TRAUMA - Episode 14, March 29

OK.. so why the negative... come on.. state the reason. Don't just negative and then not say why. That indicates a lack of intestinal fortitude and possible lack of debating skills. If it will derail the thread, then start another one. How else would I learn anything?

The NBC series "Trauma" was lambasted by the emergency medical community when it launched in the fall for factual mistakes and an inaccurate portrayal of that world.

Indeed, more than a few said it was a weak imitation of "Emergency!," the 1972 series with Randolph Mantooth and Kevin Tighe as California paramedics that many held up as the best portrayal of EMS life.

Executive producer Dario Scardapane is well aware of the comparisons.

"I think our DNA and 'Emergency's' DNA are very, very close, and I was at first really, really shocked by the paramedic backlash," Scardapane said yesterday. "And in a sick way, I kinda got into it to find a way to learn how to do the show better."

Full Article

I love how the sniper just had to be Canadian. I mean geez I know those people from Ontario are crazy but to go on a rampage in San Fransisco. Yes Rabbit looks like his spirit has been broken a little (well he has stopped doing as stupid things as he used to) But I like how they threw in him shaking up Tylers energy drink, broken but still Rabbit.

The medicine is ok, still wondering why she pulled the leads off the STEMI's chest after she did her first 12-lead though, do we not monitor people having a heart attack anymore? And why all the negativity towards Nancy?

And has anyone ever seen a surgical incision like that? I thought she was going to say she woke up in her bathtub surrounded by ice

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, because I haven't been monitoring these threads as last night was the first time I watched (and then only the second half...)

But...

I want those triage times!! Where somebody greets me at the door and takes my patient and MY STRETCHER away from me... so I have time to flirt with all the nurses!! (When do they get their stretchers back, anyways?)

Yay for no more 3+ hour waits with your patient in the triage line...

Wishful thinking...

(Yes, I know it's TV and they can't drag it out, but geez, make it a little more like real life!)

If I had a buck everytime I was called a "medic", Id be able to retire.....

It seems to me that the American public only has knowledge of us as "Ambulance Drivers" or "Paramedics". The title "EMT" does not seem to be in their lexicon.

When they stop to talk with us, particularly the kids, it's "Are you a Paramedic?" "How fast does the truck go?" or the ever popular "Why does it say 'Ambulance' backwards on the hood?"

Now, as for my dissecting of the episode:

1) Reality strikes! They show the ambulances being washed and stocked.

2) Tyler's uniform has been updated to now have a Paramedic Patch.

3) Hit and run driver just looks at his victim and walks away with a bag. Anyone else feel that it telegraphs something in the bag is going to be used later in the episode?

4) Treating the hit and run driver's victim, when shots are fired, and cops and firefighters are falling around them, wounded, of course Nancy and Glen stand up to load the "pedstruck".

5) Glen and Doc Diane discuss the shooting. Seems she cares.

6) The captain does a rendition of Hill Street's Sgt Philip Freemason Esterhaus' famous "Hey! Let's be careful out there!" in effect, if not the exact wording.

7) Boone's wife is understandably wanting him to come home, as uniformed personnel seem to be becoming targets.

8) It seems kind of strange that now Rabbit is the "by the book" person (due to still being on probation?), and Marisa is now the "wild child".

9) Nice field diagnosis of the liver rejection by Tyler, freshly read up on the topic. (Comment noted by other poster on waking up in the tub in ice)

10) Glen and Nancy are jumpy, in same situation knowing a sniper is out there, wouldn't you be jumpy?

11) Realistic touch again, that the ER is backed up when field personnel decide, for their own safety, that everyone is a "load and go".

12) Dumb nurse, telling Diane that Greg is a two timer. MDs can make RNs lives difficult. The confrontation between Glen and Diane is telling their relationship is in trouble.

13) Tyler and Boone's "Spidey Sense" kicked in just in time to avoid getting shot (gotta review the tape to see something shot out of Tyler's hand).

14) I agree with Boone's comment that things are shook up for Tyler, as I am also a talkative one, and when upset, I have a tendency to shut up, too.

15) Boone is ready to ask for emergency leave, in deference to his wife, but when realizing that someone else would have to take the tours already vacated, he "Cowboy's up". Due to his problems with his wife in the first 3 episodes, this is probably going to come back and haunt him.

16) Glen has had multiple relationships with nurses? This is going to harm, or end, the relationship with Doc Diane.

17) The other Paramedic's "Spidey Sense" kicks in too late, and they're shot. Thought the second one going down was a head shot.

18) Sniper doing shots to head, legs, other spots not covered by the vests. He knows!

19) Good, if unsuccessful attempt on Nancy's part, trying to tell the cop on how to do himself a tournequet.

20) Rabbit "steals" an ambulance, first leaving the other personnel scrambling for cover, to use as a shield against, and distraction to, the sniper.

22) With the sniper rifle, the metal of an ambulance is no match against; only an engine block is sufficient defence against the rifle.

23) SWAT locates the sniper as Rabbit drives the "moving target", "flash-bang's" him, and shoots him.

24) Realistic that they would not want Nancy, or anyone, to take care of the now wounded sniper, feel that they'd save the time and expense of the trial and incarceration by letting him die. Where is SFPD's Inspector "Dirty" Harry Callaghan when you need him?

25) Nancy is also correct that by following SWAT's directive to let him die, they were no better than the sniper.

26) SFPD Captain wants SFFD EMS Captain to administratively "go after" Rabbit. It must be public knowledge in the emergency services that Rabbit is still on probation.

27) Diane must really love Glen, as she now asks for his exclusivity. Back at her, because he agrees to it.

28) Boone and Tyler must really be settling in as a team of Paramedics, as Boone, not usually known for joking in that manner, refers to their duo as a "Pair-O-Medics".

29) Old standby for formula script writing, that the supervisor opens a drawer, and there's the bottle of booze.

29-A) Shares the bottle with Rabbit.

29-B) Does anyone have an agency protocol allowing alcoholic beverages on the premises? I don't think so.

30) Rabbit is ready to turn in his "cert" card, but Captain won't let him. Who would fire a man responsible for the saving of the lives of 2 Paramedics and a LEO? (Nothing stated on what this will do with Rabbit's probation.)

Edited by Richard B the EMT

29-B) Does anyone have an agency protocol allowing alcoholic beverages on the premises? I don't think so.

Really? I thought this was SOP for all those Long Island volly houses.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.