Chemistry?

chbare

Should Chemistry or Additional be a Paramedic Educational Requirement?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should Chemistry or Additional Chemistry be a Paramedic Educational Requirement?

• Yes, a stand alone class, co-requisite, or pre-requisite.
    • Yes, but integrated into the core paramedic curriculum.
    • No, most current programs require or include enough chemistry.
    • No, it is not important.

I typically teach a pathophysiology course as part of critical care orientation, and I decided to change the presentation somewhat. I was able to lengthen the class a bit and I decided to add in a basic chemistry component. (Basic atomic structure, the formation of ions,(cations and anions), basics of ionic bonds, basics of covalent bonds, the mole, Avogradro's number, and a couple of other basic concepts.) The results of my class were quite interesting and I will discuss them later. However, what do you guys think? Is chemistry important, did you have chemistry, can you relate chemistry to critical aspects of your role as an EMS provider?

I am really looking for productive conversation, and my intent is not another EMS education sucks thread.

Take care,

chbare.

Edit: poll clarification.

Edited by chbare

I think it is important to understand anion/cation chemistry for any paramedic. Although my knowledge could always be expanded, at least I have a basic understanding of electrolytes, and anion gap analysis.

I also think it is good for Paramedics to understand free radicals, especially since we apply high concentrations of O2.

As far as how it changes my Tx.... I may not be so quick to throw on high flow O2 on EVERY chest pain, or CVA.

I may also be a little more cautious when rehydrating a hyperglycemic patient.

However, what do you guys think?

I think it should be a required prerequisite, or at least a co-requisite.

Is chemistry important, did you have chemistry, can you relate chemistry to critical aspects of your role as an EMS provider?

Sure chemistry is important. It is the basis of just about everything in the world.

Yes, I have had two semesters of college chemistry.

I can relate chemistry to aspects of EMS. It is important to understand acids and bases, electron chains, ions, and the things listed by Mobey. Chemistry sets our basis for understand more complicated physiology of the human body, such as the Krebs cycle, mechanisms by which drugs work in the body, action potentials and the like.

Knowledge is never a bad thing but I think basic chemistry should be a stand alone class and a prerequisite BEFORE you take your paramedic core curriculum. A good working knowledge of chemistry can better help you in understand things like shock, electrolytes, acid/base issues, pharmacology, and cardiology. I had quite a bit of chemistry in college, so when I went to paramedic school, I certainly had a leg up in understanding those areas when the time came.

Yes chemistry is important. Without it a relationship is doomed. :whistle:

Actually it makes sense that at least basic chemistry would be beneficial as we are introducing chemicals into patients bodys.

Chemistry should most definitely be a requirement to be a paramedic. I don't understand how you could understand most of what we do without a basic understanding of chemistry and biology. I had both in high school and now again in college and I am just now getting to really understanding chemistry. College level chemistry and biology should be required for paramedic school.

Yes. In addition to ions, moles, and everything else mentioned, a general chemistry series should also cover solutions, reaction thermodynamics, and enzymes. There's a reason I've been able to engage in some of the conversations on here that I have despite never taking a pharmacology course. The basic science of a lot of medicine is the same whether it's taught in a specialty course or in a general science course.

Yes. In addition to ions, moles, and everything else mentioned, a general chemistry series should also cover solutions, reaction thermodynamics, and enzymes. There's a reason I've been able to engage in some of the conversations on here that I have despite never taking a pharmacology course. The basic science of a lot of medicine is the same whether it's taught in a specialty course or in a general science course.

THe problem I have with specialty courses is that many times they are not transferrable as college credit outside the program. I spent a year studying to be an Xray tech, and the Radiologic Phsyics class I took was pretty intense, but I received no credit for it when I transferred to a 4 year school.

In other words, if you are going to spend the time studying, making it a legit college level course so you can apply it to any future plans you may have after- or in conjunction with- EMS-ie RN, PT, PA, or even MD. Of course you can tailor it to the EMS field if you so choose, but the fundamental principles are what's important.

Honestly, I have barely touched chemistry since 11th grade (6 years ago) and what was in the front of the A&P book for my nursing A&P (Marieb).

Now I have difficulty grasping acids and bases and some parts of intra/extracellular catons in the cardiac action potential because of it. I have even pulled out my old chemistry flash cards from school to try and get a leg up!

As far as our programs go the BSN requires a "science for health profesionals" class but our Paramedic degree does not specifically have a chem component but there is probably some in there somewhere.

Interestingly my Bledsoe Parmedic book contains no reference to chemistry whatsoever.

The very basics of everything we do comes down to chemistry. All the medications we give, come down to chemistry. The better understanding of the body, how it functions and what we give to patients, the better we can treat them. If we as paramedics, wish to be considered "competent" among peers such as RNs and MDs, we need to further our education outside of what is "needed" to treat a patient.

Many paramedic courses are very basic, such as everything is integrated into the class and squeezed into a few lectures. A lecture which is usually just read off a powerpoint from which was derived from the bullets in the text book. In my opinion, this is not enough. We want to call ourselves professionals, with minimal training.

If we have better understanding of how the body works, how the medications work, and how they react with the body it's possible to see further advancement in treatments. A lot of providers know what medication to give to what problem, but not many can explain how it works in the body. Why should they expect more options when they can't explain what they have already. (This does not mean ALL providers, just the ones who squeeze by with just what they need to know to get through.)

I took an advanced placement chemistry class in HS. It was very hard, but very informative. I did not take it very seriously though, and I barely passed... somehow. If those who really care about their career, and their patients, they will hopefully take the course, and take it seriously. I for one, would gladly step back into the class room. Mixing misc chemicals is fun right? :)