Vancouver Olympic Volunteers

DBA

One of my medics has been selected as a volunteer for the Olympic Games in February. He's having trouble finding affordable housing. Anybody in the sea to ski area have a room to rent or some suggestions? He'll be there from the 10th through 29th. Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

Dean Anderson

Sonoma Life Support

• Like 1

One of my medics has been selected as a volunteer for the Olympic Games in February. He's having trouble finding affordable housing. Anybody in the sea to ski area have a room to rent or some suggestions? He'll be there from the 10th through 29th. Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

Dean Anderson

Sonoma Life Support

Most selected medics have boycott'd the games in support of the BC paramedic strike.

Food for thought

• Like 2

I'd offer a room, but I think the commute might be a bit far seeing as I'm in the southern US - good luck finding a place though.

• Like 1

Dean Anderson

Sonoma Life Support

Welcome:

I have a most excellent idea, just ask VANOC to provide accommodation for your selected medic, and btw one can not get a beer and a pizza for less than $50.00 (single topping) in the Whistler Village let alone a hotel room even close to the venues unless they are a millionaire. Simply stated the prices will be bloody astronomical at this very late date, a winter tent and arctic sleeping bag may be the only option available, I hope your staff member has experience winter mountain camping. I have friends that have rented their condo in Pemberton about an hour north of Whistler($8000 for that period and only a 2 bedroom)One late comer offered $10,000 but my friend has some integrity. Besides the commute will be rather long from Vancover and the price gorging going on in Vancouver is simply criminal, the commuter bus ride alone unless VANOC is arranging will cost an arm and a leg and check on-line for the availability, some issues reported in the news.

http://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1CHMA_enCA347CA347&aq=0&oq=VANOC+trans&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=vanoc+transportation+plan

Just friendly advise that your "medic" not seek assistance from a member of BC ambulance as they may NOT receive a typical warm Canadian Welcome that we are well known for ... please accept my apologies in advance, but BC Ambulance employees did not start the abusive situation for my brothers and sisters in EMS !

You should read this rather important information and links(s)if your service believes in a thing called democracy best be politically informed, many respected members from this professional forum and Paramedics from across Canada will be very hard pressed to support VANOC after their political shenanigan's and removing human rights using the excuse of "essential services" legislation. I certainly hope a member of CUPE does not see this.

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php/topic/16843-bc-paramedics-legislated-into-contract-extension/

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php/topic/16341-job-action-escalates-in-bc/page__hl__BCAS__fromsearch__1

With this extremely late request I hazard a guess that VANOC is putting contingency plans in place at very late stage, if you would be so kind when did your staff member get notification , as this would be quite interesting to hear.

I would suggest that a few questions should be asked by your "medic" for his her own well being in regard to:

1- What is the Scope of Practice they are expected to provide ?

2- Who is covering malpractice/liability insurance ?

3- Do they have direct reciprocity under BC regulations or have they applied ?

4- Is your member "aware" of the term OFA level 3 ?

Last but not least .... Does your member have a pink / salmon BDU shirt ?

Best look into those and read the thread links provided.

I am so trying very hard to be polite to our new member of EMT city regarding this request it has tested my "tolerance" to the limit, I just took a 10 mg of Valium and a beer to not loose my cool, true that :beer:

cheers

Welcome:

I have a most excellent idea, just ask VANOC to provide accommodation for your selected medic, and btw one can not get a beer and a pizza for less than $50.00 (single topping) in the Whistler Village let alone a hotel room even close to the venues unless they are a millionaire. Simply stated the prices will be bloody astronomical at this very late date, a winter tent and arctic sleeping bag may be the only option available, I hope your staff member has experience winter mountain camping. I have friends that have rented their condo in Pemberton about an hour north of Whistler($8000 for that period and only a 2 bedroom)One late comer offered $10,000 but my friend has some integrity. Besides the commute will be rather long from Vancover and the price gorging going on in Vancouver is simply criminal, the commuter bus ride alone unless VANOC is arranging will cost an arm and a leg and check on-line for the availability, some issues reported in the news.

http://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1CHMA_enCA347CA347&aq=0&oq=VANOC+trans&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=vanoc+transportation+plan

Just friendly advise that your "medic" not seek assistance from a member of BC ambulance as they may NOT receive a typical warm Canadian Welcome that we are well known for ... please accept my apologies in advance, but BC Ambulance employees did not start the abusive situation for my brothers and sisters in EMS !

You should read this rather important information and links(s)if your service believes in a thing called democracy best be politically informed, many respected members from this professional forum and Paramedics from across Canada will be very hard pressed to support VANOC after their political shenanigan's and removing human rights using the excuse of "essential services" legislation. I certainly hope a member of CUPE does not see this.

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php/topic/16843-bc-paramedics-legislated-into-contract-extension/

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php/topic/16341-job-action-escalates-in-bc/page__hl__BCAS__fromsearch__1

With this extremely late request I hazard a guess that VANOC is putting contingency plans in place at very late stage, if you would be so kind when did your staff member get notification , as this would be quite interesting to hear.

I would suggest that a few questions should be asked by your "medic" for his her own well being in regard to:

1- What is the Scope of Practice they are expected to provide ?

2- Who is covering malpractice/liability insurance ?

3- Do they have direct reciprocity under BC regulations or have they applied ?

4- Is your member "aware" of the term OFA level 3 ?

Last but not least .... Does your member have a pink / salmon BDU shirt ?

Best look into those and read the thread links provided.

I am so trying very hard to be polite to our new member of EMT city regarding this request it has tested my "tolerance" to the limit, I just took a 10 mg of Valium and a beer to not loose my cool, true that :beer:

cheers

Greetings,

As a member of the BC Ambulance Service and The Ambulance Paramedics of British Columbia CUPE Local 873 I think it is my place to provide some friendly guidance in this matter.

If you have been offered the chance to come to Vancouver/Whistler for the 2010 Winter Olympics to work as a medic either paid or volunteer, please be aware that you are coming into a labour dispute between the Paramedic Union, the Government of British Columbia and the Vancouver Olympic Organizing Committee (VANOC_ (and as such the IOC).

We were involved in a legal strike with our employer the BC Government and in the midst of voting on a contract offer when the Government imposed legislation ending our strike. This legislation was pushed through a marathon session of the Legislature by a majority government that refused to hear arguments from the opposition party. In fact the minister of Health who tabled the bill actually put earplugs in while members of the opposition read arguments against the bill. Further more it was brought to light that the reason this piece of law was forced was because VANOC asked the government to end the strike before the Olympics to save international embarrassment.

As such the Paramedics of BC have chosen to not volunteer to work at any Olympic Venue either paid or unpaid. The only Paramedic involvement will be that of EMS Venue Commanders who were hired prior to our strike commencing on April 1 2009. They could not resign due to threat of dismissal. Our refusal to work the games is due to the fact that our service currently is not capable of meeting standard operational levels because of mismanagement and lack of adequate staffing levels. To staff the games while duty ambulances go unmanned is unethical and unrealistic.

VANOC has stated that they will revert to Plan B which is not exactly known but if medics from outside are being recruited to come and work it's obvious what the plan may be.

Please in the spirit of solidarity and better judgment DO NOT COME TO BC TO WORK THE OLYMPICS AS A MEDIC!!!!

It is safe to say you will not be welcomed and won't be treated well by our membership. Paramedic Unions from across Canada and the US have publicly stated that they will not endorse any of their members coming here to work for the games.

Please come to BC for any other reason you like but respect our fight and not work.

• Like 2

Squint and Al have given you pretty well all of the pertinent information regarding the matter. If your friend/coworker has any desire to have any kind of cordial relationship with Canadian paramedics I would strongly recomend abandoning plans to work/volunteer at the 2010 games. Those of us in BC are currently engaged in a provincial labour dispute with national ramifications. At this point "Charter Rights" (similair in concept to US constitutional rights) have been violated by a provincial dictatorship.

• Like 2

Al:

Paramedic Unions from across Canada and the US have publicly stated that they will not endorse any of their members coming here to work for the games.

I would like to also say that this communist move by the BC government as angered and set very dangerous precedent for all Paramedics across Canada, as a non union affiliated Paramedic I feel it is my professional obligation to my brothers and sisters working in BC to be steadfast in my refusal to support VANOC or Comrade Campbell's "intuitive's".

I believe it is well overdue to form an IAPP (International Association of Paramedic Professionals) we should take a lesson from the IAFF.

In solidarity of EMS.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.