NREMT will be discontinued in KY?

Johntom2000

You are correct, the NREMT now uses an adaptive computer based test. The point I was getting at is that adaptive vs non-adaptive and computer based vs non-computer based are two different subjects. If NREMT wanted to, they could have gone to a computer based, non-adaptive test like what the MCAT did in 2007 (cutting exam times in half to 4-5 hours in the process).

You are correct, the NREMT now uses an adaptive computer based test. The point I was getting at is that adaptive vs non-adaptive and computer based vs non-computer based are two different subjects. If NREMT wanted to, they could have gone to a computer based, non-adaptive test like what the MCAT did in 2007 (cutting exam times in half to 4-5 hours in the process).

Thanks - I was thinking I was seriously misinformed as I've been telling my students as such. Always good to clarify !

• 3 months later...

Wouldn't that apply to every profession's examination and certification agency, or do you feel this is somehow unique to EMS?

Point! This is the only one that I've really had any interaction with, other than at the state level, so it was rather new to me, initially.

The problem with NREMT, is that most states don't recognize it. 14 states for basic, and i think 41 for medic. If it allowed you to get reciprocity in any state, it would be great, but it doesnt. It basically allows you to apply for reciprocity, and then go through that states process. I am currently going through this process, as my new job requires certifications in 4 states, PA, DE, MD and NJ. Since I am originally certified in PA, i just have to worry about the other 3. NJ is just paperwork, since PA is part of the Mid-Atlantic EMS council. For Maryland, i had to take a 24 hour refresher course, then their practicals and written. For Delaware, I have to get my national registry, and then take a 24 hour refresher, and then their practicals and protocol exam. So how does the NREMT help me? DE is the only state of the 4 that recognizes it, and i still have to do everything over, even though it will be less then a month since my Maryland refresher course. What good is it? Also, without a state cert, NREMT is just a useless piece of paper.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.