TRAUMA - Episode 6, 2 Nov 09

OK, with only 7 shows left, the episode of November 2 caused me to form these comments and questions. 1) A good head/neck trauma from a softball to the nose was wasted, as it was only used as a setup for why Nancy and the rookie were in response in the first place. 2) The rookie's questioning Nancy about what would turn out to be the letter of recommendation was distracting him from the task at hand, that of driving the "box" (terminology used in the show, leastwise they are not calling it a "bus"). Was he going to include the letter in that book he revealed he was writing last week? That distraction, IMHO, contributed heavily to the crash. 3) In the "prequil", Rabbit gives Nancy a ticket to the ball game. Was he planning on "scoring" himself ands Nancy "scoring" afterwards? 4) Boone and his partner respond to an EDP standing in the middle of a busy street, but don't use the ambulance to attempt to blockade the road, for theirs and the patient's safety... 5) and then do nothing to secure the EDP, either to the cot, or the seatbelt on the crew bench, even when the EDP starts throwing things at Boone. 6) The inference I picked up on, is that the 2 rookies, the EMT and the intern, might be getting ready to have sex. 7) After the collision, Nancy is laying on the ceiling of the cab, implying that she didn't fasten her seatbelt. Yet she's a student doctor who left the classes? She's probably so smart, she's dumb (note that I leave off the fact that she is a blond, which is a totally different area for jokes). 8) Boone and partner respond to the MVA/MCI with a patient already aboard? That's violation of policy/protocol in New York City and State, but do they allow that in San Fran? 9) Boone made the hard, but correct, call, to follow protocols of triage, with himself, the senior Paramedic on the scene, as Incident Command/Manager, and the partner starting to do the triaging. Boone then took command by both reminding and ordering the firefighters to follow the protocols, too. 10) How many of the Fire Fighters are in lust with Nancy, as they were ready to violate protocol to rescue her first? 11) Again, the colored ground covers for triage purposes, and again, I like, I like! 12) Rabbit violates his own experience of a stated 20 years as a Paramedic, and beelines to Nancy... 13) and effects a "Paramedic Shove" to push the EMT out of the way. 14) Years ago, Lou Ferrigno portrayed a Paramedic in a show called "Trauma Center". He didn't need a pneumatic cutter/spreader, he WAS one. Rabbit must have taken lessons from him, as nobody (?) previously had simply used his boot to kick out the windshield of the ambulance. 15) Nancy must have been in some level of shock, as she called Rabbit by his given name of Rubin. 16) The pilot's concern for Rabbit's mental state was correct, but seeing the physical attack Rabbit made on the fat guy with chest pains, she should have declined the call, "grounding" Rabbit sooner than she did... 17) and, again, since when do helicopters make house calls? Must be another San Fran "thang". 18) At least Rabbit's message to the fat guy, after the pilot calmed him down, was correct. 19) Rabbit, and several EMTs IN UNIFORM, getting sloshed in a bar? That is an act the FDNY would call "bringing disrepute on the department"... 20) and then the drunk Paramedic, Rabbit, gives proper instructions to the lesser drunk EMTs in the bar, as they render aid to Nancy's partner the rookie, who had collapsed (again!)? I can practically hear the disciplinary charges growing, per my local protocols and standards. 21) The intern blew the diagnosis, and should have run it by her supervising doctor, as stated in the show. Bad move, as she is working on her (possible) boyfriend. 22) Nancy's dad seemed somewhat angry towards the ER's OLMC doctor, who wrote the letter of recommendation. Either something is going on, had gone on, or daddy thinks something is going on or went on, with him. 23) In some systems, the agency would pretty much shut down the station that all could be with an injured member, even if it means forced overtime of members at another nearby station to provide the coverage. This showed the next best thing, as they all assembled at Nancy's bedside as soon as they all got off duty... 24) but Nancy just had a spleen removed, and they're practically force feeding her a slice of pizza. I'd think she would be "nothing by mouth" for at least 24 hours, plus she has to start taking meds to replace the stuff a spleen adds to the digestive track. <BR><BR>Sidenote: There was no mention of Boone's partner being Gay, dispite what many here stated the show was going to do.

Edited by Richard B the EMT
  • Like 2

I'd think she would be "nothing by mouth" for at least 24 hours, plus she has to start taking meds to replace the stuff a spleen adds to the digestive track. <BR><BR>Sidenote: There was no mention of Boone's partner being Gay, dispite what many here stated the show was going to do.

Err... the spleen is involved with immune function (essentially a large lymph node) and RBC breakdown, not digestion.

Realising that tomorrow is Monday again, I just now got around to watching this episode. Same observations as Richard. But really, it has become watchable. I still don't really care about any of the characters, except in the sense that I'd like to bang a couple of them. That's what hurts the future of the show. They really have a lot of potential with this show. But the director just sucks. He apparently hasn't the slightest clue of how to hook an audience. I'll say it again; even if the show were 100 percent medically accurate, it would still not be a very good show. Realism is the least of the problems here. It's just not that interesting.

• Like 1

I noticed that this episode was not posted here. But it's at nbc.com, which is where I watched it.

The Hidden Valley Ranch dressing commercial they keep showing you made me uber hungry though.

I noticed that this episode was not posted here. But it's at nbc.com, which is where I watched it.

The Hidden Valley Ranch dressing commercial they keep showing you made me uber hungry though.

:lol: I keep getting the Lexus commercials - obviously not marketed to EMS eh? There's not a medic I know that could possibly afford a Lexus (well and not live in it or the station !)

Edited by fireflymedic

Here's my, so far, favorite comment from Amee's blog . . .

"I was just wondering. Do you actually get to learn to fly the copter and fly it during episodes, or is it computerized?" johncarterER93

:rolleyes:

heresyoursign.jpg

Jesus age...it was a good episode and yoh have no concept of tv or urban ems.

Jesus age...it was a good episode and you have no concept of tv or urban ems "antects". Also triage rules/mci operations I've been taught say 'red tag and remove any injured emergency personel asap.' Mainly for those still on scene as injured providers are a distraction. And remeber the order were taught as emt-b's...you, your partner, your patient, anyone else.

May I add this profession never deserves another tv show on ems again for the way it disowned this one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.