Dealing with child abuse cases

Absolutely things bother me I don't think "I" would be OK mentally if they didn't. But do I let it get to me to where I can't do my job? No.

You have zero control over it. There is no "letting" it get to you. It just does.

One of the many reasons that mothers shouldn't be in EMS.

One of the many reasons that mothers shouldn't be in EMS.

Dust, that has to be one of the most unfounded comments you have ever made. What the hell does that have to do with anything???? And where do you draw the line? Should we not let men into EMS, because they might see a pregnant woman and not be able to deal with it, or because they might joke about the nakedf breasts of the day? Do we not let fathers into EMS for the same reason that we don't want mothers in EMS? Do we not let people who are not parents into EMS because they haven't had children? How about those who have had a traumatic event in their lives? Maybe someone who has just broken up with their boyfriend/girlfriend shouldn't be allowed to respond to domestic dispute calls... How about someone who has spent time in Iraq or Afghanistan because they might have PTSD?

That comment was unprofessional. I realize that it is your opinion only, and as your opinion, you are entitled to it, just as others are entitled to their opinion that you are completely out of line with that thinking.

If someone can do the job well, they can do the job well. I don't care if they are a mother or not.

Oh yeah - before anyone posts that I have my feathers ruffled because I am a mom... I'm not.

• Like 3

Okay, let me then amend it to say that parents in general should not be in EMS. Not just mothers.

All of my best partners have been single males with no children. I stick with what works best for me.

• Like 1

Okay, let me then amend it to say that parents in general should not be in EMS. Not just mothers.

All of my best partners have been single males with no children. I stick with what works best for me.

Hmmm, I have had the opposite experiance...but lets not sideline this discussion.....

For what its worth, if anyone is interested, here is one of my canned presentations. I hope that some of you may find it useful.

http://www.slideshare.net/croaker260/child-abuse-389911

Now, in my experiancre, having dealt with a number of cases, I have found that pediatric cases are sometimes more difficult since I have young children (a boy and a girl) simply because if I dont force myself to ignore it...sometimes I se emy little kids in their place. The closer they are in appearance the harder it is. Thats the hard part. Doesnt make much sense, but what can you do?

But I have 19 years in this buisness, keeping focus is what we do. And I get the job done. Thats what we all do if we are worth our salt.

• Like 1

I consider myself human, so some calls do bother me. I do find myself in professional "mode" during the call, but afterwards find myself reflecting on the call.

Not too long ago we were called to a house by PD for 2 children that were neglected. The house is on a street that I go by quite often. I always look at the house (now vacant I assume) and think of those little kids hoping that they are in much better circumstances.

Venting with my wife does seem to help alittle, but I have come to realize that besides my job of reporting, patient care, documentation, etc, there is not much more I can do. I try my best not to bring work home, and for the most part I don't, but sometimes you just need someone to talk to, that may just simply need to listen. I have a great wife, and I try to return the favor for her where I can.

Bottling things up and acting as if your invencible is not wise! At least not in my personal experience.

So first of all I would like to congradulate Dust Bunny on his first Negative Yahoooooo! Now I cant remember if he has spawn or not.

When I suspect Child Abuse first and formost I agree with everyone you must Document everything that you see on the child and in the childs environment. It dosnt matter if you may think it isnt important to jot down it is in the end. Do not ever ask who you maybe suspecting as an abuser if they hurt the child as they may make you go away, and then the child may be harmed further and never look or sound like you are making any judgement towards the parents. And if that happens you call the cops.

When Im transporting the patient I try to make the parent sit in the front (dependant of age) of the ambulance so that I can have some private time with the child. It is not always clear on who the abuser is, some signs are you watch the child as they answer your questions, are they looking at the parent for approval, is there a pause and one good indication is that an abused child will show more affection to the abuser because that is who they are seeking the approval from.

At one time we were suppose to inform the attending DR of your suspisions, but they where finding that DRs were not calling in the social workers so now I am required by law that if i suspect any abuse I am the one responsible to inform child services.

One other thing that you should be aware of is that there are certain religous ceremonies like cupping and blue birthmarks most prevelant on the bottoms or legs of aboriginal and black babies that can give the apperance of child abuse.

Dealing with this type of call can be very detrimental to your own well being, you have to be prepared to have an outlet for your frustrations. I personally have 1 hr of down time by myself everyday and if I have a terrible call I make sure that I talk to my unit chief as he has always been able to draw out what the real issue is. But the hardest thing to not do is beat the crap out of the abuser when you see them walking around town like nothing ever happened.

One other thing you should always keep in mind is that a child is very honest for the most part. For example My niece aged 5 slipped in between the front steps and they way her leg was, when her mother pulled on her to get her out she broke her leg. When she was asked what happened she stated her mother did it. There was an investigation but the mom was cleared. So one thing is that you will have a gut feeling and if you do make sure you act on it.

Thread title changed to reflect content. "What would you do" is a specifically prohibited thread title in the rules.

I don't handle them any different than any other run, and they don't bother me in the least. If they bother you, you should leave the profession, because there is no way to change that.

SO you are saying that experiencing my former partner choosing to murder his child should have had no effect on me? Along with going on multiple injuries from child abuse and other things. All of these experiences have taken a little piece of my heart and made me the caring provider I am. There are times I do get angery, but I've seen both sides of the fence, parents desperately trying to do the best they can, struggling hard and unfortunately it just isn't enough for no fault of their own. THey're working, but make just over public assistance poverty level. It's sad. Those make me change my mind. THink before you act, and don't judge - you don't know where that person has been or would you would do in those shoes. We can say what we like, but we haven't been there. Be professional, documment everything, and let the others handle it and do their job. Past that, it's no longer our responsibility, but to give the child the best of treatment we can in the limited time that we have them.

SO you are saying that experiencing my former partner choosing to murder his child should have had no effect on me?

No. I'm saying it should have no more effect on you than if he had murdered his mother.

I think we all suspected...

:P

/humor

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.