It ain't just Trauma anymore...

Still wondering what they were thinking, but was watching an episode and they had one of the cops climb in completely unprotected into a smashed up car and the EMT who is in the window right next to her and tosses her the IV bag and says here I'll walk you through it. Then uses a police helicopter to fly the woman magically to the hospital who is in active labor - wow I guess it's rubbing off on NBC. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

If you recorded that episode of SVU, play it back, and review for the following:.

Olivia, after declining medical attention for herself, climbed BACK into her wrecked car to attempt stabilization of Elliot's pregnant wife during extrication/disentanglement, and yes, she was guided by the paramedics in starting an IV. Mrs. Stabler delivered her baby, with the paramedics assisted by Olivia in the ambulance, and then went into cardiac arrest, to be defibbed while the ambulance was still enroute to the ER. She would be revived in the hospital, off screen.

As for the helicopter, it had been sent to bring Elliot back from making an arrest of a murder suspect somewhere in Suffolk County.

Elliot's wife was never in a helicopter in that episode, and as such, never met Rabbit, from the medical error filled "Trauma". Olivia, Elliot, Fin, and Munch must have had some medical training, as they almost always seem to be the ones drawing blood for DNA samples.

Let's keep the two shows separate.

Edited by Richard B the EMT
  • Like 1

Almost every county in the state of Michigan has a Paramedic Division of the County Sheriff's Department. They're automatically toned out on 'Tier I' calls (cardiac, respiratory, CVA, etc)

http://www.co.genesee.mi.us/sheriff/paramedic_division.htm

• Like 1

This is not a new trend for emergency services. Many county services both down south and out west use a three tiered system with Police that work as Medics and in some cases as firefighters. They are sworn officers that have also completed fire and EMS training and are required to change hats on a call to call basis. This is primarily done when the counties run Police Fire EMS. I think it is a great idea to be able to change hats at a drop of a dime because it keeps the job interesting and utilizes its employees the best possible way for each situation.

Many Virginia State Troopers are also paramedics and dual role as well as many SWAT team country wide.

In my home town the entire town highway department crew are trained as firefighters and are automatically dispatched to extrications and structure fires so help with staffing issues.

They are covered under the same town insurance, lowers the ISO for the town residents, and really reduces response times.

I think if more towns got on board with cross training it would help the budgets, prevent layoffs and better our comunities.

.....Just my two cents

Edited by Medic One
  • Like 2

I think if more towns got on board with cross training it would help the budgets, prevent layoffs and better our comunities.

Oh sure.. cause it only takes about 120 hours to provide emergency medical care and we all know getting cross trained fire/police dudes there in 5 minutes is much better than getting ACLS there in 8. I mean, all those guys do is start IVs right? And as police and fire stuff requires ongoing education, training and practice, its a good thing that EMS crap is so easy.

• Like 2

I'm not against cross training - there are areas where it works to their advantage. There are a few areas in ohio that I'm aware of that the cops also function as paramedics. Many of the troopers here are also cross trained with all being trained to a minimum of a first responder (certified) as well as all of fire being basic so they can perform their own rehab and an ambulance is no longer needed to stand by. Many have their own "fire buggy" which responds solely to the fire scenes for treatment. However - here's where the lines get blurred - when you are on a scene and both duties are required which one takes priority? If you are both a trooper and paramedic you don't treat the patient or have to leave the patient- that's abandonment, you don't keep the scene safe and you potentially get yourself killed. Needs to be a clear line as to when you are what. I'm not advocating against it, but I am playing devil's advocate.

As to the SVU episode - I was referencing the fact it was overly dramatic. Most of the time, I'm actually quite the fan of the show as it's well written. Yes I understand real SVU cops probably hate it and sit and perform much of the same griping we did with "trauma", but it is well written and probably much of the reason it's lasted so long. I really just didn't see the justification for having her perform the skills when truthfully they could have. It might not have made such an interesting story line, but all well.

Richard - I do stand corrected on the flight part - thank you. I was halfway listening while doing something else and heard the helicopter discussion and then looked up to see them delivering her baby and was like WTF ? Ironically though, I've not seen them drawing blood - every time I've seen the episode they have them at a clinic or the hospital getting it done. Perhaps I've just missed those episodes?

Fair enough - just thought it rather absurd at the moment and fired something off. I'll return to putting my foot in my mouth and shut up now.

• Like 1

In many areas of New York state... Nassau County PD, Rotterdam Township PD, Albany County Sheriff, and Guilderland Township PD to name a few... the police or sheriff's department filled a need for ALS by cross training police officers that either worked on an ambulance or responded in a fly/chase car. All of these agencies have since staffed these divisions with civilian personnel who work for the police agencies, but some cross trained medics/LEOs still work for these agencies.

There are a number of combined public safety departments I know of in the mid-west, where all personnel are cross trained LEOs, medics, and FFs. I have heard stories of a reckless driver cutting off the fire truck only to find himself pulled over and a ticket written.

As for the SVU episode... well that's just television.

EMSDoc B)

• Like 1

We should get every TV show that has EMT's, Medics, or even ambulances shown, taken off the air. rolleyes.gif

Does that include reruns of "Johnny and Roy" on "Emergency!"?

I am one of untold thousands who got the idea to become EMTs, Paramedics, or Fire Fighters (separately or cross trained) by watching that show.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.