What id a considered a good driving record?

Stefanc1

Hello, I have been doing some research on emt/paramedics, all the information that i have found was very helpful. but what is considered a good driving record????? I have a total of 3 speeding tickets 2 were in highschool, and 1 at the age of 19and i am about to becoming up on my 23rd birthday. I dont have any dui's or anything. also when applying for a job as an emt how far back do they check your driving record, 3 years, 5 years????? any information will be helpful. Thanks

Up to the individual company/county/service and their insurance policy. Usually though I have not seen many that look beyond 5 years. I have 0 points and 0 tickets though so I don't really know... Best to check with the individual service though. No DUI's and such is really a good thing... any wrecks? Having an accident which resulted in someone being hurt may hurt you but again up to the company insurance policy on that one.

Good luck!

Check your local regulations.

In Ontario to legally work as a medic you cannot have more than 6 demerit points. Which is essentially greater then two moderate (15-29km/hr over) within 3 years. Some services are known to not hire with more than 3.

It varies by the type of insurance the company has. Smaller private companies tend to purchase the cheapest insurance, which will also have a higher standard (may not allow anyone under 21 or 23 to be employed even with good record). Many municipalites may choose to be self-insured, which could have much more lenient standards; then there is everyone who is in between. Most insurance companies will pull your full 7 year record, and my guess is you are somewhere in the middle of bad and OK because of 3 violations in 6 years, but luckily you havent had any recently. The following study (didnt have time to find the original, but you can google from what you read and find it) shows that EMS folks who have had an accident or moving violation in the last 3 years are far more likely to be in a fatal ambulance wreck:

http://www.emsresponder.com/print/EMS-Magazine/Ambulance-Crashes--Fatality-Factors-for-EMS-Workers/1$1796

Quote:

"Nearly half of the ambulance drivers in all of the fatal crashes (both overall and among those involving EMS worker fatalities) had some kind of collision or moving violation in the three years before the fatal event. Several drivers had more than one offense listed in FARS; one in particular had been cited for speeding five times, had had his license suspended or revoked five times, and had been convicted of one other moving violation--all within three years prior to his fatal ambulance crash. The authors of a study examining 11 years of fatal ambulance crashes were similarly taken aback at the high numbers of previous citations among drivers of ambulances involved in fatal crashes."

What id a considered a good driving record?

Must be able to read and write prior to being allowed to drive. I presume "id" should be is and if correct there is no need for using "a" after is. So after taking time to decipher I think you were asking "What is considered a good driving record?"

This again will be state, county if in California, and service dependent.

• Like 1

Thank you spenac!!!! for pointing out that i messed up while typing the title. Next time i will be sure that all of the spelling and grammer are correct so you wont have to waste your time pointing out my typos. thanks again spenac

Your welcome glad I could help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.