearing a Tactical Medic's body armour, attempting to intubate a dummy.

- Paramedics preparing and serving lunch to a group of seniors at a local church.

- EMS Recognition Night: Annual staff banquet and awards night.

- Large sandwich board signs out front of most EMS bases

I think there's a few other events going on but I can't remember at the moment and for some reason the service intranet isn't letting me access it to check.

Never been to a rodeo. I can treat anything, the worse the injury, the better. But seeing it happen, no thanks. I get that "feeling" in my mid section, you know what I mean, can't describe it.. Like when someone on TV smashes on the ground and their femur snaps in half and moves? Yeah, I couldn't watch a rodeo... But I'd love to standby at one. I like demo derbies, though!

All the hospital based crews, that are always at said hospital, steal - err take all the free stuff with in an hour of it being put out. Therefore, there's nothing left for those who transport there. So, I have yet to get anything for EMS week, unless I bought it myself.

Actually that's what's bugging me a bit about EMS week. The service is doing tonnes for public education and promoting the profession, but not all that much for the crews. Even the BBQ we had at the family day wasn't free for on-duty crews. But you know in the grand scheme of things, I'll benefit more I hope from good public education about the profession, then a free hotdog.

Sadly not working in the field means I don't get any of the fun stuff. Though I am planning on stopping by a couple of near by stations and just saying thanks. If I was still asigned a room I would have my kids make a "Thank You" book for them too. :D

Grrrrr....

I get to enjoy EMS week- and then some- at home.

Slipped and fell down the stairs at home and fractured a rib(Officially did not get the word but does not matter since the treatment is the same.) Based on the location and type of pain, I'd bet the mortgage it's a fx. (They asked if I really wanted the X-ray and I declined)

The dilaudid worked well with with Toradol and Valium in the ER, but Vicodin and Valium at home are NOT cutting it. Waiting for my doc to call back and have pity on me for something better. Thankfully the break is low, posterior and lateral so breathing isn't affected. Had one of those before- no fun either. Still hurts like a sonofagun when I move the wrong way.

NOT a good time for this- way too many things planned in the next couple weeks.

Hopefully my partner will collect any goodies the ER's happen to be giving out.

So far I've got a, "Why did you bring him here for that?", from a knocked up nurse who didn't want to be at work today. I begged her forgiveness and stated that I was not allowed to refuse a requested transport. She replied with a roll of the eyes, and stated, "well what am I suppose to do for him?". I had a whole host of replies run through my head, but I smiled wishing her a nice day and returned to my short bus with flashy lights.

One of the local ER's put out some stuff, but I didn't make it there yet. I'm sure it was picked over very well by now, lol! Hope everyone has a safe EMS week, well a safe week every week for that matter.

Edited by AT-Medic
  • Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.