Dying Officer Thanked Paramedics

Siffaliss

What is a RCMP officer? Was that someone he was working with? How sad, just sad.

Last February I had a tonsilectomy that put me in the ER about a week later with massive hemorrhaging. The blood was puring out my nose, and my mouth, but I still did the best I could to thank the medics who rushed me to the ER...

• Like 1

What is a RCMP officer? Was that someone he was working with? How sad, just sad.

Last February I had a tonsilectomy that put me in the ER about a week later with massive hemorrhaging. The blood was puring out my nose, and my mouth, but I still did the best I could to thank the medics who rushed me to the ER...

Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Strictly speaking, in terms of OH & S, those four medics should not have engaged officer Czapnik's attacker. That said, kudos to them. We work with LEOs on a near daily basis and watching each other’s backs is of critical importance. Whether it is at a vehicle crash site or an overdose in some drug den, we have to watch out for each other (no I'm not suggesting anyone go run into a firefight the next time your local PD is in a shoot-out). Smart or not, I know I couldn't just tuck tail and run if I witnessed one of our local LEOs attacked in such a manner.

Strictly speaking, in terms of OH & S, those four medics should not have engaged officer Czapnik's attacker. That said, kudos to them. We work with LEOs on a near daily basis and watching each other's backs is of critical importance. Whether it is at a vehicle crash site or an overdose in some drug den, we have to watch out for each other (no I'm not suggesting anyone go run into a firefight the next time your local PD is in a shoot-out). Smart or not, I know I couldn't just tuck tail and run if I witnessed one of our local LEOs attacked in such a manner.

Agreed. LEO's here know that if god forbid they go down in a shoot out, we are the ones that respond to them. They take care of us, and vice versa. I agree, running into a shootout with no weapons or training is NOT a good idea, but I think most of us have been known to take a calculated risk or 2 when we know someone needs help, and thought afterwards- "Gee, maybe that wasn't the brightest idea." Think about some of the situations we find ourselves in- an MVA on a deserted highway where the scene may not be secured. Crawling into a mangled vehicle, hole, etc- we do what needs to be done.

Kevin Gregson, 43, an RCMP officer on suspension from the force since 2006, is charged with first-degree murder.

So this in a way brings disrespect to the RCMP, this was suspended officer for 3 years in fact and had major issues is my bet. Highly likely that the reason for his suspension will never be made public as typically in these tragic events the truth does not come out for many years to protect the accused only.

I certianly would like to know if the murdered Officer had a vest on ?

Kudos for the medics taking the risk they did for a brother and zactly screw the BS rules in this instance. I could not live with myself either if I ran away, there rock_shoes, its just NOT the Canadian way.

btw my little sister was an RCMP for 16 years.

Condolences to the ALL the families involved, the background of the murdered officer was that he was a Polish Immigrant with a huge heart and highly motivated to be a great Peace Officer .. but this leaves 4 children without a father very saddly.

cheers

The reasons for his suspension have been fairly well reported. I don't like the tiny keyboardnon my phone too much so I'll be brief:

- threatening a bishop with a knife

- implying in said threat that as a cop he would get away with it

- stating in said threat he had many ways to kill him

- charged with multiple counts and acquitted on grounds of an ongoing neurological issue that required brain surgery may have caused his actions

- dismissed from RCMP

- placed on unpaid suspension from RCMP while he appealed his dismissal

- reportedly in Ottawa to deliver documents directly to the home the RCMP commissioner

Full details should be available on CBC.ca who have been providing full coverage.

This was a little more than tonsilectomy ...

I certianly would like to know if the murdered Officer had a vest on ?

What kind of cop WOULDN'T have a vest on? Unfortunately they don't make them for tracheas ...

Strictly speaking, in terms of OH & S, those four medics should not have engaged officer Czapnik's attacker. That said, kudos to them. We work with LEOs on a near daily basis and watching each other’s backs is of critical importance. Whether it is at a vehicle crash site or an overdose in some drug den, we have to watch out for each other (no I'm not suggesting anyone go run into a firefight the next time your local PD is in a shoot-out). Smart or not, I know I couldn't just tuck tail and run if I witnessed one of our local LEOs attacked in such a manner.

This was an extreme situation that doesn't happen every day. DUH, I think we all know these medics SHOULDN'T have done what they did. Great thing to point out there rock ... I only hope I have the same courage to do what they all did, should I ever be faced with that situation because I know I couldn't live with myself if I ran away.

but I think most of us have been known to take a calculated risk or 2 when we know someone needs help, and thought afterwards- "Gee, maybe that wasn't the brightest idea." Think about some of the situations we find ourselves in- an MVA on a deserted highway where the scene may not be secured. Crawling into a mangled vehicle, hole, etc- we do what needs to be done.

Yup.

Edited by Siffaliss
  • Like 4

Didn't it say he was stabbed in the neck/throat ... What would a vest have to do with this? Am I missing something?

Did I miss something ? My Bad ?

D. Wilton of the Proffessional Association of Ottawa Paramedic (not a union) is asking for improved protection for its membership.

cheers