FireFighters

TK

Speaking of lack of brains, every time the word fire is uttered, it's "firemonkey, stupid, incompetent, etc. etc.". It's like a Pavlovian response. Such responses strongly suggest a high degree of jealousy. Or did a FF steal your girl, beat you up or something? Your fire bashing is transparent and nauseating.

Also, to make the comment that fire suppression requires no intelligence I would assume that you have significant experience in the fire service? Or are you just making blanket ASSumptions as usual? There's a little more to it than aiming an oversized garden hose.

Ummm I don't see me referencing firemonkey, incompetent etc. However, this is called EMT City, not Fire City. I'm not against fire - I was originally a firemedic. I also support our firefighters that are going through some issues right now. Both serve their purposes. However, I do NOT agree with fire based EMS. I certainly think resources and grants that are poured into fire (based on medical runs to pad call volume) are much better directed to be used for EMS funds only. Not to buy a prettier shade of red fire truck when the current one works fine and there are EMS departments that are lucky to have a running truck ! But I won't start that arguement as its been debated to death on this forum. Just understand it wasn't the right audience, we're commenting on that, not fire in general (or at least I can speak that way for myself).

• Like 2

I'm good with work boots, cotton jeans and a long sleeve shirt myself

While using "structural" fire turnout / bunker gear at a large area brush or forest fire is not a good idea, as stated in other postings to this string, I was under the impression that there is lighter weight fire resistant garb available, like jumpsuits, pants and shirts, and what appears, in the advertisements at least, to be construction worker style hard hats. I think such would be required, minimally, at any fire fighting situation, either structural or forest fire, as opposed to simple jeans and a long sleeve shirt. I do yield the point that they would be more comfortable.

Please remember that, while I work in a fire based service, I am strictly an EMS provider. This commentary is based on reading books and catalogs, and what I have eyeballed through the years.

Indian Tank. I prefer galvanized, but the rubbery vinyl ones are okay. Not in turnout gear though, there are different types of gear.. Extrication, wild land, structural, ARFF, etc. I've seen what happens when people wear structural fire gear, to a large brush fire. I'm good with work boots, cotton jeans and a long sleeve shirt myself, and really, I'd rather take a Pulaski or a rake. It's more common to see urban and suburban firefighters wearing Structural gear to rubbish or small brush fires. It's a sure ticket to heat exhaustion.. and tall boots on rugged terrain is a sure ticket for an ankle fx.

I prefer the newer plastic tanks ie Nalgene I just looked I think wajax made mine but it is worn off, the older brass pumps are field "fixable" I do not like the new ones made out of composites.

4c6 the tin ones are sooo freaking old and way heavy, hard to fill in a crick and the straps cut in huge, galvanized are from when Smokey the bear was still sucking on mommas teat in the den ...

Wildland Firefighting clothing no bunker gear even with interface fires even "sprinkle or foam protection crews just wear coveralls, in Alberta it is manatory that "fire resistant" is used as we do a lot of Chopper Time. ASRDthe standard issue is "Proban Coveralls in Yellow " they suck but are better visibility from the air unfortunatly do get blacked out really fast.

In BC issue it 2 piece Nomex pants and coined "the red shirt's" there quality of Nomex is by far better. As a medic attached to WFF teams by regulation must be "easily identifiable" so I wear a "Old Blue Nomex flight suit" with a Hi Vis Trauma vest.

http://www.scottyfire.com/ link to new gack.

Happiness

Let it be know that I personally luv firemen, my favorite one is the one I own.

LMFAO ... so who pulls his hose ?

46Young

Speaking of lack of brains, every time the word fire is uttered, it's "firemonkey, stupid, incompetent, etc. etc.". It's like a Pavlovian response. Such responses strongly suggest a high degree of jealousy. Or did a FF steal your girl, beat you up or something? Your fire bashing is transparent and nauseating.

So Phil gets to you ... you should hear the nasty things he calls ME <insert sniff, whining>

Inter agency cooperation is mandatory if you sir can not understand and that a sense of professional humour exists gentle ribbing can actually be a moral booster, btw you missed "bucket fairy" a favorite of mine. :blink:

Sometimes these are just terms of endearment: YOU NEED to wear thicker Bunker Gear like really, hell, I have been called bandaid counter, ditch doctor, Para-site, mattress holder, oh oh my favorite hey get the LAB as in Labrador dog or = Lazy Ass Bandaid.

Ever hear Sticks and Stones may hurt my bones but words never will hurt me ... :ph34r:

This Forum is called EMT CITY and even though we do tolerate fire based services perhaps look to your IAFF for stirring the pot first, you do know that North America is about the only place in the world that uses a FF/Medic model ... try thinking out of the box present facts and studies evidence based medicine (because many of the US FF/MEDIC services get a big fat fail, and then again some are stellar)there are many models that deliver Pre Hospital Care Medicine and far more efficiently <insert gasp>

cheers

Edited by tniuqs
  • Like 2

Not restricted to Fire Fighters!

Well noted Richard - especially the armor all comment - I have ended up in the wheel well more than once courtesy of an over-enthusiastic preceptee that decided it made the seats sparkle :thumbsdown: . *sigh* all well - at least as I slid across the bench seat it got nicely polished by my butt !

You know you're a firefighter if...

You can't realize that EMS is a completely separate field from fire supression and post fire-only items on an EMS website and actually think you'll get a positive response.

Edited by EMTinNEPA
  • Like 1

Yes this is EMT CITY as one has pointed out but however we do not exclude anyone in EMS or even those not in EMS from this site. It is a good place to learn and exchange ideals, If we do not support or welcome the ones that are not exclusively EMT's we are doing a injustice to the profession as a whole, and then we loose. I have recently joined a board that I am not even in that feild but they opened their arms to me and made me feel at home. Maybe we should do the same here and not judge them just because they choose not be EMT's. The world is made up of all kinds of people each with their own nich and for us not to welcome them into the EMT CITY FAMILY is us being snobs and making a black mark on OUR profession as a whole. End of RANT and RAVE!

Indian Tank. I prefer galvanized, but the rubbery vinyl ones are okay. Not in turnout gear though, there are different types of gear.. Extrication, wild land, structural, ARFF, etc. I've seen what happens when people wear structural fire gear, to a large brush fire. I'm good with work boots, cotton jeans and a long sleeve shirt myself, and really, I'd rather take a Pulaski or a rake. It's more common to see urban and suburban firefighters wearing Structural gear to rubbish or small brush fires. It's a sure ticket to heat exhaustion.. and tall boots on rugged terrain is a sure ticket for an ankle fx.

Obviously the writer was a city slicker. Of course in saying that I have seen city fire departments send a crew to aid us on 100000 acre wildland fires and they did respond in bunker gear as they had no wildland gear. They basically were of no help to us, just consumed food we could have used.

• Like 2

Ummm I don't see me referencing firemonkey, incompetent etc. However, this is called EMT City, not Fire City. I'm not against fire - I was originally a firemedic. I also support our firefighters that are going through some issues right now. Both serve their purposes. However, I do NOT agree with fire based EMS. I certainly think resources and grants that are poured into fire (based on medical runs to pad call volume) are much better directed to be used for EMS funds only. Not to buy a prettier shade of red fire truck when the current one works fine and there are EMS departments that are lucky to have a running truck ! But I won't start that arguement as its been debated to death on this forum. Just understand it wasn't the right audience, we're commenting on that, not fire in general (or at least I can speak that way for myself).

Ummm he may not have used the term "firemonkey" and such this time, but he's constantly posting comments of that nature. It doesn't matter what the topic is, monkey sees "fire", monkey bashes "fire". That was the ponit of my comment.

Our EMS division is fully funded, so I don't see your point. My rig is brand new with 4000 miles and that new "green" technology where the exhaust is retained and superheated, and requires a regeneration if driven at slow speeds too often. Our supplies are fully stocked. Since our personnel are dual role, we don't have problems such as burnout due to mandatory OT, and our firemedics get a break from excessive call volume by rotating to and from the engine. Retention and longevity are easier to achieve when firemedics can work different aspects of the job and not get burnt or feel "stuck" in a certain position. I agree with fire based EMS probably as much if not more than you disagree with it. Don't project the shortcomings and faults of your former dept onto mine.

• Like 1

Ummm he may not have used the term "firemonkey" and such this time, but he's constantly posting comments of that nature. It doesn't matter what the topic is, monkey sees "fire", monkey bashes "fire". That was the ponit of my comment.

Our EMS division is fully funded, so I don't see your point. My rig is brand new with 4000 miles and that new "green" technology where the exhaust is retained and superheated, and requires a regeneration if driven at slow speeds too often. Our supplies are fully stocked. Since our personnel are dual role, we don't have problems such as burnout due to mandatory OT, and our firemedics get a break from excessive call volume by rotating to and from the engine. Retention and longevity are easier to achieve when firemedics can work different aspects of the job and not get burnt or feel "stuck" in a certain position. I agree with fire based EMS probably as much if not more than you disagree with it. Don't project the shortcomings and faults of your former dept onto mine.

I would suggest you read tniuqs' post. Heathy competitiom between services is a good thing. Derogatory humour will always exist. I think u need to learn not to take it personally.

If you would care to read the rest of my posts you will find I am also critical of many in EMS for their lack of initiative, stupidity & other moronic acts.

Edited by aussiephil
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.