New Years Eve

HERBIE1

So, it's the stroke of midnight on New Year Eve. I'm sure we all have good drunk stories to relate, but I'm referring to work.

Where's the oddest place you found yourself at 000hrs?

Me-

Spent one year huddled with about 6 others in the tiny bathroom of a high rise housing project. (Safest place) Thankfully it was the usual nonemergent call there so we could easily delay transport. The shooting was so bad it was around 030 before the gunshots finally subsided enough to safely exit the apartment.

Your turn...

• Like 1

Waist deep in a lake with Police trying to coach a drunk back to shore then being thrown up on by another drunk on the foreshore, she proceeded to be very apologetics and gave me a hug which mooshed it into my uniform more! :huh:

Tonight I will be at a major RAVE party in Melbourne... Oh the joys lol.

• Like 1

I rang in the new millennium sitting atop a 1987 FMC, manning the absolute most powerful deluge gun I've yet to see. Two 5" lines and two 3" lines, all at full pressure. Any movement I made, at an attempt to quell the inferno caused by thousands of bails twenty-five year old hay in a barn, made the massive truck lean just slightly. Fireworks and Barns aren't a smart combination. I've spent two at wrecks, and in 2004, about twenty seconds after the ball dropped, we were dispatched for a cardiac arrest. Nothing too exciting.

• Like 1

Strangest place I ever spent it was Ramadi, Iraq. But the strange thing is that there was a lot less gunfire there than the countless New Years Eves I spent in South Dallas.

• Like 1

Well, par for the course for me growing up was hiding in an upstairs hallway away from windows with my family and waiting for the ghetto rats to quit filling the sky with lead. Strange? Matter of perspective, really...

I think the best place I've spent it is Skate the Lake at Evergreen Lake with my venturing crew, doing medical support. Love it! Gotta work for pay this year though... day job got to me first, so I won't be joining my buddies out there. Had some good trauma in the past few years... kept Evergreen FD running transports like mad one year...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 1

Waist deep in a lake with Police trying to coach a drunk back to shore then being thrown up on by another drunk on the foreshore, she proceeded to be very apologetics and gave me a hug which mooshed it into my uniform more! :huh:

Tonight I will be at a major RAVE party in Melbourne... Oh the joys lol.

Will you be attending that rave, or working it?

Raves seem to be losing popularity around here. Some years back they were pretty common- someone would rent out an abandoned building (always in a lousy area) and they'd throw these huge bashes. Surprisingly we never had any calls at these places, despite all the recreational drugs these parties are known for.

Well, par for the course for me growing up was hiding in an upstairs hallway away from windows with my family and waiting for the ghetto rats to quit filling the sky with lead. Strange? Matter of perspective, really...

I think the best place I've spent it is Skate the Lake at Evergreen Lake with my venturing crew, doing medical support. Love it! Gotta work for pay this year though... day job got to me first, so I won't be joining my buddies out there. Had some good trauma in the past few years... kept Evergreen FD running transports like mad one year...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Thankfully the only gunshots around my house are the occasional active and retired cops firing their service revolvers in the air at midnight. No biggie.

A few die hards set off fireworks for about 15 minutes too.

We stick to having the kids bang some pots and pans and pop some of those champagne bottle streamer things. LOL

Strangest place yet? A barn trying to extricate a horse who had managed to hang itself in it's stall and then got stuck against the wall. Part of my job with being with the fire dept was helping with the large animal rescue team at local animal hospital, so I got to spend new years. But we were rewarded - baby was born safely less than twenty minutes after we got mom unstuck ! Now that my friends is better than dealing with a drunk anyday !

Strangest place I've spent New Years would have to be the roof of a burnt out apartment building in an Najef, Iraq. Watching distant mortar fire and trucks burning, it was our own little fireworks show. Second strangest would have to be wandering the woods of Porcupine Mountains State Park searching for a couple idiot winter campers lost in a blizzard.

1975/1976: Holmes Ambulance Service. On the road, returning to Brooklyn, NY, from an IFT to the Montrose, NY VA Hospital, and hearing the Ball Drop in Times Square on a portable radio. We were in the middle of nowhere, so we joined the celebration by blasting the siren at the falling snow.

1999/2000:FDNY EMS Command, Station 47 (Rockaway). Millennium change, in the supervisor's office, holding our glasses of non alcoholic "champagne" in one hand, and flashlights in the other, as we expected the lights to go out due to the "Y2K" computer glitches.

2008/2009: Lady J's house. "Should old acquaintance be forgot,... oh where is my coat, I gotta open the office at 6 AM, so I have to leave!" Lady J had been told I would have to do so.

1999/2000:FDNY EMS Command, Station 47 (Rockaway). Millennium change, in the supervisor's office, holding our glasses of non alcoholic "champagne" in one hand, and flashlights in the other, as we expected the lights to go out due to the "Y2K" computer glitches.

Good ol' Y2k. Some of my family has kept the holiday scare tradition going. Each year it is something about how everything will go downhill and we will be left with nothing but what is on our backs, at least that is the outcome of each of their predictions. Gotta love those folks...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.