G'day

intub8u

Phil, we all know it's just your street cred that we love. You put on a good front but there is no-one I'd rather have as my EMS crew partner in Australia than you.

Thanks Ruff. Means a lot.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As one of the faculty say here, you just have to open a Weet Bix box to get certified in the US (and they aint lyin!) :D

Have you worked EMS in Australia? If so how do you like it compared to the US?

Open up a Weet Bix box? Really? I think that's pretty funny, and I can see your point. At the same time, this is not "breakfast cereal" program. Unfortunately the paramedic program I am in will take ANYONE with or without EMT experience, and that boils my blood. The 2 years I have as EMT experience has only barely scratched the surface on how much I have seen, so I couldn't imagine going into paramedic school without at least 1 - 2 years experience. I have also told many people that Paramedic training in the most of this country is not long enough. I have learned so much in the last 8 months (which is how long the classroom portion of the program is - mind you, some programs do it in 5 months :o ) but I have also put everything I have into it. I have literally had no life. Some states (Oregan, Washington State) require you to have your bachelor's in Paramedicine in order to work as a paramedic in those states (I'm sure there are more US states that require it, too).

I haven't actually worked EMS in Aus, as I have been in California since I was 18, so all my EMS training has been over here.

POINT BEING! (Sorry, got sidetracked)

I would love for someone to tell me if I am at least able to enter into the bachelor's program with ASNSW with some training credit. I figured I would probably have to do more training or whatever it may be, but maybe one of you could share your insight or if you work for ASNSW, ask someone for me. I have some options working in hospitals in Sydney while I am still in school, I would just like to know if ANYTHING I am doing right now is helping me advance my career in Australia.

And Paramedics working in California don't get paid anything. It ranges between $12 - 24/hr depending where you go..so I guess you could say the pay matches the amount of training. I feel I have more knowledge than most who go through my program, mainly because I actually want to learn the information, and this is my passion (most kids who do it over here, do it to get a fire job).

sorry that was extremely long..hopefully nobody gets bored half way through and gives up ;)

Oregon requires an Associates Degree (two year) and we have the Weet Bix box joke because in the US you can be a Paramedic in as little as 12 weeks + couople hundred hours of skills practicals without so much as an introductory anatmy class.

If you want ASNSW info, call the ASNSW.

Edited by kiwimedic

Oregon requires an Associates Degree (two year) and we have the Weet Bix box joke because in the US you can be a Paramedic in as little as 12 weeks + couople hundred hours of skills practicals without so much as an introductory anatmy class.

If you want ASNSW info, call the ASNSW.

I'm curious..where in the US can you go to a 12 week paramedic class with 200 hours clinical/skills/internship?

Open up a Weet Bix box? Really? I think that's pretty funny, and I can see your point. At the same time, this is not "breakfast cereal" program. Unfortunately the paramedic program I am in will take ANYONE with or without EMT experience, and that boils my blood. The 2 years I have as EMT experience has only barely scratched the surface on how much I have seen, so I couldn't imagine going into paramedic school without at least 1 - 2 years experience. I have also told many people that Paramedic training in the most of this country is not long enough. I have learned so much in the last 8 months (which is how long the classroom portion of the program is - mind you, some programs do it in 5 months :o ) but I have also put everything I have into it. I have literally had no life. Some states (Oregan, Washington State) require you to have your bachelor's in Paramedicine in order to work as a paramedic in those states (I'm sure there are more US states that require it, too).

I haven't actually worked EMS in Aus, as I have been in California since I was 18, so all my EMS training has been over here.

POINT BEING! (Sorry, got sidetracked)

I would love for someone to tell me if I am at least able to enter into the bachelor's program with ASNSW with some training credit. I figured I would probably have to do more training or whatever it may be, but maybe one of you could share your insight or if you work for ASNSW, ask someone for me. I have some options working in hospitals in Sydney while I am still in school, I would just like to know if ANYTHING I am doing right now is helping me advance my career in Australia.

And Paramedics working in California don't get paid anything. It ranges between $12 - 24/hr depending where you go..so I guess you could say the pay matches the amount of training. I feel I have more knowledge than most who go through my program, mainly because I actually want to learn the information, and this is my passion (most kids who do it over here, do it to get a fire job).

sorry that was extremely long..hopefully nobody gets bored half way through and gives up ;)

Speak to CSU to see what they may give you, but dont hold your breath.

From experience, I would suggest that you consider general entry over uni entry & then undertake your studies as a distance education option.

ASNSW is now offering more options that just Intensive Care Paramedics & you would be surprised at what is taught at the lower levels, as well as the Extended Care options. There is also less resentment among those with on road experience due to the attitudes demonstrated by those with the degree.

Off topic, but...

Weet Bix has been mentioned numerous times in EMT City. What is/are they, and what country are they from? Is/are it a food, or a snack food? If I understand the concept, this Weet Bix comes with some prize or minor gift in the box, like Cracker Jacks. Is that the case?

Off topic, but...

Weet Bix has been mentioned numerous times in EMT City. What is/are they, and what country are they from? Is/are it a food, or a snack food? If I understand the concept, this Weet Bix comes with some prize or minor gift in the box, like Cracker Jacks. Is that the case?

Richard, Weet-Bix are a food (breakfast) staple here. The link will explain it mate!!!!!

U can eat them with Vegemite on them as well!!!!!!

Then finish off by using your Tim Tam as a straw to drink your coffee.

Hope this helps Richard!!!!!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.