48hr Shifts

tcripp

Here in the next few weeks, I will start my first paramedic job that brings along with it a 48/96 shift. Yep, you guessed it...it's rural with 2 days on and 4 days off.

I'd like to hear from others who work (or have worked) this length to get insight on what to expect and any suggestions to manage the long shift. I'm sure it's not much different than a 24...but sometimes the vets have great insight!

Hey, welcome to the City!

Spenac is our resident expert on long shifts. However, I can offer my experiences from the limited number of 48's I have worked. There is a great difference between 24's and 48's, I would think it to be especially difficult in the extreme rural environment. The time just seems to drag on, at least it did for me. What they do offer is plenty of time to study, do some online classes, read that book you always want to read. It's really hard to explain.

Bring plenty of food, water, extra uniforms, your own towel ( I just despise when some get's a towel out of the ambulance to take a shower. Seriously?), books, magazines, games, extra boots ( you never know when you will need them and it's better to bring them and not need them, than to need them and not have them), I think you get the idea.

If you are running numerous calls, nap when you can. If it's kinda slow the time will drag. Just remember to use your downtime wisely.

Congrats on the new job!

Spenac is our resident expert on long shifts.

Well thank you I guess. I used to work 2 weeks on 1 week off, sometimes longer on duty if someone sick or on vacation. Spent a couple of years doing 4-6 days on with 8-12 days off and loved that it was like getting vacation every month unless I wasted the days off doing part time work.

Currently I do 48/96. It's ok but just not enough days off to do much when your used to the long periods off duty.

Keys to survival:

1. Do not agree to work 48 hour shifts if it is a busy service where the odds are you will not get at least 8 hours straight each 24 to sleep.

2. Bring your own pillows, sheets, and blankets, not bad idea to carry some sort of bed pad ( ie egg crate foam, memory foam ). This serves multiple purposes such as makes you feel more at home, makes sure you do not have to worry about the other peoples bugs crawling onto you :doctor: , and who knows if those sheets and blankets were actually washed or someone lazy just folded and put up.

3. Bring your own towel and some shower shoes. See number 2 and use your imagination of things worse.

4. Have some healthy food and snacks with you.

5. Carry some educational material so you increase your knowledge during down time.

6. Carry some time wasters, such as DVD's, laptop, books that relax you, etc so you can just relax as well.

7. If you have a hobby you might bring some items with you.

8. Bring extra uniforms, sleep clothes, work out clothes, etc so you can change as needed.

9. I carry a small exercise device (steel-bow currently) that helps me do Isometric exercises and based on how I do them I don't have to get all sweaty but I still can stay in shape.

Basically you need to make the place home or you go crazy. And as was mentioned sleep often so if it becomes the rare busy shift you can tough it out safely.

Hey, welcome to the City!

Congrats on the new job!

Thanks, Jake.

Thank you both for the input! Most of what you wrote is what I had considered...well, everything except the bugs. EWW! I hadn't thought about a bed pad or shower shoes, but I will now. In addition, I will also consider a can of Lysol as part of my permanent gear.

On my 12s and 24s, I used a sleeping bag but found that most uncomfortable for anything more than a few hours of sleep. I might use that between the bed and sheets, thought.

I'm not so worried about the call volume as this is a rural area with approx 300 calls per month divided between 4 stations with 2 of the stations being traditionally slower. I will have to worry about the other extreme. I'm also an instructor and think I can use this time to create new classes, grade papers, etc. Who knows, maybe I'll look in to Netflix!

I like the idea about isometric exercises. I could only imagine exercise being limited to walking circles in station which was absolutely not appealing.

Thanks again for the guidance. If you think of anything else...I'm all ears.

***Sidebar: For those who are linked to face book, have you noticed the difference in quality of response? "Curl up and cry", while funny, offers no help whatsoever. tongue.gif

Edited by tcripp

***Sidebar: For those who are linked to face book, have you noticed the difference in quality of response? "Curl up and cry", while funny, offers no help whatsoever. tongue.gif

Glad we could help. I did notice the FB post. Different crowd over there. Pretty serious bunch here. I imagine none of them have ever worked a 48/96 schedule.

I like to post on those just to piss off the tossers/wackers! :whistle:

I work 48/96 in a busy station. I personally run an average of 20 calls per 48, where standup 24s (NO sleep at all in 24 hours)are common and standup 48s are not unheard of. It is exhausting and dangerous. I don't worry about stuff like books and entertainment items, because between running calls, station duties etc. my number one priority is getting sleep when I can. If I can get 5 hours uninterrupted per night it is a good shift.

I have my bedding in my car and use it at the station. I have stopped taking my computer because it is just running it back and forth for no good reason. (no time to get on it.) I sleep with my boots on in full uniform (belt unbuckled) so that I can get enroute (wheels moving) within a minute in the daytime and within 2 minutes at night.

As the shift wears on, I get into the rig on auto-pilot. I am in a daze. On scenes, adrenaline kicks in and I do my job. After transferring care, I get back into the rig and collapse. At the end of each call, I can't imagine taking another one - but we do.

Those 48 hour shifts are like a different universe. I forget in the middle of them that I have a life outside responding to tones.

I cannot imagine working a 48 hour shift, but then again, I work in a busy urban system. Did it a few times- not by choice. Emergency trades for someone, last minute changes of plans, etc. Between the 2 days, I averaged around 35-40 calls. Not a good idea, not optimal for patient care, and not safe. Thankfully I did not have to drive both days.

As for expecting 8 hours of sleep-cripes, I don't even get that at home, and certainly NEVER at work. LOL

I think it would be interesting to see what that would be like, but to all those who do 48's, how do you do this with a family? Sometimes it's nice to get away from home when things are getting crazy, but 48 hours must be hard on your spouse and kids if you have them.

Edited by HERBIE1

I think it would be interesting to see what that would be like, but to all those who do 48's, how do you do this with a family? Sometimes it's nice to get away from home when things are getting crazy, but 48 hours must be hard on your spouse and kids if you have them.

Family actually has you at home more on a 48/96 than if you do 24/48 when you factor hold over and commute time. Plus they enjoy being able to enjoy basically a 4 day weekend every time you are off. My family misses the travel we used to take when I worked the shifts mentioned in the earlier post. So in my opinion it allows more quality family time being on long shifts at a slow station.

Now as to CM's comment that service should not be doing 48's as it creates danger for you, the public, and the patients.

Family actually has you at home more on a 48/96 than if you do 24/48 when you factor hold over and commute time. Plus they enjoy being able to enjoy basically a 4 day weekend every time you are off. My family misses the travel we used to take when I worked the shifts mentioned in the earlier post. So in my opinion it allows more quality family time being on long shifts at a slow station.

Now as to CM's comment that service should not be doing 48's as it creates danger for you, the public, and the patients.

I understand about the total time off, but to be away 2 entire days in a row is tough.

I understand about the total time off, but to be away 2 entire days in a row is tough.

You have to focus on the positive rather than the negative. Plus many small services allow family to visit during daytime. I travel to far for that to happen so I call them often.