FireFighters

TK

I would suggest you read tniuqs' post. Heathy competitiom between services is a good thing. Derogatory humour will always exist. I think u need to learn not to take it personally. If you would care to read the rest of my posts you will find I am also critical of many in EMS for their lack of initiative, stupidity & other moronic acts.

Bite me upside down roo breath ... get a life ! :devilish:

• Like 2

Don't project the shortcomings and faults of your former dept onto mine.

First off let me be VERY clear on one thing - you know nothing about me, my former department, or the current situation here so I would highly suggest taking a different approach there. It is now you speaking with the stupidity that you reference.

I came from a fire based dept that was excellently funded in the EMS department. And yes, most of our money came as a result of fire based grants because it was our EMS run volume that kept us functioning. I have assisted with the grant writing process and am familiar with it enough to know that a dept with a small run volume is not going to be competitive with a department with a larger run volume for grants. That is why EMS is included for almost all applications around here. The dept I came from had some of the nicest equipment, trucks, and the most aggressive ground protocols (and training maintenance requirements) for anywhere in the state at the time for an average ground service (by that I mean excluding specialty ie peds or critical care). We weren't a large dept but we had more than what we needed and I doubt few could rival it. There were some aspects I say would have been fantastic to implement at services across the state such as the skill maintenance clinical requirements etc.

I'm glad you're in a decent dept that provides for your needs. That's great, but that's a rarity. I was referencing what I am seeing in surrounding departments, and a national trend within fire based programs. It's because of these issues with the exception of very few small paid city depts (and one large city dept) all are separate fire and ems. As for the rotation issue - if you have an adequate number of medics, etc you should have no trouble maintaining a content team. You cannot maintain adequate training for both fire (with all the specialties of rope, trench, etc) and EMS certifications and be excellent with both at the same time. Which was part of the reason I left fire based EMS - it was not because I wasn't content with where I worked. If burnout is an issue, don't rotate to the engine, use the money to put more buggies on the road ! And as for supporting our local FF - that is part of the issue they're dealing with and why I'm choosing to support them is their fight against city hall for choosing to close down a dual station (putting both trucks out of service) instead of a full fire company increasing the EMS workload and forcing them to use funds for fire not EMS.

Use your intelligence and speak on what you know, not what you don't. I'm not saying all fire based departments are the devil and that they're bad - just as you said. There is good and bad in everything. Don't attempt to take a discussion to something you know nothing about. I didn't make a personal attack on your dept, so do me a favor and leave my former dept alone. As you failed to read - I actually SUPPORT fire in alot of things. Each has their specialty, and are good at it. Your comments were ridiculous, unfounded, and ignorant. Think before you speak next time.

All this animosity stems from "HOSE envy". Sadly its true some people feel woefully under equipped to handle all situations so they choose to canonize the one the have mastered. Its a shame really all they need is a little confidence building and they to will feel adequate in most situations. But one truth still remains some of use can be firemen and emt's some can't.

P.S. I love stirring the pot Merry Christmas to all

• Like 1

Here in Australia EMS and Fire are two totally different government funded services. Each state in Australia has a Metropolitan and Country branch of Fire Service and each state has there own Ambulance Service.

In my state Melbourne has the Metropolitan Fire Brigade which is all paid, full time firefighters. In the country interface we have Country Fire Authority which encumbers just over 1000 fire stations, they have about 3,000 paid full time fire fighters and 30,000 volunteers. The larger rural city's and large coastal towns have paid full time staff and the remaining stations have volunteers.

It's no walk in the park to become a paid firefighter, the entry test is quiet extensive and so is the 4 months of academy.

The Ambulance Service is all paid full time staff, we don't have volunteers in EMS apart from CERT in remote areas. Again it's quiet a vigorous entry requirement to become a paramedic, most have 3 years degrees and undertake graduate training.

We don't seem to experience the conflict and problems between EMS and Fire as you guys do over in America.

• Like 2

Let it be know that I personally luv firemen, my favorite one is the one I own.

I would also like to know where all the NYF were last month when my friend went there. She says she didnt see any so no pic for me

Try FDNY Engine Co. 54, I forget exactly where it is, somewhere around Times Square maybe .... good fellas.

I also forget if it's Engine Co. 54 or Ladder 54, I think Engine, eh, I dno, Batallion 9? Sounds about right .... anyway they always stand out from and talk to random people walking past.

Had to laugh at the sign on the door which says "don't enter station to report fire when company is not in quarters, nearest alarm box ...." like you ever hear of 911?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.