How Long Is Your Orientation Period For.......

Minimum 80 hours ride along and completing orientation checklist for familiarization of all aspects of operations (protocols, rigs, maps/locations/streets, etc.) and also testing to include physical and knowledge. This period can be extended at any time if new hire not comprehending, until competence is met. Then placed on probationary period until fully knowledgible with service. This is just the minimum. There are many other facets/criteria that need to be met.

Depends on the person. Some will 3rd ride for more than 3 months. Myself I third rode 3 shifts and only did the 3rd shift because already scheduled as I was cleared before end of second shift. But I came from a service with much more aggressive protocols,so I only had to dumb down rather than increase my knowledge. The majority do at least a month of 3rd rides.

The squad I am is it depends,,, you have to be third person rider till you show you can do your skills with out problems. Then you have to be checked off with the Captain which mean you have do at least 10 3rd person ride with him. Then you are released to go on your own.

Depends on the person (no not thier race LOL), most only do 2-24hr shifts as a third. Then throw them into the deep end with a good experienced, educated, practitioner.

With the ride time, thier is also a few days in the office/bay to learn operations stuff.

Typically people spend 2-3 shifts as a third before being turned loose to attend. Junior people are paired with more senior people as much as possible and new hires (less than 6 months seniority) cannot work together. Driving is a bit of a different story. All hires must go through a one day ambulance operations program before they can drive at all. After the ambulance operations program new hires can only drive routine without a patient until completing a driving preceptorship with a qualified experienced driver.

There is also a new hire package that must be completed during the probationary period. It includes all of the radio codes used by the service, WHMIS, incident command structure (ICS 100), and several other things that slip my mind at the moment. In addition there are a number of continuing education day courses that must be taken during the first year of employment.

Depends on the person (no not thier race LOL), most only do 2-24hr shifts as a third. Then throw them into the deep end with a good experienced, educated, practitioner.

With the ride time, thier is also a few days in the office/bay to learn operations stuff.

Dang it mobey, you done beat Crotch to the race card.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.