Deputies Handcuff Fire Captain Trying to Aid Woman

scubanurse

The system I worked the longest in, first at a private ambulance serv. and later on the Fire Dept. In the city, didn't matter who got there first, treatment was initiated. But once the Fire Medic got there he was in charge unless they trusted the private Medic. Most of the time it worked out fine. I worked both agencies and seen it from both sides. Police NEVER interfered with us. Most of the time they helped us doing what they can. A few times we were delayed because an arrested pt. was in with someonoe calming them done and was progressing on calming them down. We didn't have a problem. The way it was set up was that Fire was in charge of EMS and the private ambulance transported, Just like John and Roy, LOL

But in the article it does sound like a power struggle. I don't know how to express in typing words how I can argue all of it. Maybe a little later I can figure out what to say.

Edited by firedoc5

There are already some Sheriff's Departments that are either starting or currently have non-transporting ALS services. These Deputies are involved in law enforcement duties, and are trained as Paramedics.

So much has been said against Fire and EMS being combined, and the loudest statement heard is, "'You can't provide two uniquely diverse services, and be more than 'proficient' in either".

How is it that this statement supposedly rings true in the whole 'Fire Vs EMS' debate, but not when Law Enforcement steps into the EMS arena? Is it that EMS is so focused on what Fire does, that they have simply discounted Law Enforcement from possibly stepping into the fray?

While it's been said that Fire and EMS are too 'diverse' to be compatible, how is it that Law Enforcement and EMS are more closely related?

Scenario:

Law Enforcement Officer to suspect: "Drop that weapon or I'll have to shoot you!"

Suspect to Law Enforcement Officer: "You ain't takin' me alive!"

Law Enforcement Officer to suspect: "Last warning; drop the weapon or I will shoot you!"

Suspect to Law Enforcement Officer: "Eat lead, cop!"

BANG!

Law Enforcement Officer on the radio: Adam-12 to dispatch, suspect down/shots fired. Begining ALS care. Notify EMS to send a rig for transport."

Law Enforcement Officer on the radio: Rampart, we have a 27 year old male, GSW."

While the above scenario is fictitious, it is representative of 'real life situations' that can and DO occur with Law Enforcement providing EMS services.

This is more compatible than having to doff a fire helmet and bunker coat after yanking someone from a burning building?

As funding begins to dwindle more and more local goverment agencies will be looking at new ways to increase budgets. This will by no means be the last we see of this type of incident.

• Like 1

We already have battle lines established here, for Fire Service based EMS, and against. While I have not seen it displayed too openly here, I suspect there is a similar battle going on for Law Enforcement Officer's service based EMS as well.

What the article describes seems to be a "Battle of the Badges".

I hate this type battle.

To me, the only Battle of the Badges I want to hear about should be sanctioned by the agencies involved boxing matches, Soccer games, baseball/softball games, hockey games, ski races, bicycle races, or car races (at legal car racetracks or drag strips) that benefit families of LODD personnel.

I've worked for a dual-role department and trust me, it's a nightmare. Currently, they have moved away from the police/ems role and have separated the sides within the department (with a director of EMS and a chief of police).

Cops should be cops.

Medics should be medics.

Firemen should be firemen.

Firemen and policemen are more than welcome to help on an EMS call.

Regarding this; I'm not sure how the laws work in Colorado but being a police office does not discount you from being charged with "interfering with a 911 call" in Texas. Sounds like the Sheriff's department is not dispatching correctly (with prejudiced) and not utilizing resources appropriately (dispatching fire to medical calls which I understand is protocol there).

• Like 2

Finally somebody who understands a bunch of Firefighters standing around in thier getup doing nothing are not any use!

Sounds like something out of Mother, Jugs and Speed ..... oh no you didn't :D

what I can't seem to wrap my head around is this:

You openly bash firefighters as being 'useless', yet countless numbers of us have heard how you come from a 'pro fire service' family', and you yourself have said on countless occasions how you'd like to become an engineer.

You can't have it both ways, and the hypocrisy stops here! Either you're 'pro fire service' or you're 'anti fire service' ... make a stand and quit trying to side with the side that's winning at the moment!

• Like 2

If you have a sufficent number of Ambulance Officers treating the patient, what use can a bunch of Firefighters standing around doing nothing be???

Firefighters are good for holding bags of fluid, but so are cops and members of the public! Infact, Firefighters are better at at holding bags of fluid than the public, they always want to squeeze the darn bag.

• Like 2

If you have a sufficent number of Ambulance Officers treating the patient, what use can a bunch of Firefighters standing around doing nothing be???

From the article:

The two other fire crew members left the scene after they were threatened with jail, too.

The ambulance crew eventually transported the woman to the local hospital, but not before calling back the two firefighters for assistance

Edited by brentoli
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.