Barack Obama for the Nobel Peace Prize

Just Plain Ruff

I have lost all respect for the Nobel Prize Committee.

It is my understanding that the nomination for this award is due in February. That means Obama was in office a grand total of less than a month, but somehow that merits a Nobel Prize to whomever nominated him? Are you friggin kidding me?

It's one thing to be nominated- lost of people are, with various degrees of worthiness, but it is quite another to be selected.

I'd love to know who was the one who nominated Obama.

First Al Gore, and now this?

Boggles the mind...

I have lost all respect for the Nobel Prize Committee.

It is my understanding that the nomination for this award is due in February. That means Obama was in office a grand total of less than a month, but somehow that merits a Nobel Prize to whomever nominated him? Are you friggin kidding me?

It's one thing to be nominated- lost of people are, with various degrees of worthiness, but it is quite another to be selected.

I'd love to know who was the one who nominated Obama.

First Al Gore, and now this?

Boggles the mind...

He was nominated for his vision of things to come according to the nobel prize report.

If Obama's vision comes to fruition then it was a good decision but this smacks of cronyism or favoritism.

There are 209 nominees of which almost all have been more successful in promoting world peace. The land mine group comes to mind quickly.

The physician in the congo going up against the bad people there also should have been considered rather than one person who had a vision.

I have a vision for world peace and I guess I could have won maybe.

The awarding of this prize to Obama actually cheapens the award for all the past winners.

But I do offer him congratulations for the win though.

Edited by Ruffems

Ah come on people, its a condolence prize for loosing his bid for the next summer Olympics ... :withstupid:

Now also in the news, Obama approved NASA shooting a missle and trying to start a war with all the green people on the MOON! :shiftyninja:

Seriously quite the feedback in the media and this is super controversial, this Obama dood has actually flipped this calling it a Call to enhance his position for Worldwide Peace and he has accomplished more in 9 months than most administrations laying the groundwork (thats what many very knowledgeable types are saying).... just saying his speech in the UN to remove "nukes" was stellar and hey for comparison ... Look to the many others politicians that received this award, some of the previous comments are a tad jaded based on emotion .... as Squint looks for level 3 Body Armour.

I think John Lennon should have received the Nobel Prize ... but thats just IMHO.

cheers

He was nominated for his vision of things to come according to the nobel prize report.

If Obama's vision comes to fruition then it was a good decision but this smacks of cronyism or favoritism.

There are 209 nominees of which almost all have been more successful in promoting world peace. The land mine group comes to mind quickly.

The physician in the congo going up against the bad people there also should have been considered rather than one person who had a vision.

I have a vision for world peace and I guess I could have won maybe.

The awarding of this prize to Obama actually cheapens the award for all the past winners.

But I do offer him congratulations for the win though.

Like you noted, if all you need to do is want world peace to win the Nobel Prize, then there would be millions of winners. It would be like finding the prize in a Cracker Jack box- nice, but not exactly special.

Ok, wait a second here. He was nominated and won because of an "idea" he had? Hell, if that's the case, I might win next year. Anyone with a buttload of advisors can come up with an idea. How about lets put that idea into use and oh I dunno... HAVE PEACE.

Oh crap I though someone said Piece ?

Obama may be watching too much Letterman ...I dunno ... :thumbsup:

From an article on MSN:

The award appeared to be at least partly a slap at former President George W. Bush from a committee that harshly criticized Obama's predecessor for his largely unilateral military action in the wake of the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

"People can read into it whatever they want," said former Bush spokesman Tony Fratto. "But when you're awarded a Nobel Peace Prize and the first question everyone asks is 'for what?' then you have to question what the motives of the Nobel committee are in making the award."

But GOP Rep. Gresham Barrett, who is running for governor of South Carolina, mocked Obama's prize.

"I'm not sure what the international community loved best; his waffling on Afghanistan, pulling defense missiles out of Eastern Europe, turning his back on freedom fighters in Honduras, coddling Castro, siding with Palestinians against Israel, or almost getting tough on Iran," Barrett said.

To think, Obama's 'vision' and 'commitment to peace' was only apparent for 12 days after he took office and the nomination period ended.

Obama himself said he felt humbled and undeserving, declaring in a Rose Garden statement: "I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments."

Maybe it was awarded due to some sort of 'entitlement'? What has he REALLY done other than make 'nice speeches'? So far his speeches are just that, hollow words not backed up by any concrete action.

Even though there are some on Capitol Hill that are offering praises and congratulatory statements, NOTHING has been cited as actual ACTION toward EARNING the award. One can only presume that the political ass-kissing is in hopes of 'moving up the food chain on 'the Hill'.

Granted, these quotes and statements have only been taken from one source, but I'm pretty sure that if I looked in other places like CNN, local news, Time, etc; these sentiments would be repeated and echoed.