TRAUMA - Episode 11, March 8

So only people who agree are allowed to comment? Active conversation is healthy, guys. A forum where everyone just agrees with each other is no fun at all.

Let's be real. The director (and whoever else) took notice of low ratings, not quibbles on this forum. I do admit however that is likely someone from that camp probably reads this stuff. My argument is simply that IF it is possible we could have some sort of impact on the trajectory of the show from here, maybe we should focus more on large scale stuff rather than the nitpicky details. Whether or not the portrayed dopamine calculation rate was correct, etc, is thinking small.

• Like 1

Fiznat, as stated, we don't have to agree, and nobody is forcing anyone to read the string. There are some amongst us who are only happy when they have something to complain about (I'm sometimes there), and some who's nature is to be nastily complaining.

Wouldn't the world be a boring place if all the men looked like Brad Pitt, and the women like Eva Longoria? Or Willard Scott and the caricature that is Ugly Betty?

I'm already on record as paraphrasing "Dirty" Harry Callahan: "Opinions are like noses, everyone's got one."

So, I get my "jollies" by critiquing the good and bad following of EMS protocol, as well as what I view as good and bad plot devices. I know not everyone is going to agree with me, and will engage me in a discussion to sway my views. Sometimes they will change my mind, sometimes I'll change theirs. However, we're having fun doing so, and in some cases, everyone comes away with a better understanding of the organized chaos that is EMS.

Back to the critiquing the good and bad following of EMS protocol, I also allow for the fact that there's going to be differences between town, county/Parrish, state/province, and country protocols. I'm an EMT Basic in New York State, and there are some on EMT City who are in systems where someone of my level of training would be considered to be too low in training to even be on an ambulance. When I comment on something outside of the scope of practice, I point out that I am doing so, and comment on observation of those with the higher level(s) of training.

So, good, bad, or indifferent, I will be continuing to add my commentary on this site on the show, "Trauma", and possibly the new show based on the CSI shows, but from a medical perspective. More on that in another string.

With all that, I do hope you have an enjoyable day, Fiznat (and everyone else on the site!).

I have never seen this show, but I tend to not watch medical shows as I get annoyed by the mistakes rather than getting a break from reality which is why I watch TV. If I did watch I would not expect it to accurate of the everyday EMS work because that would be boring to watch. I do hate hearing that it depicts EMS to just be one big orgy. I am happy to hear they are not a mother may I system like Emergency was. I hope they decide to make the Paramedics super educated with extreme protocols so maybe it will inspire the slackers that currently make up much of EMS.

Let's be real. The director (and whoever else) took notice of low ratings, not quibbles on this forum.

Let's be real. You have FAILED to read the articles where the series' creator said he was listening to us. A little situational awareness FTW.

You're the one who came here telling us to shut up and deal with it, so don't play the victim. It's not becoming of you.

Edited by Dustdevil
  • Like 1

You have FAILED to read the articles where the series' creator said he was listening to us. A little situational awareness FTW.

Ohmygosh! So the creator of the show went on record saying that he is concerned about the opinions of the professionals his show depicts?? This turns my whole world upside down! Ratings and profits probably had absolutely nothing to do with the decision to cancel or revamp this show. I mean hey, it's right there in black and white!

Thanks for that little primer on "situational awareness," dude. Believe every single thing you read on the internet. Got it.

Speaking of reading things on the internet, try re-reading my post. I didn't tell you all to shut up and deal with it. I merely suggested that we, as an EMS community, might be better served by focusing on theme and purpose rather than detail and minutiae. Listing menial detail errors in this show is missing the forest for the trees. Sorry if that got your panties all bunched up, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

Ohmygosh! So the creator of the show went on record saying that he is concerned about the opinions of the professionals his show depicts?? This turns my whole world upside down! Ratings and profits probably had absolutely nothing to do with the decision to cancel or revamp this show. I mean hey, it's right there in black and white!

Thanks for that little primer on "situational awareness," dude. Believe every single thing you read on the internet. Got it.

So he's a liar? If he doesn't care about our opinions, why would he lie?

Speaking of reading things on the internet, try re-reading my post. I didn't tell you all to shut up and deal with it.

Oh no, you didn't imply that at all. :rolleyes:

I merely suggested that we, as an EMS community, might be better served by focusing on theme and purpose rather than detail and minutiae. Listing menial detail errors in this show is missing the forest for the trees.

I can't speak for everyone here, but personally I take offence to the suggestion that I cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. Perhaps you cannot, but I feel confident that most of the people I know here can. And someone has to focus on the details. Who is better qualified to do so than us?

And no, it wasn't me who gave you a negative point on your last post.

• Like 1

So he's a liar? If he doesn't care about our opinions, why would he lie?

Do I really have to explain this to you? I'm not saying he "doesn't care" about our opinions. I just have a hard time believing that they are his primary motivation. My original point was that the direction of the show has, and will continue to be directed by ratings and profit margins. I stand by that point. The show's creator may be a fantastic guy, who knows, but it is ridiculous for anyone to believe that a multi million dollar project like this lives and dies based on the opinions of such a small group of uninvolved people. In order for the show to survive, we EMTs and Paramedics need to make up a small percentage of the viewership. Not the whole thing. He's got bigger fish to fry. Of COURSE he will be quoted saying that he cares deeply about how we feel about his show, he would be stupid not to. ...But at the absolute least I think any of you nitpickers would agree that his actions have spoken louder than his words.

Oh no, you didn't imply that at all. :rolleyes:

There is a difference between an implication and the main point of what is being said. Don't get distracted so easily next time your ego gets bruised.

I can't speak for everyone here, but personally I take offence to the suggestion that I cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. Perhaps you cannot, but I feel confident that most of the people I know here can. And someone has to focus on the details. Who is better qualified to do so than us?

Are you chewing gum? I haven't seen you chew gum once, and frankly, even your gait is a bit unsteady.

And no, it wasn't me who gave you a negative point on your last post.

OK.

Edited by fiznat

I merely suggested that we, as an EMS community, might be better served by focusing on theme and purpose rather than detail and minutiae. Listing menial detail errors in this show is missing the forest for the trees.

I've only ever watched one episode of this show; the one where the vet steals the helicopter. Seems like there isn't much of a theme here, unless you call T and A a theme. So, unless your purpose is 'bowchickawowwow' ... That's just my opinion.

These are paramedics evaluating a show about 'supposed' paramedics. Of course they're going to be detailed in their critique of the show. Most of us will recall Dr. Carter from ER yelling "NASAL CANULA 12 LITERS A MINUTE, STAT!!!". Did you not make fun of that? I sure did. Did you want people to just watch this show just glazing over everything like they're watching clouds take shapes of kitties and puppies? Sure, if everyone was to be as unintelligent and unentertaining as this show ...

Specifically what is this forest you want us to see?

• Like 3

It's like a mild, text, version of Judge Judy.

Interesting that you should bring that up. I was talking with a lawyer yesterday, who happened to be one of 2 brother lawyers who created a 13 episode show on the trial system. He agreed with me that, for us the medical shows, and for him the LEO/Procedural/Trial shows (the Law and Order group, the CSI group, and the Judge Judy/People's court/Divorce Court and the rest of the 1/2 hour trial shows), everyone would be so bored with how slow and talky it really is. Even his own show left a bunch out, while putting a bunch of filler material in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.