I'm now a CNA! Hooray!

Floridastudent

Congratulations! Surly there are plenty of nursing homes and extended care facilities in FL you can apply at :) best of luck

If she goes to the hospitals and tells of her plans to be a nurse, they will welcome her. In the meantime they may provide more training for different positions within the hospital with the CNA cert or even get the PCT. There's also OR and Ortho tech which can be done OJT with the CNA cert in some places which she is going through RN school which most hospitals will pay for much of the nursing program.

• Like 3

If she goes to the hospitals and tells of her plans to be a nurse, they will welcome her. In the meantime they may provide more training for different positions within the hospital with the CNA cert or even get the PCT. There's also OR and Ortho tech which can be done OJT with the CNA cert in some places which she is going through RN school which most hospitals will pay for much of the nursing program.

Always with the excessive amount of info nearly nobody knows.. love it :)

It comes from being nearly as old as spenac to gain almost as much wisdom.

You wish you were as young as I am you old lady. :showoff:

I'll add more once I find my hearing aid, my bi-focals, and a refreshing glass of fiber.

• Like 1

Congrats on the CNA that is how I started my Nursing career best of luck for you and good luck on the job hunting.

It comes from being nearly as old as spenac to gain almost as much wisdom.

Thank God I am not the only one that knows Spenac is OLD!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: +1 for that reply

My only concern with getting a CNA job these days is that hospitals and nursing homes and even some agencies say they want at least a year's experience. I have none. The job market is so competitive that tons of unemployed people out there are rushing into the CNA field and competing for a chance to change poo-covered sheets. You should have seen the week-long CNA class I took; every class they offer is jam packed!

I would LOVE to get in to a hospital because it would give me such great connections in the medical field, so when I start applying next week, I will certainly apply to the two local hospital systems here, and maybe Seminole as well - I'm not that far. Next semester, when I take my EMT course and do clinicals at the hospitals in Seminole, I can always try again if I don't get in the first time.

In the meantime there is at least one agency where they aren't asking for experience, so I'll apply there too.

I am just so happy to have a usable job skill again! Worked as a newspaper reporter since 1990 - have a B.A. in journalism - that and $5 bucks will get me a Frappucino at starbucks. (Updated version of "That and 10 cents will get me a cup of coffee.)

And thanks for the good wishes, everyone!

Now I have to write up a resume with 18 years of non-health care related experience and try to make it look good.

Edited by Floridastudent

My only concern with getting a CNA job these days is that hospitals and nursing homes and even some agencies say they want at least a year's experience. I have none. The job market is so competitive that tons of unemployed people out there are rushing into the CNA field and competing for a chance to change poo-covered sheets. You should have seen the week-long CNA class I took; every class they offer is jam packed!

I would LOVE to get in to a hospital because it would give me such great connections in the medical field, so when I start applying next week, I will certainly apply to the two local hospital systems here, and maybe Seminole as well - I'm not that far. Next semester, when I take my EMT course and do clinicals at the hospitals in Seminole, I can always try again if I don't get in the first time.

You tell them you want to be a Registered Nurse. If you tell them you want to be an EMT, you may compromise your chances.

Ask them about tuition reimbursement and show them how eager you are to start the prerequisites for nursing. EMT and LVN are not beneficial to hospitals. The hospital will be looking for an employee that is planning on sticking around and advancing. Even though there is an abundance of CNAs, turnover and new hires are expensive when you including hospital orientation and employee physicals.