NREMT will be discontinued in KY?

Johntom2000

What standart?, there is no standard in ems, and most of the guys I know who let their NB laps are from the private realm.

1. You can't keep your story straight. That's not what you just said.

2. The B key is nowhere near the R key

3. There are standards in EMS. Maybe you should learn about them.

• Like 3

It's not just a big scam. We make our people keep NR because NR has a higher CE standard than the state.

I guess I'm not surprised when you say that the fire guys are the ones dumping NR.

Its the biggest scam I ever saw. Its setup to make you fail it the first time so you can go take it again. I know people have tooken it 4-5 times. I will be damn If I pay $70 6 times to pass a test that to say you can keep a patient breathing while on the way to the ER. That is what a class for. 70 dollars a pop *EMT-B TEST* is a joke. What ever happend to taking a state class then a test? Oh btw paying to get your CPR card and such. SCAM another money trick. It would be the best go get rid of the NR. Every state has different type of "standards" then others. So Please, quit sucking. BTW this will be my 2nd time taking the NR. If I don't pass it this time. i am getting a new job. I am nothing to have sucker and keep paying. I just take what I learned in class and go with it.

Edited by Johntom2000

1. You can't keep your story straight. That's not what you just said.

2. The B key is nowhere near the R key

3. There are standards in EMS. Maybe you should learn about them.

LOL, my bad butter fingers I say, but what kind of standard is there, I mean some places you get a two year degree in ems, and others you take an eight month to a year long votech class, some places require the NR and others don't. For most fire gigs where I work all you need is the state level license to be considered for a postion, So what is the standard? if you apply for a RN gig the min standard is a two year degree, we in ems have no standard not even a min with the NR. Frankly I think the NR is a joke and a scam, if it wern't so why wouldn't all states require it and all employer require that you have to maintain it?

Its the biggest scam I ever saw. Its setup to make you fail it the first time so you can go take it again. I know people have tooken it 4-5 times. I will be damn If I pay $70 6 times to pass a test that to say you can keep a patient breathing while on the way to the ER. That is what a class for. 70 dollars a pop *EMT-B TEST* is a joke. What ever happend to taking a state class then a test? Oh btw paying to get your CPR card and such. SCAM another money trick. It would be the best go get rid of the NR. Every state has different type of "standards" then others. So Please, quit sucking. BTW this will be my 2nd time taking the NR. If I don't pass it this time. i am getting a new job. I am nothing to have sucker and keep paying. I just take what I learned in class and go with it.

NR test is easy. It is not a scam. It is not set up to make you fail the first time. I passed the first time. If someone has to take such an easy test 4-5 times just to get an 70%, maybe EMS isn't for them.

Further, you don't seem to be a big fan of standards and verification. Without NR, you cannot think of moving between states. You'd have to take paramedic or emt school all over again. Other medical professions have national standards. A NCLEX licensed nurse with a degree from a properly accredited institution can move from state to state without having to take nursing school over again.

Lacking national standards makes us look like even more of a joke to insurance which keeps reimbursement low and our pay low.

The NR isn't perfect. It's standards should be increased. Moving the opposite direction and eliminating it will just be another step in relegating EMS to the backwaters. If you want an example of how NREMT fails us, IAFF likes NREMT because it let's them send their FF's to medic mills in other states. Of course, if NR was gone, there'd just be more medic mills locally.

In my state, you can recert as an EMT with only 36 CE hours and Paramedic with only 50. NR requires 72 out of everyone.

Further, the standard for classes to meet national (and thus NREMT) standards are different than the states. In my state, you could teach a state EMT class with less than 100 contact hours. Nationally, the new standard will be nearly 200 hours with more subject matter required to be covered.

There are standards, albeit low. The national standards are almost universally higher than state standards.

Edited by RavEMTGun
  • Like 2

NR test is easy. It is not a scam. It is not set up to make you fail the first time. I passed the first time. If someone has to take such an easy test 4-5 times just to get an 70%, maybe EMS isn't for them.

Further, you don't seem to be a big fan of standards and verification. Without NR, you cannot think of moving between states. You'd have to take paramedic or emt school all over again. Other medical professions have national standards. A NCLEX licensed nurse with a degree from a properly accredited institution can move from state to state without having to take nursing school over again.

Lacking national standards makes us look like even more of a joke to insurance which keeps reimbursement low and our pay low.

The NR isn't perfect. It's standards should be increased. Moving the opposite direction and eliminating it will just be another step in relegating EMS to the backwaters. If you want an example of how NREMT fails us, IAFF likes NREMT because it let's them send their FF's to medic mills in other states. Of course, if NR was gone, there'd just be more medic mills locally.

In my state, you can recert as an EMT with only 36 CE hours and Paramedic with only 50. NR requires 72 out of everyone.

Further, the standard for classes to meet national (and thus NREMT) standards are different than the states. In my state, you could teach a state EMT class with less than 100 contact hours. Nationally, the new standard will be nearly 200 hours with more subject matter required to be covered.

There are standards, albeit low. The national standards are almost universally higher than state standards.

I am a fan of standards. But, Lets say you want to be in EMS and you just can't pass the test. Its time to ethier look at the teachers that are teaching the class or the NR. One of the two must go. An If I looked at a person grades in class and he is passing with flying colors and he/she has failed the NR over 3+ times. Its time to take a overall look at the NR. Ethier water it down or get rid of it. Ask follow EMT's around anywhere I bet 7/10 will tell you that they had spent more what the spent on the just the class alone. IT'S A SCAM! Again I am going to say. Take a class, pass it, with 75 % or higher and take a state test. The NR is a joke and a SCAM for more money.

As for a low pay. Mcdonalds make more what KY and WV EMT's make on the hour. That is sad. The low pay is already here.

Edited by Johntom2000

If someone is passing their class with flying colors, and failing NR...It's not time to look at NR, you should be looking at what the class is teaching or not teaching. NR is nationwide... people pass it all the time with no problem, so how are those people passing? They had a good school behind their education. It is the EMS education system that needs higher standards. Medic mills and poorly trained instructors are the problem not the NR test. If we want to be taken seriously by other medical professionals we need to have a national standard to practice. Someone already mentioned NCLEX for nursing, the USMLE for the docs and there are tons of other accreditation sources out there. If we as EMS don't have a national test and standards, we are regressing and not progressing in the medical field.

• Like 3

I am a fan of standards. But, Lets say you want to be in EMS and you just can't pass the test. Its time to ethier look at the teachers that are teaching the class or the NR. One of the two must go. An If I looked at a person grades in class and he is passing with flying colors and he/she has failed the NR over 3+ times. Its time to take a overall look at the NR. Ethier water it down or get rid of it. Ask follow EMT's around anywhere I bet 7/10 will tell you that they had spent more what the spent on the just the class alone. IT'S A SCAM! Again I am going to say. Take a class, pass it, with 75 % or higher and take a state test. The NR is a joke and a SCAM for more money.

As for a low pay. Mcdonalds make more what KY and WV EMT's make on the hour. That is sad. The low pay is already here.

Funny how you're willing to blame everyone but the candidate taking the test. If a candidate can't pass after multiple attempts, the problem doesn't lie with the exam or the instruction.

Further, it sounds as if you're bitter simply because you couldn't pass a test that was written at a level so that someone with even a minimal high school education could pass.

What low pay?, I make over 100k a year.

It has also previously been established, right here in these discussion forums, that the cost of living in your area pretty much negates what might otherwise be considered an impressive salary. So knock it off already.

-be safe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.