Kids & the Marshmallow Test

Lone Star

I saw this and just HAD to pass it along!

ithout further delay, I give you "Kids & the Marshmallow Test"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWW1vpz1ybo&feature=popular

poor kids they should have gotten a whole bag for waiting so long :innocent:

If I remember correctly, and I'm not sure that I do, I believe this was part of a test to determine the age at which children come to understand the concept of delayed gratification.

It spawned from an idea of B. F. Skinners based on more intelligent, productive ways to teach children to control stress as opposed to allowing the 'world' to do it randomly.

Cute video either way... :-)

Dwayne

Those kids seemed to hold off pretty well. But we don't know how long they actually had to wait.

When I was a kid, my mom told me about similar tests the did when I was in pre-school. Along with general assessment stuff and determining if the kids could function in kindergarten. She told me how I was asked to name colors or something. I told them I did not know the colors. Then I got go to go home.

On the way home, mom asked me why I said I didn't know them, because I did. I told her, because I was hungry and wanted to leave. I knew that if I said I didn't know, they would stop asking me questions.

• Like 1

In a related video, they discussed the orignal test (the one in the video I posted), and the 'wait period' was 15 minutes.

The conclusion behind the test was that the kids that were able to show some restraint and wait for the reward of the second marshmallow actually went further in life than those that gobbled down the marshmallow.

What's interesting about this whole thread is that it started off as something 'cute', and I posted it for the 'smile factor'; and yet it's developing into something that explores human nature and behaviors.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.