Flying Saucer Over CO

Eydawn

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=125161&catid=339

This sucks for the kid!!! In Fort Collins, a family was doing some hovering tests with an experimental mylar aircraft, basically a UFO-shaped helium balloon. Dad thought it was tethered, and the 6 y/o kiddo climbed in and it broke loose. It's traveled over towards Hudson in Weld County now... and it's headed for DIA.

Air National Guard is going to try to get the kiddo via helicopter, but no word yet on the modus operandi...

Good luck to the kid!! Hope everything turns out ok.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Aircraft is down, kiddo not on board. Possibly basket detached, possibly kiddo didn't stay in basket. I'm thinking SAR is about to get paged.

I don't think this is going to end well :(

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I knew from pretty much the start he wasn't in there. Common sense would tell you that a balloon that size wouldn't lift a child. Not to mention the dynamics of it's flight. It wobbled all over the place, almost standing up completely vertical.

Most likely, he was screwing around with it, it let loose, he freaked and ran off hiding. The brother made up a story because that's what kids do.

worldchamp.jpg

I knew from pretty much the start he wasn't in there. Common sense would tell you that a balloon that size wouldn't lift a child. Not to mention the dynamics of it's flight. It wobbled all over the place, almost standing up completely vertical.

Actually, the flight dynamics are exactly what had me thinking he might actually be in there. The way it kept wobbling and favouring one side indicated a weight imbalance, similar to that of a 50 pound kid up against one side of the compartment.

Actually it would more than handle the weight of a small 6 year old. I do hope he wasn't in it and they find him hiding because he lost dads toy. If he was in it he will be found dead somewhere I fear.