NCTI las vegas

the light

I'm currently attending school (for EMT-B Certs) at NCTI las vegas, have I made the wrong choice in doing this? I've read quite a few bad things about NCTI . I wish I had known this before I signed up for class! :(. I mean I should be fine as long as I get certified? Are potential employers going to look down on this? Also, I planned on getting certified as an EMT-I at NCTI as well. The courses at the local college I believe do not offer the EMT-I classes separately. Although I could be wrong.

Has anyone went/attended NCTI? What were your experiences? Even more helpful did you attend in las vegas

doesn't help me now. now does it?

How about something more constructive than "good luck"

Yeah man, stupid initial response. He has a point, but it certainly wasn't helpful.

I don't know about that school, so I can't help there. But it's unlikely that it will make a huge difference when trying to get hired. Whoever is hiring will have their own testing, hopefully, and that will be given much more weight, along with your perceived competence, than where you went to school.

Try not to make any more significant decisions regarding EMS until you are through, or near through your Basic. While doing that you will make a lot of contacts, meet a lot of medical people and end up with a lot more accurate, significant information.

Good luck man..

Dwayne

Whoever is hiring will have their own testing, hopefully, and that will be given much more weight, along with your perceived competence, than where you went to school.

While regrettable, sometimes the school WILL be either the green or red light towards employment. I recall an EMT school that had so many complaints against it's graduates, the state actually closed the school, and recinded all the certs of the graduates, as well as the certs of the instructors AS instructors. Don't ask for specifics, this was over 20 years ago.

I don't know about that school, so I can't help there.

I know you've had to have heard of AMR's chain of medic mills across the country.

To the OP,

Get your education at the local college which will probably be much cheaper than what a cert at NCTI is going for these days. NCTI will also try to hook you in with the EMT-I and other certs because they know their credits will transfer nowhere. This school may also try to hook you with a "package deal" that includes your EMT-B-I-P. It is essentially a used car salesman gimick as reputable schools do not have to use such tricks to get students. Also, DO NOT take their 1 week crash course entitled "Everything You Need to Know about A&P in 1 easy week". Take a real college level A&P class at a real college. Then, go straight for Paramedic.

Edited by VentMedic

So essentially you're saying, finish the class I'm already taking... Then take the Paramedic program at the local college? Would this require me to retake the EMT-B classes?

I've already stupidly paid for this class. Huge mistake.

Edited by the light

• 3 months later...

talked to the local college, they say as long as I pass the EMT-B registry exam I can be allowed acceptance. So I'll put this other school behind me

Good attitude. Remember, you will get to take the same national test as everyone else after finishing at NCTI. The difference is, NCTI takes a lot more money form you than the local college, and their classes do not apply towards a degree. What you should do is finish your EMT class, enroll in your local community college and take anatomy and physiology and than sign up for paramedic school. If there is a waiting period before you can start the medic classes, taking medical terminology or some of the pharm or patho classes associated with the college's nursing program (if it has one) can only help and make paramedic school easier.