Flying Saucer Over CO

Eydawn

Well, I'm thinking my initial cynical hunch was accurate. The kid's statement, the parents reaction to it- busted, IMHO.

I heard an interview with a sheriff who said that house AND garage was thoroughly searched. He said they were not aware of storage space in the attack and that there was debris/stuff in the garage, and a pole, but no ladder or stairs that led them to believe there was any attic storage area in that garage. The sheriff suggested that maybe the kid climbed up on the debris and/or the pole and hoisted himself up(or was helped) to the rafters. The sheriff also said that while they were at the house, it seemed that the parents had absolutely no control or discipline over these kids- they seemed to be running around like maniacs and were oblivious to what was going on.

Here's the thing folks-

If anyone has or had a kid that age, they know a child's perception of time is warped. Tell a kid to stay in his room, take a time out, no TV- whatever, and a 10 minute punishment seems like 12 hours to them. This kid was hiding for several hours. I am not buying it.

I feel bad for the kid- he was probably doing what his parents told him to do- it's not his fault. Then I hear the kid has the flu- which, in conjunction with the media attention, would explain why he threw up while doing the national TV thing.

So, let's pretend this was an accident/mistake/misunderstanding (BS) but, WTF are the parents doing dragging that sick kid in front of the media- CNN, GMA, and countless other interviews?

They could make a statement, tell their side of the story, issue a press release, etc as they should in a case like this, but to drag that kid out and do multiple interviews- they are media whores. You need a license to fish, to have a dog, but any idiot can be a parent.

And so folks, we have the next nominees for parents of the year...

Edited by HERBIE1
  • Like 2

Ever looked for a kid that thinks he's in trouble? We spend HOURS looking for cub scouts that wander off on the scout ranch, and we've spent up to 13 hours looking for kids who end up being about 5 minutes from their campsites up here on SAR. And they end up being in the same place they've been for the last 5 hours we were looking. So, yeah, while most kids think time is longer than it is, kids who hide will stay put for a long period of time. Trust me on this.

I will agree that not everything is adding up here. I also agree that the parents are a little camera happy. I'm still waiting to see what the official investigation ends up saying.

I'm still just super glad the kid wasn't on the balloon. That would have been the worst possible outcome for this whole event.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Ever looked for a kid that thinks he's in trouble? We spend HOURS looking for cub scouts that wander off on the scout ranch, and we've spent up to 13 hours looking for kids who end up being about 5 minutes from their campsites up here on SAR. And they end up being in the same place they've been for the last 5 hours we were looking. So, yeah, while most kids think time is longer than it is, kids who hide will stay put for a long period of time. Trust me on this.

I will agree that not everything is adding up here. I also agree that the parents are a little camera happy. I'm still waiting to see what the official investigation ends up saying.

I'm still just super glad the kid wasn't on the balloon. That would have been the worst possible outcome for this whole event.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I agree about the SAR thing, but this kid was in his own house, not out wandering in unfamiliar territory. A kid lost in the woods usually WANTS to be found, unless we are talking about a runaway or discipline situation.

I don't fault SAR, the sheriff, or anyone involved in this search- they did their jobs admirably as always. If the kid didn't want to be found, it's easy enough for him to hide from his "rescuers".

Like someone said above, the parents are not likely to admit to a hoax, so we may never know for sure, but something stinks here, and my BS detector is usually pretty accurate.

• Like 1

Not to beat a dead horse here but...

Your young child is missing. You fear he may be in danger. So the first call you make is to the local TV station for help from their news chopper, not 911??

Busted.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113856719

The saga began Thursday when the homemade helium balloon slipped away from its tether in the yard. The father had scolded Falcon for playing inside the balloon while he was working on it in the yard, and an older brother saw Falcon go inside a compartment in the balloon but had not seen him come out.

balloon.jpg?t=1255701978&s=2Enlarge David Zalubowski/APSix-year-old Falcon Heene (front right) joins his parents Richard and Mayumi during a news conference outside the family's home in Fort Collins, Colo. on Thursday.

balloon.jpg?t=1255701978&s=51 David Zalubowski/APSix-year-old Falcon Heene (front right) joins his parents Richard and Mayumi during a news conference outside the family's home in Fort Collins, Colo. on Thursday.

The family panicked and called KUSA-TV, asking for help from the station's news helicopter.

• Like 2

Now he's vomiting on the air. http://rawstory.com/2009/10/balloon-boy-pukes/

coughliecough

Although, we've used medical, police and news choppers on SAR Missions. Anything that can hover with a spotlight will work.

Edited by 4c6
  • Like 2

Now he's vomiting on the air.

Not nearly as funny as dad shitting himself on air.

Watch the "We did it for the show" video and listen carefully. Right after the kid says that, dad shat himself!

Send them back to Africa!

Not nearly as funny as dad shitting himself on air.

Watch the "We did it for the show" video and listen carefully. Right after the kid says that, dad shat himself!

Send them back to Africa!

Yep. the dad was a stuttering fool when asked to explain his son's remark. Eventually he claimed it was in regards to showing the news crew where he was hiding.

I call BS again.

This story has taken on epic proportions. I heard a clip from You Tube where the dad was highly animated, describing how he thought Hillary Clinton was some type of lizard. I'm not making this up.

Then I hear that for months the family was shopping around to the studios with an idea for a reality series centered on their wacky exploits- storm chasing, searching for evidence that man descended from an alien race, etc... Apparently they videotaped the launch of their balloon for that reason, although I'm not sure that tape was from this incident.