Mostly here to watch and learn

Lisa O

Hi everyone. I am new to EMS, and will be starting school June 2010. It took a few weeks to decide which school to find out here in CA (Bay area) but, I think I settled on NCTI. I am 34, and finally forcing the path (wayy too many excuses before) to do what I have wanted to do for about 10 years now. I am married, have two tweens, and am ready to make this happen. I hope to be certified, and working by late next year. Right now, on papaer, my goal is to work as a Basic for about a year and a half, maybe 2, and then go to school for Paramedic. I am not in any rush as I want to do this correctly and with lots of thought and planning. I signed on here to maybe meet a few people from my area, to definitly learn from as many angles as possible about the good, bad, ugly, and rewarding of EMS. I have also heard that people who are not in EMS, esp. family do not understand a lot of what your going through. So, even as early as school, I thought it would be great to have some friends who have been there and "get it".

Thanks

Lisa

• Like 1

Did you check out all the City/Community colleges before settling for NCTI?

There is San Francisco city which seems to be a good program. And one closer to me that is a community college in Pittsburg, but that one is 5 months VS the other two programs that are 8 weeks. And I was told by two people that its not the "best choice". There is actually another that is only 4 weeks in Berkeley, but something about that doesnt feel right. I narrowed it down to NCTI and the San Francisco program, but, have not put any money down on either as of yet. I really am looking for a school that has great hands on time during and after its program. I dont want to just textbook learn everything, take the NR, pass (hopefully) and then be a wreck in real life. I live about 40 minutes plus from both schools and about 15 minutes from the community college one. I know that when it comes to the Paramedic program I want to go to San Francisco, it seems to have the best, but, more costly.

• Like 1

There is San Francisco city which seems to be a good program. And one closer to me that is a community college in Pittsburg, but that one is 5 months VS the other two programs that are 8 weeks. And I was told by two people that its not the "best choice". There is actually another that is only 4 weeks in Berkeley, but something about that doesnt feel right. I narrowed it down to NCTI and the San Francisco program, but, have not put any money down on either as of yet. I really am looking for a school that has great hands on time during and after its program. I dont want to just textbook learn everything, take the NR, pass (hopefully) and then be a wreck in real life. I live about 40 minutes plus from both schools and about 15 minutes from the community college one. I know that when it comes to the Paramedic program I want to go to San Francisco, it seems to have the best, but, more costly.

NCTI is AMR's "EMT and medic mill". They are very expensive where the community colleges are roughly $25/credit hour. Also, at the colleges, you get actual college credit which will transfer within almost any college system. NCTI's credits will go nowhere. You may not want to stay just as an EMT but may want to advance to Paramedic or some other health field. Being established in a college will be a plus. Of course, since NCTI is a private trade school, they are professional sales people and will attempt to sell you a package deal including their "week long" Anatomy and Physiology class which they say is exactly the same almost as what you get in a college. They will then attempt to get you to sign up for their Paramedic program for some obscene amount but presented to you as "all for just one low price of $xx,000 and 10 years of loan payments.

Unfortunately, the EMT-B will not give you alot of clinical experience. However, I do think the lab at SF-CC is adequate despite being a little shabby if they are still in the same location. But, if their class structure is set up for more lecture as well as lab, that is way ahead of the 4 or 8 week programs that still only come out to 120 hours of training. But, again, the perk is getting your foot in the door of a decent college system for future endeavors. I also suggest taking some real college Anatomy and Physiology courses so you will have a better understanding of the skills you will be doing with the hands on part. A 120 hour course is not enough. You will also be better prepared for Paramedic school and whatever the future holds for EMS. Too many find Paramedic school difficult because they have not taken classes since high school. Paramedic school is also not that long and instead of giving you a good foundation first, it relies a lot on memorization. If you take a few foundation courses first, Paramedic school will be much easier for you.

You are still young so don't get overly concerned about time.

Edited by VentMedic
  • Like 2

You are still young so don't get overly concerned about time.

I hope so. I am trying to tell myself that I have maturity (kinda..lol) and age on my side, while not being too old. Then I kinda worry that someone in their 20's will breeze past me since I am well into my thirties..*sigh I am just gonna grin and bear it, try hard, and do my best.

I really really like your plan o action with the city college. Sine I plan on going through to Paramedic at SFC anyway, its only a big duhhh to start there. I just am not a huge fan of the city streets, thats just the sissy in me. I guess there is only one way to get over that. blink.gif Okay then, I feel better, its a more solid option. The spring 2010 classes are closed already. I need to get a jump on the summer or fall classes ASAP before I lose a spot there. Thanks so much

• Like 1

Good advice from VentMedic. As a product of a vocational school (though a well-respected one), I had a good basis to start work, but felt lacking in a complete education. I've spent several years studying on my own and learning from real world experience to really feel comfortable with what I do, and I don't have any college credit to show for that. Go the college route for sure if it's available for you. Where I used to live, it wasn't available to me and I would have taken advantage of it if I could. I now say this having an intern who attended NCTI and has a lot of studying to do to fill the gaps in his education just as I did.

Now I'm going back to school for nursing and I'm pretty much starting from scratch, so I wish I had the credits for the time I put into my education after medic school.

Anyways, good luck with your studies and I hope you enjoy being an EMT. I'm local to the bay area as well and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Edited by treaux
  • Like 1

Good advice from VentMedic. As a product of a vocational school (though a well-respected one), I had a good basis to start work, but felt lacking in a complete education. I've spent several years studying on my own and learning from real world experience to really feel comfortable with what I do, and I don't have any college credit to show for that. Go the college route for sure if it's available for you. Where I used to live, it wasn't available to me and I would have taken advantage of it if I could. I now say this having an intern who attended NCTI and has a lot of studying to do to fill the gaps in his education just as I did.

Now I'm going back to school for nursing and I'm pretty much starting from scratch, so I wish I had the credits for the time I put into my education after medic school.

Anyways, good luck with your studies and I hope you enjoy being an EMT. I'm local to the bay area as well and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Couldn't agree more...I didn't go through my medic yet without credit but I have my basic and intermediate all with no credit hours. I'd be that much farther ahead for the same work had I been smarter. I think its excellent to have other options left open. Even if you end up head over heels for ems, it's hard on your body, and a tough profession to make real money in. GET CREDIT where credit is due.

• Like 1

1) Welcome

2) If you run into a bum on Fisherman's Wharf who claims to be an ex Firefighter/Paramedic, he is Tim, great guy.

3) If you are called to an unshaven male who has been living at the airport for several days and is now seizing, that's me. Be liberal with the ~az~am's, heck, midazolam, diazepam, lorazapem, I don't mind!

4) Education is important. Get some college A&P, pharmo, English and pato under your belt!

5) Again, welcome.

Ben

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.