Fox Reality The Academy

Diazepam618

Key phrase..."right of pasage." Dont residents work extreme hours to learn and prove themselves during there training? Don't white collar/college educated peoe go through years of tough education for a good job?

Yea... and those extreme hours (over 100 hours/wk was common prior to the hour cap) was putting people's lives at risk. You simple can't function properly when chronically sleep deprived and being sleep deprived shouldn't be designed into a program if it can be prevented. Strange how residencies are still operating and graduating students even though the hours have been capped.

On November 1, 2002, the 80-hour work limit went into effect in residencies accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).

For the record. ACGME residencies (MD residencies) have essentially the same rules as AOA (DO) residencies.

It's freaky how much my academy is like the show.

I think the same could be said about any sort of standardized, intense training/education. For example, a bunch of students at Washington University in St. Louis spoofed the Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" advertisements into "Real Med Students of Genius." Even though I'm a half a continent away, we've got the "Mr. Always falls asleep in class," "Mr. Never shows up for lecture" (about 1/2 my class right now. Yea for recorded lectures!), and "Mr. Will This Be On The Exam asker."

http://www.ramblestrip.com/blog/2007/01/real-med-students-of-genius.html

Yea... and those extreme hours (over 100 hours/wk was common prior to the hour cap) was putting people's lives at risk. You simple can't function properly when chronically sleep deprived and being sleep deprived shouldn't be designed into a program if it can be prevented. Strange how residencies are still operating and graduating students even though the hours have been capped.

For the record. ACGME residencies (MD residencies) have essentially the same rules as AOA (DO) residencies.

I think the same could be said about any sort of standardized, intense training/education. For example, a bunch of students at Washington University in St. Louis spoofed the Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" advertisements into "Real Med Students of Genius." Even though I'm a half a continent away, we've got the "Mr. Always falls asleep in class," "Mr. Never shows up for lecture" (about 1/2 my class right now. Yea for recorded lectures!), and "Mr. Will This Be On The Exam asker."

http://www.ramblestrip.com/blog/2007/01/real-med-students-of-genius.html

JP,

Thanks for pointing out the MD hours are almost Identical, I meant to say that in my post...

Thanks for the link to the videos.....LMFAO! Also, VERY IRONIC, as I just finished another marketing class for my MHA, and my team used those exact BUD LIGHT commercials for our team project......Those have got to be the best commercials out there ever..

Respectfully,

JW

My impression from FF friends is that the hour+ early thing is two reasons- prevent the offgoing shift from catching a late run (possibly more than one in busy departments), and camaraderie- instead of just saying hi to each other as they pass through the door, they spend some time around the kitchen table with a pot of coffee.

I know that in the FDNY (fire side), their day shift starts at 9. If your gear isn't on the truck at 8, you're late.

Yes. We have guys that come and work out early too. If I'm on the treadmill and the ambo goes out when im there early ill jump on.

http://www.ramblestr...-of-genius.html

Yo whatever you say, man. During my academy I repeatedly said that our experiences here would make for a great reality show. I'm stoked that there's now actually a reality series that comes pretty damn close to what we had to go through in our class. Don't be a killjoy. What they didn't show was the fun we had, like tossing a water cooler full of ice water on someone while in the shower and other frat boy stuff. Good times.

Now I can show my wife why I would sometimes turn in to bed at 2000 hrs or earlier, spend an hour + shining my shoes, pressing my uniform and pulling all strings, doing hours of dress drills (don/doff) in the yard with classmates, or combining our ropes and hardware to set up lowering systems and emergency rappeling from my balcony for hours.

It was a great experience, although I'd prefer to never have to do it again. The bonds made in recruit school often last for one's entire career. My officers, with 20 years + experience, still refer to another officer as their "academy buddy" when they describe them to me prior to a next day detail to their station.

Edited by 46Young