Dying Officer Thanked Paramedics

Siffaliss

Yet again a thread on this forum turns away from what the real meaning is, into the quest of two people this time to feel sublime and righteous. You both still have no idea, the ACTUAL topic is not about either of you. And if one is to look at someone demeaning their peers, they should take a look at themselves.

Have a great day.

Sorry Jaime, I was having a discussion with Lisa regarding the antics of some on here. Your input is welcome though, so long as you keep it civil. If you had wanted the thread to form some sort of position, you might want to consider posting more than a simple link to a news story rather than respond with attitude to a response which empathises with the officer. To me, Lisa's comment was in complete association to the news story you posted as she expressed her understanding, if even in a small way, of how that officer felt.

So, why did you post the article without a comment to give direction to the thread?

To bring attention to the fact someone appreciated the efforts of the paramedics?

To bring attention to the fact that these medics acted selflessly?

To bring attention to the fact that it was a dangerous act and they risked themselves?

There are any number of ways this thread could have gone after you started it.

If you don't want people making particular comments in a thread you started, then put some effort in rather than a simple cut and paste and make an actual comment.

• Like 3

This was an extreme situation that doesn't happen every day. DUH, I think we all know these medics SHOULDN'T have done what they did. Great thing to point out there rock ... I only hope I have the same courage to do what they all did, should I ever be faced with that situation because I know I couldn't live with myself if I ran away.

Why the hostility? Remember this site has an incredible range in membership. Forum members can range anywhere from having zero EMS or medical education right to the point of being an Emergency Physician. For the sake of the inexperienced, it's valuable and important to point out that doing the right thing doesn't always mean doing what the book says you should.

We are in total agreement that the actions taken by paramedics on scene should stand out as exemplary given the situation.

I don't think you needed to explain yourself. You can relate it if you were grateful then fantastic - I'm sure it was appreciated by them ! Every medic and EMT likes to feel appreciated. We rarely see a thank you and when you get one it makes you step just a little brighter. - why is it we only care what people think when they're dead. Brings back a good thought that someone told me once - everybody loves you when you're dead - so true. At any rate, it seems the guy in this instance was very troubled courtesy of brain condition or not. I won't pass judgement though as I don't know the surrounding facts. It's a sad situation for all parties involved. Have to say though, during my time in Canada, I was very impressed by the attitude of the Ottawa officers (they were so kind directing a poor VERY lost american in the proper directions lol) as well as the RCMP who were invaluable at a few events we were participating in. Don't let an entire dept be judged by a single individual. I just hope now, he receives the help he needed.

Well said.

Sorry Jaime, I was having a discussion with Lisa regarding the antics of some on here. Your input is welcome though, so long as you keep it civil. If you had wanted the thread to form some sort of position, you might want to consider posting more than a simple link to a news story rather than respond with attitude to a response which empathises with the officer. To me, Lisa's comment was in complete association to the news story you posted as she expressed her understanding, if even in a small way, of how that officer felt.

So, why did you post the article without a comment to give direction to the thread?

To bring attention to the fact someone appreciated the efforts of the paramedics?

To bring attention to the fact that these medics acted selflessly?

To bring attention to the fact that it was a dangerous act and they risked themselves?

There are any number of ways this thread could have gone after you started it.

If you don't want people making particular comments in a thread you started, then put some effort in rather than a simple cut and paste and make an actual comment.

Not sure who Jaime is, but ok. The context of this post I assume is directed towards the original poster, which was me.

Thanks for the input, I'll form my posts more to your liking next time. I am after all giving your opinions ...

I originally made the post to share the information I had read; a simple story of a horribly sad incident. I was rather speechless (rarely happens), and the story almost brought tears to my eyes. Does that explain my "lack of effort" as you put it? A brother of ours had the strength in his DYING moments to say thank you to 4 of his own. Unfortunately some people didn't read the story in its entirety, and the posting just went off in a completely different direction. You I'm sure have started/been a part of similar threads that meander.

Please take your own advice and keep things civil when in a main forum. If you want to blab at me in private message go right ahead, I really don't care. I don't want to read through useless bickering in a forum, and I'm sure others don't either. As for posting somewhere here, I will do so where I please as this is an open site and don't need an invitation to do so. Neither do you.

I'm going to consider this matter :closed:

• Like 3

Yet again a thread on this forum turns away from what the real meaning is, into the quest of two people this time to feel sublime and righteous. You both still have no idea, the ACTUAL topic is not about either of you. And if one is to look at someone demeaning their peers, they should take a look at themselves.

Have a great day.

Speaking of misinformation and confusion. You feel free to continue to PERSONAL ATTACK REMOVED -ADMIN, and continue to use the term "us", though doesn't it say student under your name? What part of "us" don't you understand? You agree that 'we' crawl into cars and do all sorts of other bullshit heroic stuff...when did you do those things exactly?

Before you send hateful, ignorant, vulgar emails to our new members perhaps you need to take a reality check babe.

Lisa, I recommend you forward those emails to Admin....He won't be pleased with the language, nor the threatening tone. As well, any more shit she sends secondary to this post, forward them as well...

PERSONAL ATTACK REMOVED -ADMIN At least have the ovaries to do it in public with those of us that have been here a few weeks...

Dwayne

Edited by EMT City Administrator
[color="#FF0000"]PERSONAL ATTACK REMOVED -ADMIN[/color]
  • Like 1

Holy crap, Batman! What happened to this thread?!

First of all, I see no issue with Lisa O's comment. It does indeed seem like an attempt to empathize, and nothing more.

Secondly, Siffalis, you really seem to be screwing the pooch on this one. You're implying all sorts of things that aren't present, and your tone is just atrociously antagonistic. Arctikat is right: If you wanted the thread to go a certain way, you should have given it some guidance and set-up first! You even seem to take issue with people discussing the actual content of the article... not sure what's up with that. Short on sleep lately?

Thirdly: You said it yourself. This is an open forum. Nobody needs your permission to post what they like in this thread, whether it's the direction you wanted it to go or not...

How'zabout everyone takes a step back for a little bit? Let's cool things off a touch and figure out what the real issue is here once the red fog clears...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 1

Wow – I read this thread, which appears to have become a stone-throwing contest, with much dismay.

Siff posted a news thread as information, not as an opinion – I didn’t know an opinion was required to post an informational item…

When people post, sarcasm, and true meaning are sometimes lost in the words. A post in this thread by someone fairly new to this site was misinterpreted by me. I am well known, even to myself, to be very pessimistic, and when I read that post, I did not interpret it as a “we should all thank our EMS workers” post. A post following that had sarcasm in it that was, I think, missed by many. I am positive I did not interpret things in exactly the same manner as others did; I suspect others did not either; however, throwing stones is not the answer. Misinterpretation happens…. Both have tried to explain the intent of their posts, and both have taken their share of abuse in this thread.

Rather than throwing stones at who was more rude, who said what, who didn’t say what, who didn’t post right, who has how much experience or not, who sent who a nasty pm (isn’t that the point of pm, so that things stay between the 2 individuals, and out of the threads???)… how about we look at the original intent of this thread – the sadness of the situation, and the things people will or will not do in an extreme situation like that. How about we all say a small prayer to the diety of our choice for the family of the deceased, and to those who have been affected by it. How about intead of questioning the intent of posters on this thread to insult others, or try to put others in their place, we focus on the original news article, and reflect on how we may have handled it, and be glad that we haven’t been put in that situation.

• Like 2