I am now a statistic.

Flasurfbum

Umm... I was talking about the stretcher shoulder harness. I thought he was too.

I'm confused...

Woops.

Thought he was talking about the shoulder straps WE have, not the ones on the cot.

Percs and posting.... not a good mix. :innocent:

Me: "And you'll find your seatbelt just behind you there on the bench."

RN: "Oh thanks I don't need it."

Me: "I'm sorry but if you could buckle up in the truck please."

RN: "I'm been in Ambulances for years, I don't need a seatbelt."

Me: "Perhaps, but in the event of a collision you will be a projectile and I don't trust my dodging ability as much as you do. So buckle up."

Hehe... very similar to the line I have used. When it becomes clear that they don't care about their own safety, I tell them, "Listen, I don't give a shit about you. I just don't want you bouncing off of me in a collision."

Funny you mention that.

I guess I am a statistic as well, my partner used me as Sponge Bob crushing me against forward bulkhead in a wreck and HE was off work for 3 months ... (3 in the back on a critical cardiac transfer by air then ground)

I hobbled about for 3 weeks with a back injury and kept working the fool I am, I was under the delusion I was related to Chuck Norris :shiftyninja:

Something like a loose 'D' tank flying ones head is a real wake up.

cheers

Let me add that in a non-emergent transport situation the 5 point belts for the patient is nothing. But if we look at a 911 system with a zero to low serious collison percent, under 5 mi average transport. Where does "risk/cost vs. Benifit" fall there? I'm not personally against increased safety, but need a level of practicality to it.

Let me add that in a non-emergent transport situation the 5 point belts for the patient is nothing. But if we look at a 911 system with a zero to low serious collison percent, under 5 mi average transport. Where does "risk/cost vs. Benifit" fall there? I'm not personally against increased safety, but need a level of practicality to it.

Better yet, what is the risk vs. cost of NOT using them? :huh:

Unless you have some special medic-fu that keeps your patients on the stretcher in a collision that the rest of us don't have, by all means share it.

Until then, I would ask, as an advocate for YOUR patients, that you use the legally required restraints.

What does distance traveled have anything to do with it? OR even a low "serious" collision percentage?? My county had a low percentage yet I was involved in a wreck on the way to a call < 5mi from the station. Had we had a patient in the back at the time it would not have been good at all. Your arguments have no strength in them.

NY State law just requires the 3 straps of the stretcher be secured. If only that was done with the dummies in that video, I feel the "patient" would have gone through the front wall and into the driver's back! <BR>Also, if I remember correctly, the KKK-1822 standards are for the construction of the ambulance, not so much what is carried within, and are guidelines for some kind of federal grant monies for ambulances built to their standards,&nbsp; for federal usage.<BR>Could someone get confirmation on that last, as I admit uncertanty on it.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.