Can you take the EMT certification program if your pregnant?

Sarah1985

Ok, so I finally got in touch with the people who run the EMT-B course where I live and the lady tells me that I might not be able to get certified because I'm pregnant (really not that big of a deal). I would be certified before the baby is born. I just need some clarification. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

• Like 2

Ok, so I finally got in touch with the people who run the EMT-B course where I live and the lady tells me that I might not be able to get certified because I'm pregnant (really not that big of a deal). I would be certified before the baby is born. I just need some clarification. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Seems to me the hardest part will be lifting and crawling around on the floor. If you will be early enough into your pregnacy that this is not a problem I don't see why you could not test. The biggest problems might come in the hands on part of the actual class (lifting, CPR on floor, ect...)but if they are willing to work with you it might not be a problem. Anyway good luck I have seen it done...

Pregnancy is NOT a disease (and preventable :whistle:)

You have a Human Rights Issue ... so can't take an exam or not allowed to work ?

Heck I worked with an outstanding very pregnant single MOM Paramedic and worked well into her 3rd Trimester ON CAR.

Good luck I hope "aforementioned Lady" put that in writing ?

cheers

• Like 1

Ok, so I finally got in touch with the people who run the EMT-B course where I live and the lady tells me that I might not be able to get certified because I'm pregnant

In this neck of the woods that would be called discrimination.

You need to get in writing why they won't let you take the class. If it's strictly because you are pregnant then you have a good case of discrimination or whatever they call it these days. too much political correctness.

Once you get it in writing why you can't take the class, but that will dictate your next move.

One could ask the following question depending on how far along you are, why can't you wait to take the class when you aren't pregnant? Sue them for discrimination and then take the class.

But seriously - let us knwo what they say.

I don't know about training, but around here, as soon as a woman finds out she's pregnant, she's off work, even though most OB's say that they have no problem with a woman working into her 1st or 2nd trimester. The biggest issue I have been told is balance ans safety issues associated with that, when the woman starts getting big.

I do see potential issues with training if the woman is large and needs to work on lifting techniques. It may be a liability issue for the school

• Like 1

I don't know about training, but around here, as soon as a woman finds out she's pregnant, she's off work, even though most OB's say that they have no problem with a woman working into her 1st or 2nd trimester. The biggest issue I have been told is balance ans safety issues associated with that, when the woman starts getting big.

I do see potential issues with training if the woman is large and needs to work on lifting techniques. It may be a liability issue for the school

So fat guys are off the truck too the moment they are fat? I mean with the balance issues and all...certainly is a safety risk and all.

So fat guys are off the truck too the moment they are fat? I mean with the balance issues and all...certainly is a safety risk and all.

Didn't say I agreed with the policy.

Like everything else in medicine, this is all about fear of litigation.

Think of the issues OB/Gyn's have- many will no longer deliver kids because their malpractice is through the roof.

Ideally, to mitigate those lawsuits, a woman who is pregnant could be put on light duty/assigned to a desk job/training if possible in their agency. Problem is, in many areas, light duty is not an option- either you are fully functional to work with no restrictions, or you are not.