PCR Grammar question.

DwayneEMTP

Your grammar is indeed correct (yes, I DO know how to speak and type proper English lol). Although, if that were me, I would have used a comma after "returning to the room".

Just out of curiosity. Who does your Q/A? Is it another paramedic or something like that? Or just an office/secretary worker?

Another paramedic.

Do you do the reports electronically or by hand?

Electronically.

And there was much more to the description of the pts conditions, but this sentence was part of building my argument that (as this was the third time I'd transported this pt in two hours) this pt was not truly showing seizure activity, to explain my lack of interventions this time around. See?

Dwayne

Dwayne slip this under the QA/QC office door

btw courtesy of Rat

1. The patient has no previous history of suicides.

2. Patient has left her white blood cells at another hospital.

3. Patient's medical history has been remarkably insignificant with only

a 40 pound weight gain in the past three days.

4. She has no rigors or shaking chills, but her husband states she was

very hot in bed last night.

5. Patient has chest pain if she lies on her left side for over a year.

6. On the second day the knee was better and on the third day it

disappeared.

7. The patient is tearful and crying constantly. She also appears to be

depressed.

8. The patient has been depressed since she began seeing me in 1993.

9. Discharge status:- Alive, but without my permission.

10. Healthy appearing decrepit 69-year old male, mentally alert, but

forgetful.

11. Patient had waffles for breakfast and anorexia for lunch.

12. She is numb from her toes down.

13. While in ER, she was examined, x-rated and sent home.

14. The skin was moist and dry.

15. Occasional, constant infrequent headaches.

16. Patient was alert and unresponsive.

17. Rectal examination revealed a normal size thyroid.

18. She stated that she had been constipated for most of her life until

she got a divorce.

19. I saw your patient today, who is still under our care for physical

therapy.

20. Both breasts are equal and reactive to light and accommodation.

21 Examination of genitalia reveals that he is circus sized.

22. The lab test indicated abnormal lover function.

23. Skin: somewhat pale, but present.

24. The pelvic exam will be done later on the floor.

25. Large brown stool ambulating in the hall.

26. Patient has two teenage children, but no other abnormalities

27. When she fainted, her eyes rolled around the room.

28. The patient was in his usual state of good health until his airplane

ran out of fuel and crashed.

29. Between you and me, we ought to be able to get this lady pregnant.

30. She slipped on the ice and apparently her legs went in separate

directions in early December.

31. Patient was seen in consultation by Dr. Smith , who felt we should

sit on the abdomen and I agree.

32. The patient was to have a bowel resection. However, he took a job as

a stock broker instead.

33. By the time he was admitted, his rapid heart had stopped and he was

feeling better.

As the official village idiots helper of EMT city:

I therefore demand an immediate resignation from the grammar and spelling bee a written apology in Latin in blood and one hundred lines at the grade school chalk board.

j/k

One spelling error and QA/QC is on your case, well there in lays your problem, but no queries into the patient care speaks volumes.

cheers

Therein LIES the problem.

Your punishment, sir, is twice as much of what you suggested for Dwayne!

Therein LIES the problem.

Your punishment, sir, is twice as much of what you suggested for Dwayne!

Hey all,

I think I did a poor job of representing our QA/QI process, or it is simply different than what others are used to.

No one was on my case. Where I work this is not a punitive process. We submit our reports and they are reviewed before being permanently stored and uploaded to our medical director and are encouraged to argue our points of view in order to improve future accuracy. I actually enjoy this process. I believe that intelligent documentation is a very real part of my personal mental call review as well as an awesome benchmark for my professional attitude. Poor spelling, grammar, sentence structure? I would not consider it a favor if those that know and care about me would be comfortable watching me slip day by day further from my goals.

I don't believe I'm better than the medics I have no respect for. Those that have met me will tell you that I'm not packing many more brain cells than are necessary to keep me breathing. I will slip, and my intellectual/professional quality will fail, the same as theirs did. Knowing this, I have chosen to do what I can to surround myself with smart, strong people that also find joy in the process of making me stronger and smarter as well. That is why I hold so many at the City dear, and get a little cranky when others imply that this is simply a place "to hang out and chat."

I abhor the thought of being one of 'those' medics, the ones that do many parts of their jobs simply to get by. I hope to one day consider dust, ak, chbare, Vent, and many others of course, my peers, yet am very confident that I will be unable to do so without the kind, yet completely honest criticism from those that surround me.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm grateful to all of you that came down on my side, ready to go to the mat to defend me. But in this instance I'm fortunate to work at a service that believes that details are important, education and criticism are important, but that anger, fear and punishment are not the most efficient tools to delivering those qualities to their employees.

I find great joy in times such as a few weeks ago, when my boss came into the crew area and said, "Can someone please tell me, with a chest pain patient, what is our first pharm intervention!?!" All said, "That would be O2/ASA boss!"

He said, "Mr. Womack, would care to share your treatment of your "chest pain" patient yesterday??" See, I had a lady that had obvious muscle pain secondary to using her new walker. History of developing pain was clear, Bilat chest, arm pain, tender to palp, complete resolution of pain with rest and shallow respiration, perfect lungs/12 lead, no cardiac history, etc, etc.

I said, "Ok, Yeah, I didn't give aspirin, that was kind of a bonehead stunt...I get it!" And it was, and I did. I was so secure in my diagnosis that I failed to do the one simple, cheap, relatively safe thing that is proved to create a more positive outcome in AMI, just in case I was wrong. (No, he wasn't implying that I should have employed my cardiac interventions despite my assesment findings, only that, in this case, I could have taken steps to mitigate the patho issues should there have been an MI hiding underneath. see? I didn't do bad, my diagnosis was spot on as verified by the hospital, but I could have done better. And better, I tend to believe is where we'll someday find outstanding.)

Everyone laughed and gave me hell, but only because we all understood that the reason to celebrate this misstep was because we all learned from it, as well as it wouldn't be so funny if I didn't show pretty good judgment most times.

Anyway, I didn't mean to write a book, and I know that this environment isn't for everyone, but I wanted to explain this a bit as our service's attitude on performance as well as productive criticism and education is one of the things I'm most proud of when I mentally compare 'us' to 'them.'

Have a great day all, and thanks for your feedback!

Dwayne

Edited to repair a few typos. No significant context changes.

Edited by DwayneEMTP
  • Like 1

Well that got me to thinking, so do I have to resign as Village Idiots Helper two ?

Ahem: Lone Star :thumbsdown: down for missing the "run on sentences" of which I am more than famous.

I'm going out for walk to look for a blood donor, hey maybe Village Axe Murderer ?

Thanks LS for the new occupation suggestion.

<insert one twisted smiley>

cheers

Ooops...ended up with the wrong quote in my post. But you all will get the point I'm sure.

Those are hilarious squint! I've seen them before, but always find a few of them to laugh out loud to...grin.

Thanks brother.

Dwayne

Ahem: Lone Star :thumbsdown: down for missing the "run on sentences" of which I am more than famous.

I'm going out for walk to look for a blood donor, hey maybe Village Axe Murderer ?

Thanks LS for the new occupation suggestion.

<insert one twisted smiley>

cheers

'Lone Star'

(Let's not forget the apostrophe to show possesive tense of Idiot.)

Now that ranks up with one of funniest comments I have ever scene. :innocent:

Do I REALLY need to go into the whole 'punctuation thing' and sentence structure as well?

Perhaps change your occupation to Grammar Nazi although that would be a step UP in attire for yourself.

"Say what you will about the Nazis, but their fashion designer was fabulous."

I'm really begining :thumbsdown: to think that your new job should be "Village Whipping Boy", or something to that effect!

Back at y'all.

cheers eh.

Edited by tniuqs