I'm now a CNA! Hooray!

Floridastudent

You tell them you want to be a Registered Nurse. If you tell them you want to be an EMT, you may compromise your chances.

Ask them about tuition reimbursement and show them how eager you are to start the prerequisites for nursing. EMT and LVN are not beneficial to hospitals. The hospital will be looking for an employee that is planning on sticking around and advancing. Even though there is an abundance of CNAs, turnover and new hires are expensive when you including hospital orientation and employee physicals.

VERY good points! That is true about CNA turnover - every CNA student I met plans on becoming a nurse or PA or some other medical specialty - nobody wants to earn $9 an hour forever.

One question though - don't hospitals employ their own paramedics and/or EMTs? When my diabetic son had low-blood sugar seizures last year, and the local Fire Department ambulance took him to the closest hospital, I am pretty sure it was a hospital ambulance that took him to Arnold Palmer hospital afterwards. Although it was the middle of the night and my brain was somewhat fuzzy at that point.

Edited by Floridastudent

One question though - don't hospitals employ their own paramedics and/or EMTs? When my diabetic son had low-blood sugar seizures last year, and the local Fire Department ambulance took him to the closest hospital, I am pretty sure it was a hospital ambulance that took him to Arnold Palmer hospital afterwards. Although it was the middle of the night and my brain was somewhat fuzzy at that point.

Yes, Arnold Palmer has its own ambulance which is staffed by RNs and RRTs. There might have been an EMT driving the ambulance.

Florida statutes and the AAP (American Academy of Pedicatrics) are pretty specific when it comes to the qualifications of those who transport neonates and children. Pediatric education is lacking greatly in the current Paramedic curriculum.

http://orlandohealth.com/arnoldpalmerhospital/OurMedicalSpecialties/PediatricCriticalCareTransport.aspx?pid=4943

If EMTs or Paramedics do work in a hospital it is often under another title as the prehospital cert is just that...a prehosptial cert. They will work under whatever job description the hospital gives them.

Edited by VentMedic

In health care you seldom see (excepting many EMT jobs) the phrase, "no experience required."

Saying they want prior experience is them maintaining some mythical higher standard.

You see it a lot with positions like ED tech, Phlebotomist, etc. But if they need a CNV or whatever, and your timing is right, they'll give you a shot.

Don't ever let the phrase, "one year of experience," stop you from applying . . .

:)

You wish you were as young as I am you old lady. :showoff:

I'll add more once I find my hearing aid, my bi-focals, and a refreshing glass of fiber.

Spenac,

I presume you're aware that 'old people' are the biggest carrier of aids?

Walking aids

Band-aids

hearing aids

vision aids

I'm not implying anything...just sayin'..... :wtf::P:D:thumbsup::punk::whistle:

I wish I could find a one week CNA class here. I think it would look good on a BSN application... maybe?

Most of the programs here are 4-16 weeks long. I'd almost be worth it to fly somewhere for a week program because the amount of driving I'd do in the 4 week program... ugh!

Edited by RavEMTGun

I wish I could find a one week CNA class here. I think it would look good on a BSN application... maybe?

Most of the programs here are 4-16 weeks long. I'd almost be worth it to fly somewhere for a week program because the amount of driving I'd do in the 4 week program... ugh!

Well, where are you located? Orlando has a number of CNA classes within driving distance. There are also two-weekend versions of the class. The one week version is 6 to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday. Costs about $300. I think the two weekend version one is both Saturday and Sunday, for two weekends. The CNA class itself probably wouldn't help you much on BSN application, but if you get your CNA license and work even part time, that gives you some healthcare experience. And when I talked to the admissions people at several nursing schools they said that one of the things that helps an applicant is prior healthcare experience.

Also of course - once you go apply for a job - it doesn't hurt to have references from the place you worked as a CNA. And that place might even hire you as a nurse.

The 16 week programs probably include phlebotomy and EKG, which the one week programs don't have. Not a bad idea to have those two skills!

Also of course - once you go apply for a job - it doesn't hurt to have references from the place you worked as a CNA. And that place might even hire you as a nurse.

The 16 week programs probably include phlebotomy and EKG, which the one week programs don't have. Not a bad idea to have those two skills!

That all depends on what state you are in. Florida is getting a little more strict with their CNA cert but some states have already raised their requirements for hours and continuing education. Of course, the CNA programs offered at FL's community colleges and state tech schools are more hours because a few expect A&P to be included.

The PCT in Florida is about 600 hours or 6 months at some places. They do offer the phlebotomy and EKG with it.

Edited by VentMedic

Well, where are you located? Orlando has a number of CNA classes within driving distance. There are also two-weekend versions of the class. The one week version is 6 to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday. Costs about $300. I think the two weekend version one is both Saturday and Sunday, for two weekends. The CNA class itself probably wouldn't help you much on BSN application, but if you get your CNA license and work even part time, that gives you some healthcare experience. And when I talked to the admissions people at several nursing schools they said that one of the things that helps an applicant is prior healthcare experience.

It's a 56 hour classroom program in my state (+24 hours of clinicals). I guess that is why it takes longer here.

Edited by RavEMTGun

It's a 56 hour classroom program in my state (+24 hours of clinicals). I guess that is why it takes longer here.

In Florida technically you don't have to take any class at all - you can just go challenge it. However I don't see how you could pass the test without the class - there are a lot of very specific things that you need to do, which aren't necessarily how you would do it once you get hired at a nursing home, but which are required for the test.

The short classes that I'm talking about are just classes that help you pass the state-required test. You go through the steps of each skill, either on a fellow classmate or on the dummy (perineal care and catheter care come to mind. Ha ha, our female dummy had a strip of velcro on the front of her crotch where one could velcro on male genitalia. No-one made immature jokes about THAT. Anyhoo...)

The local community colleges, and plenty of other schools, offer courses of varying lengths for patient care technician.