AED: For Trained Responders Only---nooooo

donedeal

Anyone who thinks all AEDs are idiot proof, and "no training necessary", obviously have not used all of them. They are very definitely not all idiot proof. What kind is being used at this location?

That said, I agree with others that this seems to be a misinterpretation of the warning label. Before you go accusing people of posting idiotic policies, you should simply and innocently ask for clarification of that policy.

Anyone who thinks all AEDs are idiot proof, and "no training necessary", obviously have not used all of them. They are very definitely not all idiot proof. What kind is being used at this location?

That said, I agree with others that this seems to be a misinterpretation of the warning label. Before you go accusing people of posting idiotic policies, you should simply and innocently ask for clarification of that policy.

I'm sure I've not used all, in fact I have no idea how many different ones I've been exposed to, but each of those had spoken instructions with pictures on the pads. But people being people is why I stated 'almost' in my post.. :-)

I thought the point of placing AEDs in public spaces, making them simple enough so that a child can easily figure them out is so that the lay public would be able to participate in early interventions of cardiac arrest..? Maybe I'm off in the ditch here though..

And hell, if I thought each policy through before determining that it was idiotic I would have missed out on a whole lifetime of job hunting experiences...just sayin'...

Dwayne

as others have said it;s workplace liability issue

in the UK we have legislation called the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (commonly referred to a PUWER)

in these regulations is a requirement for employees to have received training before using equipment in the course of their work

' for trained responders only' on an AED or other work place first aid equipment is to cover the organisation against liability if it's used by untrained employees - as others have suggested the building and the organisations within in will have nominated first aiders - who it is only sensible to assume will be trained AED operators given the building has AEDs dotted around ...

as for those saying aobut A|EDs being designed for untrained users - not all are, machines of the LP500 or FR2 class certainly aren,t where stuff like the G3 is ...

Edited by zippyRN

I thought the point of placing AEDs in public spaces, making them simple enough so that a child can easily figure them out is so that the lay public would be able to participate in early interventions of cardiac arrest..? Maybe I'm off in the ditch here though..

Agreed. It has just taken a very long time for some of the manufacturers to catch on to that concept. You gotta figure that the tech-heads that design these things are about as clueless as all the software eggheads who design software, with unreadable help manuals, that it takes an IT engineer to figure out. Lifepak was the absolute worst of them all for a very long time, preferring to focus on the first responder market. Yet they still had the top-selling public access AEDs, simply because all the ignorant firemonkeys advised the public to buy the same brand they bought. It took Philips taking a big bite out of their market share for Physio to finally wake up.

I was a little surprised to see several AEDs in Japan (where they are everywhere) that I had never even seen before, and had never heard of the manufacturers. But luckily, it seems that Philips does good business there too. I'd sure like to have heard the Japanese voice prompts just for fun!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.