Online Pharmacology Class

I'm looking to start medic school this coming year. First I have to take my prerequisite classes though. I'm overseas for at least the next several months and, although I can do some internet research, it adds a challenge to truly researching things. I'm looking for an online pharmacology class. Any suggestions? I need one that's reasonably priced and is also available internationally. I'd also be interested in an online A&P class if there's a good option for that. I've googled it, but am not coming up with anything that looks really good yet. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanx.:)

Edited by Starlight

There is no good option for an online A&P class. If there is one, it sucks. And most programmes won't accept one that did not include a lab component anyhow, so you will have wasted your time and money.

I don't know who does an online pharm class, but I'm betting someone does. And I don't see any problem with taking it by distance. Just a fair warning, if you have never done distance learning before, don't try more than one class at a time. It turns out to not be for a LOT of people, and there are no refunds for figuring that out.

Good luck!

• Like 1

There is no good option for an online A&P class. If there is one, it sucks. And most programmes won't accept one that did not include a lab component anyhow, so you will have wasted your time and money.

I don't know who does an online pharm class, but I'm betting someone does. And I don't see any problem with taking it by distance. Just a fair warning, if you have never done distance learning before, don't try more than one class at a time. It turns out to not be for a LOT of people, and there are no refunds for figuring that out.

Good luck!

I would not go as far and say no good option.......

MIT ( Massachusetts Institue of Technology) provides many outstanding lectures and video courses online free of charge...I have literally watched 2 semesters worth of various MBA and Health courses.....

MIT LINK

Just click on the Health Sciences and Technology link, or go to the video courses, or whatever else you need.....

Many top rated schools have put their lectures and courses online for free. One just has to know where to look...

Respectfully,

JW

EDIT......In fact, I just went through HST 151 Principles of Pharmacology, ( found under the Health Sciences link) The lecture notes are all in PDF form and are VERY GOOD! Let me know what you think...

Edited by Jwade

I would not go as far and say no good option.......

I would. If you don't receive college credit for it, it ain't a good option.

I would. If you don't receive college credit for it, it ain't a good option.

I just want to do it for two reasons: 1) When it comes time to take my EMT-B class, and then work as a basic, I want as much understanding of medications as possible. I think it will better help me to help someone on a call. 2) When the time comes for my medic class its more review for me. I have heard how hard Paramedic school is, and I am hoping that by having A&P and Pharm. as a review, it will take a little bit of the stress off.

For you, it's better than nothing, although far from ideal. But for the OP -- to whom my answers were intended -- it is specifically for a prerequisite requirement, meaning he needs college credit, so no, it's not a good deal.

@ Dust, I certainly understand that an online a & p course would not be ideal (and maybe impossible), but I thought I'd seen something about being able to take it over the internet even with a lab section with some special technology or something. I'm just trying to be open-minded due to my situation. It's highly unlikely that I'll go that route. I would be interested to see if anybody else has actually done that though.

I would like to take at least one or two of the prerequisites at a community college back in the States this fall, but seeing the schedule it looks like it might not be possible to take more than one or two though as the schedules over-lap.

Here's a question though, for the medic class I hope to take they have two prerequisites (basic a & p and college algebra) and one (pharmacology) that's strongly recommended, but not required. What's your suggestion? Do you think that a pharmacology class is really worth the extra trouble?

Thanks, Lisa, for the link. I think I've seen that one before. It certainly could be a possibility.

This is the one I'm actually really thinking about right now: www.canyoncollege.edu/cc/naturopathic/syllabus/nh720.htm

But I still need to get a hold of them to check on price and so forth. It can really be a challenge from long-distance like this.

I'd like to continue to hear any suggestions. Especially from people who have actually already taken the class online.

Thanks, guys.:)

And, yes, for specification (as Dust already said) the classes do have to be accredited and a & p does need to include a lab section.

Maybe this will help.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4513374_anatomy-physiology-online-accredited.html

How to take Anatomy & Physiology online - Accredited

By luvxoni, eHow Member

Article Rating: (13 Ratings)

take Anatomy & Physiology online - AccreditedList of accredited institutions that offer A&P online, and steps to help with an online class.

.Difficulty: Moderately EasyInstructions.Things You'll Need:

•Desire

•Time

•Motivation

Step

1Choose a school or program that is right for you.:

1.) Excelsior College (EXAM) - https://www.excelsior.edu - make sure your school excepts the credits (most do).

2.) Mayville State University (Course/Lab)- https://www.mayvillestate.edu/worldwide_learning/courses/msu_template.cfm?page=departments&mode=new - Classes updated at the start of the semester (July,December,April).

3.)Corexel.com - accredited CEU (check with your school to make sure they'll accept the credit).

Step

2After you've chosen a program. Set aside time to spend on your studies, because online and self study classes take time and dedication. Most are not easy, but all are doable.

Step

3Stick to your schedule and do all assigned work (if applicable). Answer questions at the end of the chapters and make use of all the supplementary resources that are included with the program.

Step

4Make use of additional online resources. Forums, other programs, free sites...ect. ** Check out some of the listing on this page.

Once you're prepared. Schedule & take your test.

Heres another link with discussion.

http://allnurses.com/pre-nursing-student/line-anatomy-physiology-305119.html