Woohoo, Cape Town is 2nd in the World

SA_Medic

In September last year, a website called Foreign Policy posted the 5 murder capitols of the world. I am not sure whether anything has changed in the last year and some odd months, but this is what the website says:

Number 5:

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

Population: 254,200 (2000 census)

Murder rate: 54 per 100,000 (2004 official figure)

Number 4:

Moscow, Russia

Population: 10.4 million

Murder rate: 9.6 per 100,000 (estimate)

Number 3:

New Orleans, United States

Population: 220,614 to 312,000 (2007); estimates vary due to displacement of people after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Murder rate: Estimates range from 67 (New Orleans Police Department) to 95 (Federal Bureau of Investigation) per 100,000

Number 2:

Cape Town, South Africa

Population: 3.5 million

Murder rate: 62 per 100,000 inhabitants (with a whopping rise of 12.7% between 2006 and 2007)

Ladies and gentleman, presenting the 2008 murder capitol of the world *Drum roll*

Caracas, Venezuela

Population: 3.2 million

Murder rate: 130 per 100,000 residents (official) - (some speculate that its murder rate is closer to 160 per 100,000.)

I know such lists exist for within the United States. From everything from murder, to rape, to petty theft. Never seen one on a world wide scale though. The San Francisco Bay Area, has a website dedicated to this as well. It will even give locations of the crime on a map on a day to day basis. I will look for the sites later on and post them if anyone cares.

I was always under the impression that Johannesburg was a much worse place in SA. I know a guy who lives in Cape Town and he claims it is great. So, I don't know.

I was always under the impression that Johannesburg was a much worse place in SA. I know a guy who lives in Cape Town and he claims it is great. So, I don't know.

Same here, being South African and having grown up and studied in Johannesburg, I moved to Cape Town because I got tired of all the crime and crap in Johannesburg. I never thought that Cape Town would out rank Johannesburg on the world scale. I suppose if you look at the gang related killings it should make sense