2 Dead in Iowa ambo crash

ambodriver

http://www.ems1.com/ambulances-emergency-vehicles/articles/818785-2-killed-in-Iowa-ambulance-crash/

This is horrible. Remember always pass on the right, even if it makes you go around further.

Be safe out there guys!

2 killed in Iowa ambulance crash2 dead and 3 injured in collision Thursday

KCC1.com

Photo courtesy KCC1.com

Rescue crews arrive on the scene of the crash that killed a patient and nurse

BOONE, Iowa — A paramedic with significant injuries fought to save her patient and an ambulance driver on Thursday following a crash in Boone County.

Rescue crews arriving on the scene said the paramedic, Wendy Baker, told them her co-worker in the back of the ambulance was dead. Baker then continued to move back and forth treating the patient in the back of the ambulance as well as the driver.

"She was working so hard I had to physically remove her from the ambulance scene because she didn't want to give up her patients," said Boone County Deputy Brian Pontius. "I don't even know her name."

Officials said the patient in the ambulance died as well as the nurse in the back of the ambulance. The nurse, Sheryl Stoolman, 53, had worked at the hospital in Carroll for more than 26 years.

Officials said the ambulance ran into the back of the semi tractor-trailer as the vehicles rolled down Highway 30 near the town of Beaver at 11:26 a.m. The roadway was closed in both directions as multiple rescue crews worked to move the victims to hospitals.

"The semi driver was going to make a turn," Deputy Pontius said. "He checked his mirrors to make that turn. He realized the ambulance was behind him running red lights and pulled to the right. The unfortunate part was the ambulance saw the semi and he also pulled to the right and they hit each other. The ambulance hit the back of the semi."

The ambulance driver was flown by air ambulance to Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines.

Officials said the ambulance was taking a patient in critical condition from the St. Anthony Regional Hospital in Carroll to a Des Moines hospital.

"In an ambulance situation, the personnel in the back don't wear seat belts because they were attending to a patient," Pontius said.

Two people are dead following the crash and three more injured. Norbert Hoffman, 75, of Carroll, and Stoolman, of Carroll, died in the crash.

Wendy Baker, 45, of Carroll, and Robert Genzen, 46, of Manning, were injured. The driver of the semi, Dennis Good, 49, of Ogden, did not have serious injuries.

Witnesses said the Carroll County ambulance's entire engine compartment and cab were completely crushed.

The paramedic is recovering at the Greene County Medical Center in Jefferson. The Carroll County Sheriff said she is doing well.

The crash investigation will likely be turned over to the Iowa State Patrol.

Republished with permission from KCC1.com

Edited by ambodriver

Remember always pass on the right, even if it makes you go around further.

You had it correct in the title, but somehow screwed it up in your post.

But yeah, it's the most basic rule of emergency driving, yet one of the most frequently violated. It always amazes me that I actually have to tell rookies more than once. Violation of this rule should be legal justification for bitch slapping your partner on the spot. It's not rocket surgery.

Here is another story from area newspaper: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20100514/NEWS/5140351/1001/-Hospital-Hero-dies-as-semi-ambulance-hit

I am only replying to this post as it involves people relatively close to my area. It's a shame that this happens quite often. I agree, what is the reason to pass on the right? Another thing is why is he following the semi so close that the semi cannot see the ambulance in his mirrors until the last moment. A lot of things to discuss, especially not wearing seatbelts in the back. I don't care if you working on a patient or not, they need to be worn.

I wonder if the cot in back had the shoulder harness system so in a collision of this type, the patient would not end up missle-ing to the front.

This is one reason we are incorporating all students to go through the driver simulator (a complete ambulance version) with various types of driving condition scenarios, to hopefully see that you have a much greater responsibility.

Sorry, I will stop rambling...................

Horrible. This is EXACTLY the reason you always pass on the left. Even if you have to sit behind someone and blare on the siren and air horn, you wait until THEY pull over.

One situation that I HATE is on the highway when traffic is backed up and the only available access is the right shoulder. It's dangerous but cannot be helped since there is no way to move multiple lanes of gridlocked traffic over onto a single shoulder. I cringe all the way to the scene and pray that nobody from the right lane decides to move over and cut us off.

"In an ambulance situation, the personnel in the back don't wear seat belts because they were attending to a patient," Pontius said.

Nope... sorry. Once you get used to wearing a seat belt (like any change in routine, it is awkward at first), there's very little reason to be sitting down and not seat belted.

One situation that I HATE is on the highway when traffic is backed up and the only available access is the right shoulder. It's dangerous but cannot be helped since there is no way to move multiple lanes of gridlocked traffic over onto a single shoulder. I cringe all the way to the scene and pray that nobody from the right lane decides to move over and cut us off.

Have you tried shutting off your light bar during that maneuver. With just the box lights on (primary or secondary), you are less noticeable to the traffic in front while giving a, "Don't follow us" message to those behind you. This might be the only situation where you don't want to the people in front of you to see you since you want them to stay where they are.

Edited by JPINFV

Often overlooked... slow down!!!! Make sure there is distance between you and the other traffic and ALWAYS anticipate other drivers doing something dumb.

AGREED! Too many times, the person driving the ambulance forgets that the 10 seconds it takes to slow down and make sure the other drivers see you will not kill your patient, but going too fast, and not being defensive enough will possibly get your patient, your medic, and you killed.

A very sad situation, and heartbreaking for the family, friends, and co-workers of those killed. This could have been so easily avoided, and hopefully, someone else can learn from this tragedy.

Nope... sorry. Once you get used to wearing a seat belt (like any change in routine, it is awkward at first), there's very little reason to be sitting down and not seat belted.

Have you tried shutting off your light bar during that maneuver. With just the box lights on (primary or secondary), you are less noticeable to the traffic in front while giving a, "Don't follow us" message to those behind you. This might be the only situation where you don't want to the people in front of you to see you since you want them to stay where they are.

No, because it's a liability issue. If you are responding to an emergency and do not have your lights and siren activated and get in an accident, you will be at fault- at least in terms of department policy. I honestly don't know about law enforcement's side of the equation. Even though you could present a strong argument to defend what you suggested, it would still be a loser. If- gawd forbid- someone was injured or killed as you were sneaking down the shoulder, the lawyers could easily say that the victims had no idea an emergency vehicle was coming and go after the city and department for damages- and they would win.

Like I said-riding the shoulder is a last resort and when done, it's only at a crawl.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.