NREMT will be discontinued in KY?

Johntom2000

I noticed in that NREMT newsletter, that there will be 4 'uniform titles' for EMS. The biggest 'problem' I see is this:

The 'new Paramedics' (Read EMT-I/99) will be labeled as 'not true Paramedics by the "old school 'REAL' Paramedics"...

I'm sure that there will also be quite a bit of gnashing of teeth and rending of garments because alot of the NREMT states will lose a boatload of 'titles' that aren't recognized by the National Registry.

I can only hope that this is the first 'small step' in a successive chain of bigger and bigger steps to help EMS become a truly recognized 'Health Care Profession'!

I noticed in that NREMT newsletter, that there will be 4 'uniform titles' for EMS. The biggest 'problem' I see is this:

The 'new Paramedics' (Read EMT-I/99) will be labeled as 'not true Paramedics by the "old school 'REAL' Paramedics"...

I'm sure that there will also be quite a bit of gnashing of teeth and rending of garments because alot of the NREMT states will lose a boatload of 'titles' that aren't recognized by the National Registry.

I can only hope that this is the first 'small step' in a successive chain of bigger and bigger steps to help EMS become a truly recognized 'Health Care Profession'!

How is the "new" Paramedic an I-99????????????????????

Also, states can ignore the NREMT and do what they want at the state level.

• Like 1

How is the "new" Paramedic an I-99????????????????????

Also, states can ignore the NREMT and do what they want at the state level.

You're looking at it backwards. The I/99 isn't the 'new paramedic level,' however EMTs who currently are I/99s are going to be transitioned to being paramedics, and thus they (the providers themselves, not the level) will be 'new paramedics.'

• Like 2

You're looking at it backwards. The I/99 isn't the 'new paramedic level,' however EMTs who currently are I/99s are going to be transitioned to being paramedics, and thus they (the providers themselves, not the level) will be 'new paramedics.'

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now I understand his statement

• Like 2

While the various states reserve the right to call each level of care provider by whatever name and title they want, it sounds like the alphabet soup of EMT, EMT-D, EMT-IV, EMT-B, EMT-CC, EMT-P, and even one I heard of called an EMT-4(P), will be cut down. Some standardization will take hold, at least in theory.

• Like 1

You can only hope that they discontinue the NR. it's just a big scam anyways everyone i know doesn't even keep the NR once they get fire gigs.

It's not just a big scam. We make our people keep NR because NR has a higher CE standard than the state.

I guess I'm not surprised when you say that the fire guys are the ones dumping NR.

• Like 3

It's not just a big scam. We make our people keep NR because NR has a higher CE standard than the state.

I guess I'm not surprised when you say that the fire guys are the ones dumping NR.

What standart?, there is no standard in ems, and most of the guys I know who let their NB laps are from the private realm.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.