Getting your foot in the door

bobswife

While I do not know if it is still in effect, for a while after the 9-11 Attacks, FDNY EMS Command policy was, anyone asking questions like that were to be considered suspect, and the NYPD to be requested to intervene.

This was, in part, due to the episode in New Jersey, where a duo of men with "Middle Eastern" appearance and accents tried buying a used ambulance in cash, days after the attack. Suspicion and alarms, after the 2 men suddenly decided not to make the purchase and practically ran away from the used vehicle lot, went out nationwide.

A small film company, using a former ambulance as their main vehicle to film a cross country travel documentary for PBS nearly had their personnel locked up by suspicious LEOs, who initially thought they might have been connected to the 2 from New Jersey.

Again, I say that I don't know if the "act with suspicion" thing is still in effect (except in the NYC transit system, where posters, and even the fare card vending machines, still advise "If you see something suspicious, tell Transit employees, or the Cops".

I just don't know about this approach. It seems kind of strange, even stalker-ish maybe. I would just feel very odd approaching someone on a break offering to buy them a coffee or something. Am I the only one who feels that way? How would most people react if a stranger came up out of the blue and approached them on a break and offered to buy them coffee? Would you be suspicious or think they are up to something?

Good question. It's going to be location specific, to a large degree. Most places in the South, you'll be greeted with smiles and open arms. Same out West. Anyone who doesn't isn't worth talking to anyhow, so you've lost nothing. Up north is a whole different thing. Yankees are suspicious of anyone who approaches them, and have been that way since long before 9/11. But fuck 'em if they can't take a joke. It never hurts to ask. Although it is extremely rare, there are occasionally some nice people to be found above the Mason-Dixon. If they give you any shit, then I say go ahead and prove their suspicions right by kicking their arse.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.