Getting your foot in the door

bobswife

Just want to get your opinion on the best ways to get your foot in the door. I just completed the TN EMT-IV program and passed my NREMT a couple of weeks ago. I am coming into the world of EMS a little later in life (age 43)and want to get on to Paramedic school as soon as I can get some good practical experience under my belt. I already have a bachelor's degree in Marketing- contemplated a bridge program for nursing but fell in love with EMS. Husband is active duty Air Force, so I don't require benefits. What is the best way to go about networking? Volunteer with the Rescue Squad? Ideas are greatly appreciated.

Leanne

Edited by bobswife
  • Like 1

Just want to get your opinion on the best ways to get your foot in the door. I just completed the TN EMT-IV program and passed my NREMT a couple of weeks ago. I am coming into the world of EMS a little later in life (age 43)and want to get on to Paramedic school as soon as I can get some good practical experience under my belt. I already have a bachelor's degree in Marketing- contemplated a bridge program for nursing but fell in love with EMS. Husband is active duty Air Force, so I don't require benefits. What is the best way to go about networking? Volunteer with the Rescue Squad? Ideas are greatly appreciated.

Leanne

I feel you girl, I started in my mid-thirties. I volunteered with the fire dept. and did ride alongs with everyone in sight. I fell in love too--9 years later and I'm still loving it most of the time. Occasionaly I threaten to go be the wal-mart greeter at three in the morning but this is it for me. Good luck and stay clear of politics. The young ones don't care who they throw under the bus on their way to glory--lol.

• Like 1

First and foremost go straight to your education. There is no reason to delay starting the Paramedic Degree.

Second go out and personally visit EMS stations even if they are not advertising job openings. Also if you see an ambulance crew out in town on break stop and visit quickly maybe buy them a drink, you would be surprised how some of the guys on the ambulance carry weight in deciding who gets hired. Never rely on mail or phones looking for jobs. No reason to spend time in the volly ranks. In fact some places will not hire if you were a volly.

• Like 1

First and foremost go straight to your education. There is no reason to delay starting the Paramedic Degree.

Second go out and personally visit EMS stations even if they are not advertising job openings. Also if you see an ambulance crew out in town on break stop and visit quickly maybe buy them a drink, you would be surprised how some of the guys on the ambulance carry weight in deciding who gets hired. Never rely on mail or phones looking for jobs. No reason to spend time in the volly ranks. In fact some places will not hire if you were a volly.

Agree with Spenac......Start on the education, but if feasible, try to get whatever experience along with the schooling, whether volunteer or part-time. School and full-time may be difficult, but if you get hired at the right place, they may make schedule provisions to do both.

• Like 1

Leanne

Volunteer if your town has one, as for getting experience for Medic school, get a job as an ER tech in a busy trauma 1 hospital. That's what I did while I was in paramedic school, learned a lot working with excellent doctors&nurses. Best Of Luck

• Like 1

I love being a volunteer, but the politics involved are just so goddamn frustrating. I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth it anymore. See if you can observe in an emergency room.

Good luck and stay clear of politics.

In other words, forget volly gigs.

Education is paramount, far above all other concerns. A degree is what will get your "foot in the door".

Think about it: You got two people with no experience wanting their foot in your door. One has a three week EMT card, and the other has a two year paramedic education. Which one are you going to let in? It's a no-brainer.

• Like 2

Dust makes some really good points and it's true. Networking and actually going to visit the stations, just hanging out and talking to the people and having a chat sometimes helps you find out what they're looking for and how to move forward with getting hired by them. Also, see if there is the opportunity to ride along with them specifically. As to other volunteer things, alot of paid departments don't take kindly to volunteers as most don't train enough to keep up their skills and also only show up to the "good" calls. They don't want to drag out at 3 am. Also, it may seriously hurt you in terms of pay. They see that if you did it for free - why should they pay you as much when you will work for less? Just something to sit back and consider.

By all means good luck - but go on and get your medic.

• Like 2

Think about it: You got two people with no experience wanting their foot in your door. One has a three week EMT card, and the other has a two year paramedic education. Which one are you going to let in? It's a no-brainer.

• Like 1

I do have a degree (business), TN EMT-IV and my EMT-B was not a three week card.

I believe the "3 week card" reference was as to possession of said card, not the time it took to acquire it.

Anyway, welcome to the city, and good luck with either, or both, continuing your EMS education, and the job hunt.

Richard B, the EMT,

Member, FDNY EMS Command.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.