A new BCAS?

Government reorganizing B.C. Ambulance Service

The B.C. government is reorganizing the B.C. Ambulance Service, Health Minister Kevin Falcon announced Thursday, saying the move will help address some of the issues that led to last year's paramedics' strike.

By Vancouver Sun

The B.C. government is reorganizing the B.C. Ambulance Service, Health Minister Kevin Falcon announced Thursday, saying the move will help address some of the issues that led to last year's paramedics' strike.

But the paramedics say it could be used to attack their union.

The government is removing oversight of the ambulance service from the independent Emergency Health Services Commission and handing it to the Provincial Health Services Authority, which looks after province-wide programs such as B.C. Children's Hospital and cardiac care throughout B.C.

"What we are doing is more closely integrating [the ambulance service] with the health system," Falcon said.

He said the transfer will mean more flexibility, which could be used to help rural paramedics who don't have enough work to make a living wage, and part-time workers who want more shifts.

For example, he said, paramedics could be put to work in emergency rooms or health centres.

The health ministry is also consolidating administrative services in other areas to eliminate duplication and cut costs. Moving the ambulance service into the PHSA could translate into an ability to find even more savings.

Last year's strike by paramedics, which followed bitter contract negotiations, ended with the government legislating paramedics back to work.

A spokesman for Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 873, which represents the province's 3,500 paramedics and dispatchers, criticized Thursday's announcement.

"This is nothing short of retribution by a vindictive health minister," B.J. Chute said. Chute said he thinks the move could lead to privatization of some services now provided by the ambulance service and too dismantling of the service's bargaining unit.

Edited by Jamie Hersey
  • Like 1

Sad thing about this is the fact that alot of medics in remote area's were I live have full time jobs already and may have to choose. Well I would have to choose the one that pays the bills and my community will be at risk. The lucky thing about my day job is that I can leave to do a call and make up the hours, and I do about 106 to 140 hrs per pay period. I also know if they decided to have the health authorities take over the ambulance there will be alot of paramedics handing in their notice, Northern Health for one has a crappy track record for their employees. Good luck BCAS in finding dedicatated paramedics in the future. Oh ya and we are now not a CUPE union, we are free agents for now lol.

• Like 1

For the official BC Ministry of Health Services announcement see the following link.

NEW AMBULANCE SERVICE MODEL TO BENEFIT PATIENTS

When it comes right down to it nobody really knows what all the implications are at this point. Falling under the Provincial Health Services Authority will improve opportunities for integration but it will also increase vulnerability to ill advised service privatisation exponentially.

Given the track records of Gordon Campbell and Kevin Falcon I highly doubt the move was made for the good of the service. Does anyone remember what happened when Alta.Tel and BCTel merged to form Telus? It didn't take long for Telus (a profitable crown corporation putting money back in the pockets of canadians) to be bought out by other interests did it.

I would love to be able to put a positive spin on this but the current provincial government here in BC makes that extremely difficult.

For the official BC Ministry of Health Services announcement see the following link.

NEW AMBULANCE SERVICE MODEL TO BENEFIT PATIENTS

When it comes right down to it nobody really knows what all the implications are at this point. Falling under the Provincial Health Services Authority will improve opportunities for integration but it will also increase vulnerability to ill advised service privatisation exponentially.

Given the track records of Gordon Campbell and Kevin Falcon I highly doubt the move was made for the good of the service. Does anyone remember what happened when Alta.Tel and BCTel merged to form Telus? It didn't take long for Telus (a profitable crown corporation putting money back in the pockets of canadians) to be bought out by other interests did it.

I would love to be able to put a positive spin on this but the current provincial government here in BC makes that extremely difficult.

Maybe some big conglomerate will come in and take over the ambulance service providing better working and wages. Wait, that won't happen. sorry now back to you regularly scheduled thread.

Speaking of turmoil, our little ambulance service is going through some, not nearly as big as yours but it's pretty significant. I sort of feel your all's pain.

Reinvent the wheel when one just needs new tires gezz Comrade Gordon Campbell : look east and just see how well restructuring is working in AB ... do we need a G 13 to get provinces to "STANDARDIZE" themselves ?

He said the transfer will mean more flexibility, which could be used to help rural paramedics who don't have enough work to make a living wage, and part-time workers who want more shifts.

For example, he said, paramedics could be put to work in emergency rooms or health centres.

Oh good the same rhetoric we heard about in AB from Liepert, so get all the HSAA, IAFF and RN Unions fighting over turf wars and then reappoint a HSAA union with multiple disciplines to be thrown into a brown paper bag ... yea thats right we have so many Paramedics working in Health Care Centers today .<insert cough>

Just where did that Liepert go ? He did such a great job appointing a "Super Duper Duplicating Health Board".

Thats right a new portfolio the Minister of Resources and bowing to big oil business, giving prime resources away at rock bottom prices ... ps a cardinal sign of a looming election is my bet, buying big oil votes.

Time for a change in Government I would say ... when is the next election in BC ?

To some thats what it means to me it means Cant Understand Paramedic Ever

I don't know if that should make me laugh or cry. It does seem to be the consensus amongst a lot of BC paramedics right now.

Reinvent the wheel when one just needs new tires gezz Comrade Gordon Campbell : look east and just see how well restructuring is working in AB ... do we need a G 13 to get provinces to "STANDARDIZE" themselves ?

Realistically we need the Feds to take away some of the provinces ability to “interpret” the Canada Health Act as they see fit. Every once and a while it becomes important for the federal government to slap the provinces around and let them know they have to consider the national implications of the decisions they make.

Oh good the same rhetoric we heard about in AB from Liepert, so get all the HSAA, IAFF and RN Unions fighting over turf wars and then reappoint a HSAA union with multiple disciplines to be thrown into a brown paper bag ... yea thats right we have so many Paramedics working in Health Care Centers today .<insert cough>

Considering BCNU’s recent attempt at raiding LPN’s from HEU, amongst other shady dealings, the BCNU can get bent as far as I’m concerned. Looking back on the BCNU’s repeated attempts to take over positions normally held by specialized paramedics I can’t help but feel as though there is a little bit of justice in expanding paramedic roles into areas nurses see as threatening. They can’t have it both ways screaming “shortage” one day and trying to take over other healthcare providers jobs the next. Which is it? Are we short nurses or are there so many nurses they need to expand into other non-traditional roles?

Time for a change in Government I would say ... when is the next election in BC ?

We’ve got a ways to go yet. It’s only been a little less than a year since the last provincial election. Impeachment may be the order of the day at this rate although I wouldn’t exactly call the NDP my favourite political party either. One party will annihilate the public service while the other will destroy mining and oil/gas.

Considering BCNU’s recent attempt at raiding LPN’s from HEU, amongst other shady dealings, the BCNU can get bent as far as I’m concerned. Looking back on the BCNU’s repeated attempts to take over positions normally held by specialized paramedics I can’t help but feel as though there is a little bit of justice in expanding paramedic roles into areas nurses see as threatening. They can’t have it both ways screaming “shortage” one day and trying to take over other healthcare providers jobs the next. Which is it? Are we short nurses or are there so many nurses they need to expand into other non-traditional roles?

Hello,

What specialized paramedic positions are we talking about in BC? The only thing that I can think of is air ambulance off hand. But, I am not sure. For the BCNU that seems like a small target when compared to pushing for NP and things like that.

As for Paramedics working in different areas in the hospital. This is a good think. For example, when I work in Halifax a few years back Paramedics staffed the Triage Desk in the ED. Or, having a patient holding area staffed by Paramedics in the ED. Thereby freeing up crews waiting to transfer care of their patients.

Being exposed to treatment and management of patients within the hospital only could improve one's clinical skills and knowledge base. IMHO.

There is a shortage in nursing. For the most part the shortage is in special care area (NICU,ICU,CCU,ED) due to the time required to gain the skills and knowledge necessary to be proficient in these settings. Also, lets not forget about the burn out rate. Plus, in the entry level ward positions were one spends there dealing with high acuity patients and bad staffing ratios are always short. Heck, just looking at any hospital nursing positions open and you will see plenty unfilled positions in theses areas.

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.